PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 or Asus P5B

leon_
04-26-2007, 03:33 PM
hello, i'm buying new mboard for my intel system conf. cpu is E4300.

i need stabile and solid overclocking motherboard in this price rang. what is best choice between this two?

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2314

Asus P5B
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&model=1178&modelmenu=1

aclim
04-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Ive had both. I had a P5B "vanilla" and a P5B-E. They vanilla had a few problems so I switched it out for the p5b-e. Its ok.... I just bought a DS3 3.3 board and im awaiting it, im gonna give it a try and see if I can get better clocks with it. The asus boards do have a vdrop which I hate and thats another reason why I just got the ds3

leon_
04-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Ive had both. I had a P5B "vanilla" and a P5B-E. They vanilla had a few problems so I switched it out for the p5b-e. Its ok.... I just bought a DS3 3.3 board and im awaiting it, im gonna give it a try and see if I can get better clocks with it. The asus boards do have a vdrop which I hate and thats another reason why I just got the ds3

i dont like cold boot problem on DS3 rev1, i wonder if rev3.3 has same problem.

post opinion when you got DS3

dnottis
04-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I've owned P5B-E, P5B Deluxe, DS3 rev 1 and DS3 rev 3.3.

The rev 3.3 killed a stick of memory. Stick with the Asus boards they are better.

BlazingArrow
04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
dude, between those boards definitely get the DFI 965 dark...

:D

hausner
04-26-2007, 04:49 PM
wait 1 week and add some $ and buy DFI dark 965 :)

Shaggy
04-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I had a DS3 and it messed up my memory, had to RMA it.

I've never messed with the nvidia boards and am debating buying the p5n32-e but my vanilla has been a great board for what I paid for it. Can hit 500 but past that it seems to have trouble. Since you are going for a E4300 I'd get the P5B.

little_scrapper
04-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Most likely if you get a DS3 and an E4300 you will hit a FSB wall of around 370-380. I would say 9 0f 10 peeps with this settup, same one I have, have this same problem. And I have talked to alot of people about it. I do not know if the P5B's will have the same problem. It may be the limit of the CPU after all. Lowering the multiplier made no difference in my ability to raise the FSB on the DS3 rev3.3.

I leave the CPU multiplier at 9x and run 334fsb for a 3.00Ghz. With memory on 2.5x for DDR 835. Running an almost 70% OC is nothing to sneeze at. And its stable all day long. So I am not saying dont get the DS3. I know that people who have the E6XXX cpu's have had awsome luck with the DS3 rev3.3 and can generally break 450 fsb with ease. That is what everyone is saying anyways. Ill let you know when I upgrade my cpu.

My readings, and I have done lot, have indicated that the P5B-E and P5B Deluxe are pretty much the best P965 overclocking boards. But these and the newest boards seem to be priced out of the relm of this discussion.

The latest DS3's natively support 1333FSB CPU's, that may or may not be a consideration.

As for you question as to which one is better, although I have no personal experience with the P5B, I would say with relative confidance that it will be 6 of one or half a dozen of the other. They both have the exact same NB and SB chips so basically everything running on the boards are running through the exact same chips and therefore are going to tend to run fairly identicle. Reviews and comparisons have confirmed this difference to be maybe 1%. If you get a good board of either brand you should be fine. Besides we are still talking about the lowest end Core 2 duo here, no point in getting worry lines over it. :) And dont let the ASUS fanboi's tell you that "asus is just better" cause asus has the same issues everyone else does. ;) They may or may not be better.

leon_
04-27-2007, 03:10 AM
thanks little_scrapper

think i will go for DFI 965

theakstone
04-27-2007, 07:04 AM
hi

This is a little relevant to me, too as I was considering these boards.

I looked at the dfi myself, there are a few drawbacks,

no overclock save profiles.
jumpers for changing the graphics slots speeds over ie not in bios.

may be a few others, can't recall now, read the manual a few days ago.

Its likely the latter won't be revamped with the bios, as its a manual changeover.

But the former, maybe possible.

Its got solid caps and its cheap too, it could be the next competitor for the gig and p5b, and its good to see a 3rd choice.

Personally I am not a dfi person, so I don't think I will go for this board.

Also bear in mind the bios is brand new, and the other boards have many updates which in no doubt make them less glitchy.

just a few things if you don't know about them

I fancied the gigabyte but the reports of killing ram is a bit off putting

naelq
04-27-2007, 02:27 PM
IMHO, Giga-:banana::banana::banana::banana: should start manuf. dancing pads!! LOLOLOLOLOL!! :banana:
as the peepz just said, stear away!!