PDA

View Full Version : XP2000+ OCed @ 1.8Ghz but High Temps PLEASE HELP!

synnyster
06-28-2002, 10:31 PM
I overclocked my XP2000+ to 1.8Ghz. It seems to be stable but the temperature of the CPU hovers around 58C with a Volcano7 heatsink+fan and 7 case fans! (4 intake, 2 side blowers, 1 exhaust, and PCI blower). Even without overclocking the system, the temperature stays relatively the same as overclocking.

I've even cleaned up the case and stuck the wires neatly to the side for better air flow. I've tried the retail heatsink+fan, but that hovers around 62C. I've also tried the Dragon Orb3, but it hovers around 60C. I dunno what to do. I am gonna keep the Volcano7 because I'm tired of returning stuff and wasting my time(Volcano7 should be plenty enough power too). Right now I have the side panel open with a small room fan blowing into it, which keeps CPU temp at 54C and system temp at 38C (and all this is in idel).

Anyone have any ideas why the temp stays so high for no reason??? I'm worried because I keep reading how people keep their CPUs around 48C. Someone please help.

IFMU
06-28-2002, 10:57 PM
First off, You only need to post this up once. Not twice up. I deleted the other. This will be moved to cooling due to that is what your looking for.

Second, welcome to the sickness.

Third, If youve tested everything youve stated so far I would presume its 1 of 2 things.
1: Thats the best that hsf can do under the circumstances.
2: Have you lapped the heatsink? That can make a huge difference in temps.
What kind of thermal goo are you using? Arctic Silver of any kind? Or just generic goo?

IFMU

IFMU
06-28-2002, 11:00 PM
Another side note, it is possible even with all those fans that your not getting the best ventilation out of it. A great way to test this, take off the side of your case, place a large box fan, or just something that will force serious airflow. If the temps drop any, then that might be something you want to look further into. If it doesnt, then you know you have good enough airflow in and out of the case.

LORD
06-28-2002, 11:11 PM
I am not certain but does the Gigabyte GA-7VRX read the insocket thermistor or the on die temp. This could account for higher cpu readings. However probably not.

Your mention of 38 degrees with in the case will make for some toasty temps of the cpu. In that case 54 degrees on the cpu is not out of the question. You need to improve your cooling and or the design of your cooling setup.

Only other possibility is that the readings may be off. Once again 38 degrees in the case with side off and with a fan blowing is fairly high unless your room temperature is close to that level, in which case you have to lower those temps somehow.

synnyster
06-29-2002, 07:20 AM
I've had the side panel off with a medium sized fan blowing into it. It doesn't drop the temps down too much. CPU temp is around 54C and system is 38C. Not a significant drop in temp. I think the airflow is fine because I have messed with the fan configuration for hours.

I did use some thermal paste for the heatsink. I bought a syringe of coolermaster thermal paste. Maybe it isn't the greatest paste. Maybe I should get some arctic silver, but I don't wanna spend $12 on a tube of that just yet.

Hardass
06-29-2002, 08:03 AM
First where are you getting temps from? Next your fan setup has 7 fans only 1 exhaust, you need to even out the fans, Try to have equal amounts of air coming in and going out. Next how much thermal goo did you put on cpu? I am running 2000+ at 1821MHz, Temps by MBM are sys=26c, cpu38c. My DD5 with a sensor touching side of cpu reads 48c. HSF setup is, AX7 with Delta 68cfm fan. Case has 2-80mm intake and 2-80mm exhaust. This is running Folding and Seti at same time. I hope this info helps.

Hardass
06-29-2002, 08:10 AM
Forgot to ask what voltage you running?

synnyster
06-29-2002, 01:53 PM
1.85Vcore

I decided to change up my fan setup and have all my fans blowing air out. This seams to work better than my previous setup with 4 intake up front, 2 side blowers, and 2 exhast. I'm thinking about drilling a hole up top and putting a 92mm fan up there. But running idle, my temps are now around 55C for CPU and 39C for system. Maybe my heat sensor is wrong or something, I'm just using the Gigabyte software that came with it to check the temp. The BIOS reads the same temps as well. Is there a more accurate way to check the temp without buying expensive equipment?

Hardass
06-29-2002, 02:02 PM
You should download MBM LINK (http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=311) and you have all your fans running exhaust which means there is no cool air being pulled into case. You should make sure you have good contact between hs and cpu. If you put a large amount of thermal goo on cpu it will cause high temps.

synnyster
06-29-2002, 04:39 PM
I just redid the heatsink+fan on my CPU. I put a really thin coat of coolermaster thermal paste on it. It seems to have dropped my CPU temp down by like 2 degrees C. Although at idle, my CPU still runs 56C and system 42C. I'm thinking about drilling a hole on top of my case to put 92mm fan. Do you think my system will be okay at 56C and 42C at idle?

Hardass
06-29-2002, 04:46 PM
Your hsf is it blowing into the cpu or sucking air away? Did you change case fans so equal air is blowing into case, not all exhaust.

synnyster
06-29-2002, 06:01 PM
The HSF I believe is blowing on the chip. I left it as is when I bought it. I only have 2 side fans blowing air in. This configuration seems to give me the best CPU temp. But if I do this, the system temp seems to go up a bit. I might just go back to all fans blowing out, which worked pretty well. When I have the four fans up front blowing air in, it didn't do anything for the temps.

