PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe to do?

Spawne32
05-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Ok heres the situation, i cant spend no more money on this PC, thats the bottom line, i bought a vantec nexus fan controller for the outside of the comp so that i coulld control these ebmpapst fans and the fan that came with my V1, problem is i did not realize that with the fans on super low on the old rheobuses, it was running them at 5v, the nexus only runs them at 7v at the lowest, is it possible to run nexus>zalman fan mate 2 > papst fan or would having two rheobuses on the same line damage the controller?

apexracing
05-04-2007, 11:24 PM
You only need one controller for a fan, having the fan mate connected with the Nexus fan controller doesn't make sense. Furthermore, having fans connected to both controllers, doubles the resistance, which could leave you with fans that don't power up.

There is only need to have one way to control the fans, either with the Nexus unit, or the fan mate. I'm sure as to whether this could damage anything, but I certainly wouldn't do it myself.

Spawne32
05-04-2007, 11:33 PM
You only need one controller for a fan, having the fan mate connected with the Nexus fan controller doesn't make sense. Furthermore, having fans connected to both controllers, doubles the resistance, which could leave you with fans that don't power up.

There is only need to have one way to control the fans, either with the Nexus unit, or the fan mate. I'm sure as to whether this could damage anything, but I certainly wouldn't do it myself.

i need to do somthing to get the fans at 5v, since the nexus on the front panel only goes down to 7v, the plan was to turn the front panel down to 7v and then have it running to the fanmate which would be turned down by 2v which would equal a total output to the fan itself of 5v, im just concered as to whether the rheobus creating resistance effects the first controller in the setup any.

cantankerous
05-05-2007, 05:17 AM
i understand you dont want to spend more money but can you afford $13 for a Sunbeam Rheobus? They literally go down to 0v/off up to 12v. Very nicely built but needs a 5.25" drive bay to mount it.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Sunbeam-5-1-4-Rheobus-Kit-BLACK-pr-2530.html

Spawne32
05-05-2007, 08:47 AM
i understand you dont want to spend more money but can you afford $13 for a Sunbeam Rheobus? They literally go down to 0v/off up to 12v. Very nicely built but needs a 5.25" drive bay to mount it.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Sunbeam-5-1-4-Rheobus-Kit-BLACK-pr-2530.html

well really this is how i want the rig setup now :/ it will be no problem the fan mates are already mounted inside of the case, only question is... does it create resistance that could damage the nexus?