PDA

View Full Version : SB Cooling ?

DavidP
04-30-2007, 11:58 AM
I know there have been some threads on this but can't find them so sorry for the repeat. I'm thinking about cooling my SB on my EVGA 680i. Currently my loop is only cooling my CPU and NB. I have a PA 120.3 so i believe it shouldn't be a problem to add it into my loop with minimal heat increase. Is it worth it or should i just add a fan for the SB ?

Makubex_GB
04-30-2007, 12:22 PM
IMO, it's not worth it. Some good active air cooling on SB is good enough.

SNiiPE_DoGG
04-30-2007, 12:37 PM
yes this i probably correct, although my south bridge gets quite toasty at points ;)

ranker
04-30-2007, 12:46 PM
680i boards get ridiculously hot. I was sitting at 60C before going water. Now I'm at a nice 32-36C. I'd recommend if you already have a loop setup that would need only minor modifications. I hate noise altogether. EVGA's own fan upgrade and even the Evercool fan make too much of a whiney noise. If you'd still prefer to not WC, I can only recommend the Thermalright HR-05. The only downside is that it is huge and care must be taken to not short your SLI graphics cards.

Solarfall
04-30-2007, 01:14 PM
ah the much debated issue.. imo its not worth it, with my board with max voltage it does not get hot at all.. maybe the heatpipe contraption on these evga mobos is really good or there is something else that is not making the SB to run hot.. i've tested with a thermometer and with max voltage the SB block is 22-25c if i stress the system.

how hot does your SB get while your system is under stress?

NaeKuh
04-30-2007, 02:10 PM
I know there have been some threads on this but can't find them so sorry for the repeat. I'm thinking about cooling my SB on my EVGA 680i. Currently my loop is only cooling my CPU and NB. I have a PA 120.3 so i believe it shouldn't be a problem to add it into my loop with minimal heat increase. Is it worth it or should i just add a fan for the SB ?

hello david.

currently, the MCW30 is undergoing a revision so SB mounting can be more stable and firm contact possible.

Gabe said the new kits should come with it, however i would give it about 2-3 weeks b4 you go out shopping for one.

If you didnt get one, gabe said you can contact swiftech directly and request a mail out package for aroune 5 dollars.

Lastly, if your in a rush, a few people have done a very good and successful SB mount:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0592.jpg

That is how i did it. One screw is inverted bolt top, and the other bolt down. The bolt down acts as a guide so i can get a more secure mount.

Another method is to cut your stock screws down a bit, and bolt down both applications. This is very hard, because getting a secure mount at start with short screws can lead your mounting to stray.

I had to remount my SB about 3-4 times to get it done perfectly.

The EK NF4 will fit nicely in that spot as well. Something you should take a look at if swiftech isnt your thing.

-Peace

theseeker
04-30-2007, 02:20 PM
MIPS coolers from Germany work great. They are G 1/4 so you can easily find fittings for them. The top block is the SB block.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/theseekeroffun/IMG_0813.jpg

And it works in SLI.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/theseekeroffun/IMG_0820.jpg

DavidP
04-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the response guys ... i think I'm gonna go with the Swifttech MCW30.