05-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Hi guys,

which PSU would you recommend for the following setup:

Core 2 Extreme QX6800
Asus Commando
4GB RAM
GeForce 8800 Ultra
4x Raptor
A drive or two and the normal other stuff...
WC

I can buy Thermaltake, Silverstone, Enermax, Seasonic...

I need the PSU to be as silent as possible, and capable of pulling the above system with some OC ok...

Personally, I was thinking of the Seasonic M12-700, but I'm not sure that that would be enough?

Thx in advance.

KTE
05-06-2007, 02:12 AM
I would say you should wait until some new PSUs come out with the REAL 8-pin PCI-E connectors, like the PC P&C Silencer Quad 750. Will leave you enough room to upgrade to the later cards that will be developed following the PCI-E 2.0 specs.

Yeah the M12 would be more than enough for one card, just make sure it has all the connectors you need. :D

lionel57000
05-06-2007, 02:22 AM
pc power&cooling 1 kw !!!!!!

http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T1KWSR

D_o_S
05-06-2007, 02:24 AM
pc power&cooling 1 kw !!!!!!

http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T1KWSR

Can't get PC Power and Cooling here...

And anyway, I think its too loud?

lionel57000
05-06-2007, 02:30 AM

are you sure ? they deliver everywhere in the world ....

and 1 kw has 5 years warranty, if one day you get 8800 ultra sli ....

KTE
05-06-2007, 02:42 AM

And anyway, I think its too loud?

Yes VERY loud! :nono:

D_o_S
05-06-2007, 02:46 AM
are you sure ? they deliver everywhere in the world ....

and 1 kw has 5 years warranty, if one day you get 8800 ultra sli ....

The taxes on it would be so high that I just can't get it...

Anyhow, KTE says its very loud, I would prefer as silent as possible...

Yes VERY loud! :nono:

lionel57000
05-06-2007, 03:33 AM
joke

i don t think they are loud

i have 2 of them, i sleep near , and i don t hear them

i don t know if these people have some to say the psu are loud,

i have 2 , one 1kw quad sli, and the new 1kw and i m very happy with them

perkam
05-06-2007, 03:58 AM
Stay away from overpriced PCP&C units.

The ST75ZF should handle that load fine, very much like the PCP&C 750w. (The OP750 being ideal, but marred by noise issues)

There is also the Enermax Galaxy 850w that can handle two ultras and a quad core.

The seasonic M12-700 would be a nice silent psu that WOULD handle your rig, but would not be recommended to run SLI on...not to mention i have no idea whether you're going for a 3.6ghz+ 24/7 on the quad with 700+/2200+ on the ultra...in which case you're better with a 750w psu.

Perkam

KTE
05-06-2007, 04:08 AM
lionel57000: That is wrong. Every PSU tester knows and thats why they nicknamed that a "leaf blower" :slapass:

They are known as one of the the, if not the loudest PSU on the market! Ask someone who actually knows and has tested many. :nono:

Jon Gerow: http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=49

The fan in the Turbo-Cool was NEVER quiet. By test 4, it kicked into high gear which is when it completely drowned out the load tester's fan. By test 9, you could easily hear the Turbo-Cool from clear across the room, even 20 feet away.

Results were relatively unchanged, even though the exhaust temperatures were as high as 52C, but I'm just going to come right out and say this.... the PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool is NOT the PSU for someone that wants a quiet PC. The fans were loud five minutes into test 1. By test 8, it easily drowned out everything in the room from the TV to my three year old daughter.

He specifically asked for a quiet PSU and you give him the loudest there is, @ 72dBA while quiet is around 19dBA and even though he doesn't need a 1kW PSU and they are DAMN too expensive and not worth it for that price! And yeah, we have tons of them at work where our lab engineer tests them before installation with a Chroma 8000 ATE, taking measurements that even PSU testers online don't understand how to as it's professional industry.

And FWIW before I spoke I made sure I used one too. :D The Enermax Infinity's are very good too, actually all the latest Enermax are solid units. But your choice of the M12 is fine for your needs.

D_o_S
05-06-2007, 05:20 AM
I was also thinking about the Enermax Galaxy DXX 1KW... opinions on that?

Also, how many versions of the Galaxy are there? 1 with no DXX, and 1 DXX version?

KTE
05-06-2007, 06:35 AM
I was also thinking about the Enermax Galaxy DXX 1KW... opinions on that?Top notch. I have one too for use in my main system. As close to silent at these loads as possible, with the correct new PCI-E 2.0 8-pin connectors that I need for my R600s. :D

Also, how many versions of the Galaxy are there? 1 with no DXX, and 1 DXX version?
Yup, two. :p: The early on is "non-DXX" and the later ones are named as "DXX". Both are top notch.

