PDA

View Full Version : Planning on using these additives...

Skauneboy
04-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Since it seems like Petra's coolant mixture (as discussed here) (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121705) is some time away I've been thinking about what to use instead. As I'm not running any mixed metals I won't need any corrosion inhibitor, right? So, inspired by Petra's mixture I'll add ~5% glycerine, one drop PT Nuke and one drop iodine (from a 5% diluted iodine solution). The iodine is just for good measure in case any copper resistant algae/bacteria feel like having a party in my loop. :p:

Thoughts?

Sideroxylon
04-24-2007, 03:38 PM
the PTNuke and distilled water should be just fine. Not sure why your putting all that other stuff in there if your loop is all copper.

Grinch
04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
I am about to redo my whole loop and this time I am just going to use some distilled water and maybe a touch of iodine and that's it...
yeah it looks cooler green,blue,red..etc..
but that's all it does
looks cooler...

ô¿ô

Skauneboy
04-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Well, since PT Nuke is copper sulfate I think that would be the first thing I'd skip when I'm using an all copper loop. The glycerine is for pump lubrication which I hope will help to keep my DDC-2 alive, fingers crossed.

Petra
04-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Well, since PT Nuke is copper sulfate I think that would be the first thing I'd skip when I'm using an all copper loop. The glycerine is for pump lubrication which I hope will help to keep my DDC-2 alive, fingers crossed.

The PT Nuke at 0.57ppm shouldn't have any harmful effects on your blocks. If you're adding it to straight distilled water only (which is already mildly acidic), it'll drop the pH a bit further (if you buffer it with something, then the change in pH can be minimized and/or prevented).

As for the DDC-2, it's not an issue of lubrication...

Also, incase anyone is wondering about that coolant additive, I've had to temporally suspend work on the project until I can get a few other things out of the way first (like waterblock testing).