PDA

View Full Version : Restarts/Lockups??

liloaty
05-04-2007, 05:07 AM
Hopefully someone can help me out here, this has been a very frustrating experience but I am pretty sure I know whats going on. Here is what I am using

Crucial Ballistix PC2 6400
Rosewill 400W PS
Sapphire x1650
ECS 650i board
E4300 L2 stepping

The boards VDIMM has the option for 2.2, but can only hit 2.08 volts (tried with 2 power supplies). The ballistix are rated at 2.2V. I can get the system to boot at 2.5ghz with the ram at 5 5 5 15 2T at 740mhz. I can run Prime95 with small FFTs and everything is fine. Anytime I start taxing the RAM with a blend the system freezes or reboots itself. I am 99% positive this is due to the RAM not being able to get its spec voltage. Any other ideas would be appreciated as I am about to return this board and go with something else.

Boogerlad
05-04-2007, 06:07 AM
that rosewill psu is wayyyyy underpowered, u need something with a 80+ % efficiency rating and from a good brand like ocz. Also, if your psu is like rated at 400 watts at 25 degrees celcius, then it's a actually pushing out about 250 watts cause your psu is at 50 degrees celcius due to it being inside a case and your case being really hot. When you're looking for a psu, look for high efficiency (above 75), good temp ratings (operates at xxx watts at 50 degrees celcius), good reviews and nice amount of amps on 12 v rail

sofarfrome
05-04-2007, 06:17 AM
There is nothing wrong with your memory or board, you really need to get a new PSU. I have seen Corsair HX520s for around $100. It will be the best $100 you will ever spend.

liloaty
05-04-2007, 08:54 AM
I really don't believe its the power supply at this point, I've tested it with multiple power supplies that are known good in systems with very similar setups

apexracing
05-04-2007, 10:09 AM
I really don't believe its the power supply at this point, I've tested it with multiple power supplies that are known good in systems with very similar setups

It may be fine for running most stock speeds but, overclocking really puts it under more stress. This is where it falls on its face. Buy a better PSU and save yourself the stress.

Emerica
05-04-2007, 10:17 AM

With your system and an overclocked CPU, I truly think that it is the power supply not being able to handle it. My reccomendation is to buy a better power supply from a reputable brand like: OCZ, Antec, FPS, PC P&C, etc. Also Rosewill isn't the best power supply manufacturer and if it were me, I wouldn't risk my system with a cheapo power supply.

It's not that the power supply is not in working condition it's that it's not up to the standards to be used in an overclocked system. One of the most vital parts of a computer, especially when overclocking is the PSU.

liloaty
05-04-2007, 11:30 AM
I just find it odd that a known good power supply from a very similar, and overclocked setup, while in this new setup is crashing. Don't get me wrong, the power supply was/is cheap. This is a build for a friend of mine and it wasn't really easy to try and get him to spend $100 on a power supply. I guess I will try it again or just leave it as it is. Thanks for the input.

hstuehmeyer2000
05-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Rosewill 400W PS

its that pos, i had one one time, could not get over 2.4ghz with my 3000+ got i new psu and i was getting 2.6+