Hardass
06-29-2002, 06:06 PM
First verify hsf is blowing air on cpu, is your sys running overclocked?

synnyster
06-29-2002, 10:46 PM
Yes it is. Overclocked to 1.8Ghz. And yes, the fan is blowing on the CPU.

Hardass
06-30-2002, 04:47 AM
This is opinion only. I would not run mine at that temp for long periods. I would back it down, and try diff cooling solutions untill I found the one that worked best. Then crank her back up. If your in the 50,s at idle you will hit 60 when you put load on it. Too Hot. Consider diff HSF combo. And some AS3. What fan is on HS now. Did you download MBM?

Hardass
06-30-2002, 04:51 AM
Just went through entire thread. You need to get another method of reading temps to verify your mobo is giving correct temps.

synnyster
06-30-2002, 07:30 AM
What other methods would you suggest? The best idle temp I can keep CPU at is 55C right now.

Hardass
06-30-2002, 07:33 AM
You need to download Motherboard Monitor and install before you change anything else. You have to verify temps your getting from mobo are correct.

synnyster
06-30-2002, 07:55 AM
I have MBM5. It reads 55C and 39C at idle.

Hardass
06-30-2002, 08:02 AM
Whats the temp in the room where rig is located?

LORD
06-30-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Hardass
Whats the temp in the room where rig is located?

This is something I asked synnyster before. If a high ambient it would be impossible to cool properly.

synnyster, may I suggest to you. Get a better air cooled heatsink. Like an ALPHA 8045 or Swiftech MCX 462. With a high performance DELTA 68 - 80 cfm fan. You'll never look back again at those other heatsinks.

(4 intake, 2 side blowers, 1 exhaust, and PCI blower). Even without overclocking the system, the temperature stays relatively the same as overclocking.

You have too many fans blowing in. With not much extraction. Air has no where to go. This will heat up the case. No matter what heatsink you use. They are only as good as the surrounding air which they use via the fan to cool.

You should work it out that you have only a slight positive air pressure in the case.

EDIT: Don't know what happened there. Page went funny and couldn't finish what I was writin'!!??

synnyster
06-30-2002, 08:30 AM
Room temp is around 76F.

Hardass
06-30-2002, 08:34 AM
I agree with LORD, switch HS you could also use the AX7 and Delta 68cfm which is what I use it is 5c cooler then the Alpha 8045. I have a Alpha PAL 8045 I will send you if you would like to try it, you pay shipping.

synnyster
06-30-2002, 09:02 AM
I'd love to try it. Where are you located?

Hardass
06-30-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by synnyster
I'd love to try it. Where are you located?

Miami, Fl. PM me your address I,ll box it up and get a price on shipping and let you know tomorrow from work.

synnyster
06-30-2002, 09:17 AM
I emailed my address to you.

LORD
06-30-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Hardass
I agree with LORD, switch HS you could also use the AX7 and Delta 68cfm which is what I use it is 5c cooler then the Alpha 8045. I have a Alpha PAL 8045 I will send you if you would like to try it, you pay shipping.

I didn't reaslise those AX7's were that good. :eek: Alphas are generally about the same A mc462's. Either way, air cooling has it's limitations and only goes so far.

I'm still using the MC462-A with DELTA 80(*LOUD*) though. I like the through m/b mounting:)

Hardass
06-30-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by synnyster
I emailed my address to you.

Did not get your address, use my email link in sig.

synnyster
07-01-2002, 08:49 AM
Sent it again.

Hardass
07-01-2002, 09:23 AM
Did not get address, are you getting PM,s. Send address through PM.

synnyster
07-01-2002, 11:26 AM
Okay, finally, I sent you the PM. I was sending email the whole time.

Hardass
07-01-2002, 11:53 AM
Got it!:banana:

LORD
07-02-2002, 12:47 AM
Hardass,

That is a nice thing that you did for him. Just thought I'd comment on that. :)

synnyster,

You should make certain of placing a good fan on there as well. Like a Delta 68 - 80 cfm. Loud I know, but that's what you need to really keep cool.

Also some links for helping design airflow in your case.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23794.pdf

http://www.intel.com/design/Quality/pcdesign/ducts.htm

LORD

ezeKieL
07-20-2002, 01:00 PM
yea that is cool man....im new to these forums and have been a member to others, but have never seen anything like this before....right on man! i give you props...:D :toast:

Blood666
08-04-2002, 10:15 PM
I'm at 37°C on my cpu ;)

Lionsgraphics
08-09-2002, 11:08 AM
7 case fans! (4 intake, 2 side blowers, 1 exhaust, and PCI blow )
i think HERE"S the problem, look 6 fans blowin air in right ?
this huge amount of air that being pulled inside gettin' hot and uhh i guess this 1 exhaust can't pull this air out of there, man there's TOO much air inside, that's gettin' hot cause of your hot components, my suggestion, get 2 more exhaust fans ( fast ones ) , or just put 1 intake to exhaust.

one more thing V7 is great HSF when CPU is idle.
when u r playin' games it can't hold temp.
man i have ICQ , MIRC , 4 browsers all other sh** opened, it's 39 degrees with OC'd processor from 1600mhz to 1733 ( amd 1900+ ), as soon as i start game, temps gettin' higher in 30 mins i got 52.
so if u r OC'er and like to stress your cpu get another fan. if u OC and just do couple of benchmarks and most of the time your cpu is idle, it's best value, wait V9 is a little better for that.

P.S. sorry if someone already gave that first advice, didn't notice ;_)