PDA

View Full Version : When will alpha builds of Longhorn hit the net??

Brothernod
06-29-2002, 07:36 AM
I'm curious about the new OS, and I know it isn't supposed to be released till 2004, but I know things hit the net early.

They are promising a lot of differences plus the 3d accelerated GUI.

jmke
07-17-2002, 03:45 AM
When will alpha builds of Warcraft 5 hit the net ?? :rolleyes:

Brothernod
07-17-2002, 05:43 AM
Well i've never seen an alpha build of a Blizzard game, but on their current release schedule I'd estimate about 12 years.

but Longhorn is a MS os, and i've always heard about their beta's hitting the net. So I was just curious becuase I'm loooking foward to seeing what they do with it since it's supposed to be their next big change.

jmke
07-17-2002, 06:11 AM
Well i've never seen an alpha build of a Blizzard game.

Warcraft 3? :p

I saw a .wmv file made from a bunch of screencaps of the new OS
but it looks hardly in any state to be distributed
not even close to Alpha stage
This summer: XP SP1
next spring: XP SE

everything else is unsure :)
XP was released way earlier then planned. Maybe it will become a tradition, hopefully not crippling everything

in general XP is SLOW compared to Windows 2000 for desktop work

moving from a 1ghz tbird Win2k to 1.6ghz XP2000+ WinXP had no performance boost. I reinstalled the 1.6ghz with Win2k and I noticed a big speedjump
same thing now when I upgraded to a P41.6@2.4, WinXP is fast, but as fast as Win2000

They should spend more time optimising Windows to be come more speedier, slicker and overall fast to use. Instead of trying to add movie-special-effects-alike which do not add a sole thing to the usability!

Brothernod
07-17-2002, 07:41 AM
Well i in no way want them to rush the product out, and I know it's scheduled for a 2004 release.

I knew about the beta for War3, but that was, as I said, a beta.
I'm wondering about the quickest way I'd be able to see the new os and what they're thinking and that would be an alpha build.

I'd like to see the direct x accelerated gui and the database based structure.

think u could pass the pics my way??