But then again, in all honesty, for one G80U, you don't need a 1kW at all. For SLi, then yes I would advise that. Your choice obviously, as it'll save you time and money when upgrading later if you do buy it now, but that's IF you upgrade in the next year or so to more power consuming components.

My main professional rig is much heavier loaded than yours and I use this Galaxy DXX 1kW and do know what it consumes in power accurately too. :)

D_o_S
05-06-2007, 07:36 AM
So, the DXX is the one to get? What is the difference between DXX and non DXX?

Also, the local store only has the Crossfire version... is that OK for SLI too?

And it is silent?

Anemone
05-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Perkam's right in line, don't need a 1k psu.
Silencer 750 would be fine and there is a 850 Galaxy too, but 750 (of which Silverstone also makes some nice ones) should be fine.

naokaji
05-06-2007, 09:14 AM
another vote for the Galaxy 850W, i'm very happy with mine.

D_o_S
05-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Hm,

I looked at Jonny Guru's site, he puts the Galaxy in tier 2, even though it has a lot of ripple in his tests?

What is the difference between Galaxy DXX and Galaxy?

theseeker
05-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Check this one http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=103
It has everything you need including 8 pin and the tests look better than the Galaxy and if you register online you get a lifetime warranty.

theteamaqua
05-06-2007, 02:22 PM
well a silent PSU needs to have at least 120mm fan .. 140mm fan would be nice .. cuz those 80mm fan is just too loud and i dont wanna risk my life/warranty to mod it

Anemone
05-07-2007, 01:48 AM
There are several options here that are all good. Because I took a chance and have one (and I worried myself that it might be loud) I'll note that the Silencer 750 is not loud despite having a 80mm fan design. So I'll pass along that reassurance. I do not think you need anything in the higher end PCP&C line, but that this model was more in line with what you were looking for.

However a range of options is before you, and seems quite a few are all about equal choices. I made mine, but could easily have gone with the Galaxy 850 as well. Though even that seems a bit over your needs. It may give you some assurance however, but I think 700-750 is more than plenty.

KTE
05-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Hm,

I looked at Jonny Guru's site, he puts the Galaxy in tier 2, even though it has a lot of ripple in his tests?

What is the difference between Galaxy DXX and Galaxy?

Tests vary on who tests them, their method and which unit. Each unit differs. The Ultra X3 is the worst cooler out of them that I've seen, and the temps are one bad sign as it kills the PSU quicker than anything. It 47C intake had 70C exhaust when fully loaded in the hotbox when Galaxy is like 34C intake AND exhaust, so that X3 is not as good and it will be louder as the fan is smaller and working much harder. The DXX is much more efficient aswell and the voltage regulation is WAYYY better.
That Galaxy dropped like 0.2V across the full load range in the hotbox on the 12V rails and the X3 dropped 0.4V on one rail with lower efficiency too.

The DXX is better than the non-DXX version and newer. It doesn't have the ripple issues. And his marking is very strict, ask end users, theres no problems with it at all. Its probably the upper high class unit there is for end users.

p8ntslinger676
05-07-2007, 10:40 PM
i highly recommend any silverstone psu, i suggest one of the zeus'

quiet, lots of power and very clean looking, plus its a teir 1 psu. I had no problems forking over the $ for it

adamsleath
05-07-2007, 10:46 PM
zippy 800w 150Amp :D
ps-6800psl

p8ntslinger676
05-07-2007, 10:48 PM
zippy 800w 150Amp :D

:D that would be a great psu to have.

serialk11r
05-07-2007, 10:50 PM
There is no need for a PSU above 600W... a 500W will probably cut it for that setup. Just look at what NickS did :fact:
Guys read some PSU tests...they're what tell us what's a good PSU and what's a bad one.

Anemone
05-08-2007, 04:01 AM
I said 700-750 for 2 reasons:

the psu will slowly lose ground over a couple years - not much but some

the next few generations of gpu cards I think are going to get even scarier than now, and power requirements may go up, even on a single gpu (seeing the change between a 6800 and a 8800 and projecting)

So I didn't want him quite so close to the minimum which I think is in the 500 to 600 area. Not that I'm any kind of psu wiz or anything, so take with a grain of salt.

Friedchicken
05-14-2007, 01:49 PM
have a look at the corsair 620hx. silent, modular, black, excellent efficiency, 5 yr warantee and priced to sell.