PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking my QX6700...HELP PLEASE

7499richard
05-02-2007, 08:55 AM
I am trying to oc my qx6700 to 3.8GHz or 4 if I can get there with good temps.

I have a striker extreme mobo

Anyway I am trying to get to 3.8 with a fsb of 1280, and 12 multi, so 320 * 12 = 3840.

But starting off slow with a only 11 multi and trying to get ram stable.

I set my ram to 1066, with 5-5-5-15, 2t timings. And my cpu to 320*11.

Comment about the memory voltage. My ram reccomends 2.1V but when overclocking on this board I have been told, and I can say that with lower voltage you can get more stable.

I set my voltages as follows:
Vcore: 1.525V
1.2VHT: 1.3V
Memory: 2.025V
NB: 1.4V
SB: auto
CPUVTT: 1.4V

I was using 2.075 ram voltage, and memtest86+ would report many errors. Lowered the ram voltage to 2.025 and the errors are gone, but:

Memtest runs through the first 4 test fine, no errors or problems. But test 5 freezes, or prints random characters all over the screen.

To me this does not sound like a memory problem because like I said when the voltage was set to 2.075 there were errors, and memtest reported them correctly, but now the program reports no errors it just freezes or goes to jibberish.

Does anybody know what test 5 does, I am leaning toward a CPU problem but I dont no.

I did play the the 1.2VHT, NB, CPU VTT voltages and no better luck. Also the cpu voltage, I set it to 1.575 in bios, and bios hardware monitor reported 1.5V Vcore. But i brought it down I don't think it should need that at a mild 3.5GHz.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Speederlander
05-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I am trying to oc my qx6700 to 3.8GHz or 4 if I can get there with good temps.

I have a striker extreme mobo

Anyway I am trying to get to 3.8 with a fsb of 1280, and 12 multi, so 320 * 12 = 3840.

But starting off slow with a only 11 multi and trying to get ram stable.

I set my ram to 1066, with 5-5-5-15, 2t timings. And my cpu to 320*11.

Comment about the memory voltage. My ram reccomends 2.1V but when overclocking on this board I have been told, and I can say that with lower voltage you can get more stable.

I set my voltages as follows:
Vcore: 1.525V
1.2VHT: 1.3V
Memory: 2.025V
NB: 1.4V
SB: auto
CPUVTT: 1.4V

I was using 2.075 ram voltage, and memtest86+ would report many errors. Lowered the ram voltage to 2.025 and the errors are gone, but:

Memtest runs through the first 4 test fine, no errors or problems. But test 5 freezes, or prints random characters all over the screen.

To me this does not sound like a memory problem because like I said when the voltage was set to 2.075 there were errors, and memtest reported them correctly, but now the program reports no errors it just freezes or goes to jibberish.

Does anybody know what test 5 does, I am leaning toward a CPU problem but I dont no.

I did play the the 1.2VHT, NB, CPU VTT voltages and no better luck. Also the cpu voltage, I set it to 1.575 in bios, and bios hardware monitor reported 1.5V Vcore. But i brought it down I don't think it should need that at a mild 3.5GHz.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

3.8 to 4 GHz OC on a QX6700? Hope you are using phase or you have a golden CPU + very good water cooling, because very very few people get that OC on air stable (actually none that I can recall). I mean, I have posted at up to 4 GHz on my QX6700, but no way can I keep it stable on air. I run at 3.33 GHz/1333 FSB and 1.3625 vcore for 24/7, which gives me up to high 60's orthos/prime after a 24 hour run. You could easily need 1.5 vcore for 3.5 GHz depending on your chip. 3.5 GHz isn't really a "mild" OC for this chip. Some people can barely break 3 GHz no matter what they do. It's luck of the draw. Some chips clock far better than others.

7499richard
05-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Obivously you cannot run that on air, yes I have water.

I was just doing some testing with the chip at 3.84GHz, I set my ram to stock values and it worked out.

but it fails prime 95(the quad core one). I set it to small FFT's so I know its cpu problem. One of the 4 instances fails, the other 3 continue to run nicely.

I set my Vcore to 1.625V in bios, and under load using everest just before the one instance fails the Vcore is 1.54V.

Does this sound like its voltage related? Should I go higher?

I was able to run 3dmark06 fine and posted a 5989 CPU score. Not too shabby.

But it isn't stable, should I push the cpu voltage more, or should I try some other voltage, like the NB.

Pedro Rocha
05-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Your did the same post on XtremeSystems Forums > Xtreme > Xtreme Overclocking > in the post "Question about my overclock and memtest86+ " - Deleted

Please do not duplicate your posts - XS users will help your for sure, you don't need a dup post.

Thanks

7499richard
05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Your did the same post on XtremeSystems Forums > Xtreme > Xtreme Overclocking > in the post "Question about my overclock and memtest86+ " - Deleted

Please do not duplicate your posts - XS users will help your for sure, you don't need a dup post.

Thanks

Yes sorry about that I did not no how to delete it, I posted there first but this seemed like a better place to put it.

Anyway any comments on my second post in here?
Thanks

Speederlander
05-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Obivously you cannot run that on air, yes I have water.

I was just doing some testing with the chip at 3.84GHz, I set my ram to stock values and it worked out.

but it fails prime 95(the quad core one). I set it to small FFT's so I know its cpu problem. One of the 4 instances fails, the other 3 continue to run nicely.

I set my Vcore to 1.625V in bios, and under load using everest just before the one instance fails the Vcore is 1.54V.

Does this sound like its voltage related? Should I go higher?

I was able to run 3dmark06 fine and posted a 5989 CPU score. Not too shabby.

But it isn't stable, should I push the cpu voltage more, or should I try some other voltage, like the NB.

Temps are?