PDA

View Full Version : The point of Vmods?

dstanley
06-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Just wondering what are Vmods for?

Are they harmless and where can they be used?

DR. YT
06-11-2003, 11:26 AM
a volt mod is when you decrease the resistance in a specific circut to get more voltage to a specific part of you pc. yes they can be dangerous and can kill a board and sometimes things atatched to the board. the reason for doing this is to atain higher overclocks. they can be used on mobo mem, cpu, and the chipset among other things. and con be used on video mem and gpu. i can not stress this enugh though do your homework befor you volt mod any thing and i dont mean just read one article for the mod you want to do. i mean read every thing you can before doing this. good luck and welcome to xtreme:D

dstanley
06-11-2003, 11:33 AM
After a Vmod is done, is the componant automatically faster? Or is some sort of tweak necessary in software or hardware.

Tekime
06-11-2003, 11:46 AM
dstanley, a voltage mod simply provides a given chip with the voltage it needs to attain higher clock speeds. As you increase the clock speed of a given chip, its power demands increase as well. Once you have supplied that voltage, you still need to increase the frequency (clock speed) of the chip in order to take advantage of that extra juice.

Do you have a vmod in mind, or just curious?

dstanley
06-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Well i have no experience penciling or welding.

Not even sure what each involves and what tools. If a lead pencil is what used etc :)

I'm curious because of what i have here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=160695#post160695