PDA

View Full Version : Loop overhaul - metal fittings

[XC] Angstrom
05-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Hey all, this is EquilibriumX on a new account. Maxxx did a great job modding the top of my case with a PA120.3 about a year ago.

Anyway, i'm due for an overhaul since my tubes are getting cloudy, and there's some sediment in the T-line. My AquaXtreme 50z is still going strong.

At this point, I am completely sick of plastic barb fittings. I have been using metal fittings on my PA and I love them - so i'd like to switch everything over to metal.
I have a Swiftech Storm Rev2 and MCW60 that still have plastic barbs (apart from the pump, but that can't be helped). I know there are a lot of G1/4 threaded fittings, but that they don't exactly fit the Storm and MCW60. I would like to have a very stable connection (leaks aren't fun), so are the barbs that Petra sells pretty good for these blocks? How well will they fit even if they have a slightly different threading? I know that there's some info in stickys about this, but i'm looking for user experience on how well it works.

I'm also thinking of switching from blue CCFLs to white, as I hear they look nice with Pentosin G11 and blue coolsleeves. The blue is a little overwhelming as it is now.

The pump is sitting on petras gel in the corner, are there any modifications to the layout you guys would recommend?

And there seems to be a lot of argument about this, but what IS the best way to clean copper blocks?

[XC] Angstrom
05-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Anyone?

safan80
05-06-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm not a fan of using ketchup to clean the blocks.
how about using this to clean copper? http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=50

hoax
05-06-2007, 05:34 PM
as far as barbs go:

for the storm/mcw60 either one of these 2:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/ekhifig1th1o.html

http://www.petrastechshop.com/dhifig1th1od.html

I would reccomend getting the dteks...they have the nicest finish I seen yet. (I also have a storm and a mcw60 and will be using the dteks..have some of each and a couple from danger den...nothing beats the dteks in terms of quality/looks IMHO)

:toast:

[XC] Angstrom
05-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Do you have to use two o-rings or anything? Or is it fine with the ones that come with the fittings.

I also like the D-tek, mostly because they match the aquaxtreme ones.

hoax
05-06-2007, 05:57 PM
they are more shiny then the aquaxtreme but they just look amazing.. just one o-ring does the job AFAIK

[XC] Angstrom
05-06-2007, 06:02 PM
I think the design is easy to get tubing on too. It took way too much effort to get masterkleer on the plastic swiftech barbs - with the aquaxtreme metal barbs only a couple of seconds.

Can anyone confirm the o-ring usage? I read a while ago that it was a concern.

Sparky
05-06-2007, 06:20 PM
One O-ring works fine for both the storm and the MCW60 when using the D-teks. the EK barbs won't fit on the MCW60 because of the flange that the MCW60 top has, while the D-teks fit down inside there perfectly.

[XC] Angstrom
05-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Fantastic! Thanks guys.

tw33ter
05-06-2007, 07:28 PM
that cleaner stuff from dtek looks just like the water based flux that you can buy at home depot...

MaxxxRacer
05-06-2007, 08:56 PM
sheogorath, why the name change? You do know its agaisnt forum rules to have 2 accounts.

secondly, your name is REALY similar to a current member "sheograth". Any reason for this?

Lastly, as you noticed, Petras has everything you need.

serialk11r
05-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Any acid will clean the oxidation...
Just remember, acids eat at metals, so whatever acid is used, WATCH the block. If you leave it in there nasty things might happen...

[XC] Angstrom
05-06-2007, 09:11 PM
sheogorath, why the name change? You do know its agaisnt forum rules to have 2 accounts.

secondly, your name is REALY similar to a current member "sheograth". Any reason for this?

Lastly, as you noticed, Petras has everything you need.

I don't use the other account, i'd delete it if I could. I have different names for different purposes (Forums, games, MMOs, other accounts, etc).
No reason at all.

Petras has everything I need indeed (except that copper cleaner, but i'll have to check out home depot for that), but it appears that my suspicions were correct in that some fittings "fit" better than others. Now off to petras to order.

serialk11r
05-06-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't use the other account, i'd delete it if I could. I have different names for different purposes (Forums, games, MMOs, other accounts, etc).
No reason at all.

Petras has everything I need indeed (except that copper cleaner, but i'll have to check out home depot for that), but it appears that my suspicions were correct in that some fittings "fit" better than others. Now off to petras to order.

I'd ask the admins to delete your old account then, you're not allowed to have 2 accounts.
The copper cleaner is just an acidic solution. Use toilet bowl cleaner, vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice, whatever, and when its shiny enough for you, wash it off.

[XC] Angstrom
05-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Any acid will clean the oxidation...
Just remember, acids eat at metals, so whatever acid is used, WATCH the block. If you leave it in there nasty things might happen...

So I guess that copper cleaner is just concentrated acetic acid?
May as well give white vinegar a try for a couple of hours. I remember what happened last time (even more tarnish) - I probably left it in too long.

MaxxxRacer
05-06-2007, 09:17 PM
So I guess that copper cleaner is just concentrated acetic acid?
May as well give white vinegar a try for a couple of hours. I remember what happened last time (even more tarnish) - I probably left it in too long.

vinegar+salt will act very quickly. Just make sure to wash it off with distilled water as soon as you pull it out or it will oxidize

I will get the old account disabled/deleted and change your title to "Formerly EquilibriumX"

serialk11r
05-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I tried using toilet bowl cleaner (pH of approx 1) on my "prototype" gpu block and it well...turned the copper uglier than it was before. After just seconds, the copper was shiny. I decided to leave it in for 20 minutes. Guess what happened? The copper turned red, and a variety of other colors, and I could see the damage done. With anything I'd watch the copper to see when the oxidation is gone. You don't want blotches everywhere that you'll have to lap off.

[XC] Angstrom
05-06-2007, 09:25 PM
vinegar+salt will act very quickly. Just make sure to wash it off with distilled water as soon as you pull it out or it will oxidize

I will get the old account disabled/deleted and change your title to "Formerly EquilibriumX"

Would it be easier to change the name of my old account? I figured the admins might have a problem with that.

(I sent a message to IMFU before I saw your edited post)