PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

perfection
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Apogee or Storm rev1? will be cooling a E6300.

Cheers!

Bail_w
05-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Apogee

Okda
05-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Apogee

but can't u get anything else ?

serialk11r
05-07-2007, 11:08 PM
I thought storm performed better...
Or did the bow mount increase the apogee's performance so?

perfection
05-07-2007, 11:31 PM
its the original apogee not the GT!

I'm about to build my watercooling again and I'm waiting for my new radiator to come.

I've got a few drawers filled with junk and one of them is my watercooling junk.

I've got some parts to pick from...

So I'm going with a Swiftech MCR220, Laing DDC with Petra's, apogee, and an EK FC8800GTX. just need to wait for the radiator to come :D

Okda
05-08-2007, 12:04 AM
the normal storm is very very restrictive that loosing a couple of C for better water loop performance specially since u will be using the EK block is the best idea IMHO

serialk11r
05-08-2007, 12:04 AM
the normal storm is very very restrictive that loosing a couple of C for better water loop performance specially since u will be using the EK block is the best idea IMHO

LOL just 4 months ago, everyone was saying the opposite :D "So what about the restriction, performance is better!!! Apogee isn't restrictive, and it sucks." Now: "ZOMG APOGEE IS SO RESTRICTIVE@!!! DTEK FUZION!!!"

Nanometer
05-08-2007, 12:12 AM
The storm is better, but not nearly enough to justify the cost for about all cases. I would stick with an Apogee.

serialk11r
05-08-2007, 12:28 AM
The storm is better, but not nearly enough to justify the cost for about all cases. I would stick with an Apogee.

If you read more carefully, he has both blocks, and is debating on which one to use. If he were to buy one of them, both would be illogical choices. Storm is very cheap now anyways.

septim
05-08-2007, 02:04 AM
well since he has em both anyways, let him try em both, and see for himself...
experiencing first hand would tell...

sbrehm72255
05-08-2007, 05:41 AM
I've got both the APOGEE (original 2 ea) and Storm (original) all sitting around as well.......;) I stopped using the Storm after I upgraded to a dual core CPU in a multi block loop, the APOGEE simple beat the performance of the Storm.............:)

IanY
05-08-2007, 06:09 AM
The original Apogee is a better block than the Storm. Nobody wanted to admit that from day one.

The original Apogee can also be bowed, with very good results. In fact, Swiftech will ship you the bowing O-ring for free if you give them a call.

Xavior
05-08-2007, 06:18 AM
LOL just 4 months ago, everyone was saying the opposite :D "So what about the restriction, performance is better!!! Apogee isn't restrictive, and it sucks." Now: "ZOMG APOGEE IS SO RESTRICTIVE@!!! DTEK FUZION!!!"

It's hard to compare the Apogee and the Storm anyway, as they're designed to remove heat in a different way. The Storm will perform fine in a low flow loop, but other components in the loop might suffer.

The original Apogee is a better block than the Storm. Nobody wanted to admit that from day one.

Better in what way?

perfection
05-08-2007, 04:58 PM
well since he has em both anyways, let him try em both, and see for himself...
experiencing first hand would tell...

I'm lazy when it comes to setting up WCing loops :lol:

Well the Apogee sounds like a better choice then, I'll swiftech a call for a the o-ring.

I really hated the storm, I set up my loop as Pump > EK FC > Storm > BIX2 > Res > pump again.

That way, the storm doesn't screw up the pressure for the EK block. Worked well but the flow almost trickles, and that's with a Laing DDC with Petra's

Thanks fellas

serialk11r
05-08-2007, 05:28 PM
It's hard to compare the Apogee and the Storm anyway, as they're designed to remove heat in a different way. The Storm will perform fine in a low flow loop, but other components in the loop might suffer.

Better in what way?
Several times less restriction, worked way better on large die/multi die, cheaper...storm will perform better on single dies but pressure drop is the key.

I'm lazy when it comes to setting up WCing loops :lol:

Well the Apogee sounds like a better choice then, I'll swiftech a call for a the o-ring.

I really hated the storm, I set up my loop as Pump > EK FC > Storm > BIX2 > Res > pump again.

That way, the storm doesn't screw up the pressure for the EK block. Worked well but the flow almost trickles, and that's with a Laing DDC with Petra's

Thanks fellas
You meant flow right?

perfection
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
lol, yeah I meant flow serialk11r

Xavior
05-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Several times less restriction, worked way better on large die/multi die, cheaper...storm will perform better on single dies but pressure drop is the key.

That pretty much depends on if you're looking at the performance/pressure drop ratio. If you're trying to squeeze out the last tiny bit of temp decrease, things like Storm are a good thing. (On small dies..) However, what does the future hold? I don't think we'll be getting a new impingement block soon, as with current blocks it's proven that a restrictive block is not necessarily a good block.