PDA

View Full Version : Swiftech Storm or Apogee GT

Gunslinger
04-23-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm getting ready to move my hardware into a new Mountain Mod Duality case, I'm currently watercooling my X6800 with the Swiftech Storm Rev. 2 block.

When I move to the new case the CPU will have its own loop with a MCP655 pump, and a Swiftech MCR320. Will I get better temps with the Storm block or with an Apogee GT?

The rest of my hardware will be on a separate loop.

_G_
04-23-2007, 11:15 AM
gt will get you better temps and its cheap too
http://www.svc.com/apogee-gt.html

nikhsub1
04-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Apogee GT by far.

Gunslinger
04-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I originally picked up my Apogee GT to make the jump to quad core. It's been sitting on the shelf for a while now. When you say "Apogee GT by far" what kind of temperature improvement are you talking?
Currently I'm finding my "Orthos Stable" setting. With vcore at 1.5 in bios I'm looking good at about 3.7GHz, with temps peaking at 58C, 22C ambient. But that is with all my hardware in one big loop, not by itself like it will be in the new case.

Xavior
04-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Not sure how much it'd improve on your current temps. I can only tell you that a Apogee GT cools a IHS processor much more efficiently due to its design. Storm blocks work best on naked cores that aren't too large.

NickS
04-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Apogee GT by far.

+1!

GrimReaper
04-23-2007, 02:39 PM
isnt Dtek better than the two ? :stick:

aiya
04-23-2007, 02:42 PM
isnt Dtek better than the two ? :stick:
yes it is, but the OP already has the apogee GT and is debating if he should switch out his storm for it :).

Grinch
04-23-2007, 02:52 PM
what's the BEST/MOST EFFECIENT cpu waterblock you can have right now for a cpu? (with lid)

serialk11r
04-23-2007, 02:55 PM
A fuzion has the best flow/performance ratio.
An apogee GT's flow/performance ratio is by far better than the storm ;)

Grinch
04-23-2007, 02:57 PM
so this is basically the poop jam as far as cpu waterblocks go right now:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/dfuuncpubl1.html

nikhsub1
04-23-2007, 03:41 PM
what's the BEST/MOST EFFECIENT cpu waterblock you can have right now for a cpu? (with lid)
Apogee GTX with bowed base. EOM.

Grinch
04-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Apogee GTX with bowed base. EOM.

http://www.xtremesystems.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=39

what the hell...what do they mean bowed base...like stressed it out to hard?

and they said it was a GT not a GTX..

serialk11r
04-23-2007, 04:01 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=39

what the hell...what do they mean bowed base...like stressed it out to hard?

Thick O-ring+tightening=slightly bent base ;)

Grinch
04-23-2007, 04:09 PM
so is the base bent at the barbs?

Grinch
04-23-2007, 04:32 PM
so this is better than d-tek?

http://www.petrastechshop.com/swapgtxcpuwa.html

NaeKuh
04-23-2007, 04:33 PM

thats not a fair question to ask.

the GTX will beat the Fusion and vice versa depending on your eq.

ACK but if you throw bowing in the EQ, then yeah the GTX. But If you have a single pump, and your running dual sli full cover blocks, then no, i think a D-tek will win.

And isnt the best block the fusion with the accelerators nikhsub?

nealh
04-23-2007, 04:43 PM
eq.?

Gunslinger
04-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Okay, swapped out the Storm for the Apogee, wow. While running Orthos, full load temps dropped by 8C. Flow is so much better, you can see a HUGE difference in the water turbulence where the return line comes into the reservoir. I'm using a dual 5.25" bay reservoir.
Can't wait to see what temps will be like when CPU is on its own loop with MCR320 in my Mountain Mod case.

nikhsub1
04-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Okay, swapped out the Storm for the Apogee, wow. While running Orthos, full load temps dropped by 8C. Flow is so much better, you can see a HUGE difference in the water turbulence where the return line comes into the reservoir. I'm using a dual 5.25" bay reservoir.
Can't wait to see what temps will be like when CPU is on its own loop with MCR320 in my Mountain Mod case.
I'm glad it is working out for ya :D If you see 8c then there was a problem with the storm... the difference is not THAT large.

Hard H20
04-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Okay, swapped out the Storm for the Apogee, wow. While running Orthos, full load temps dropped by 8C.

GS,

Nice drop in temps! Once you put the CPU on an independent loop I think you will probably get another 2 - 3C drop. Let me know how it works out once you get the loop up.

jagt
04-26-2007, 01:09 PM
So roughly what kind of temperature difference could I be looking at if I switched from a Storm to a GT on a C2D? Would sure be nice to increase flow by a few notches. Using a PA120.3 and a D5.

Oh, and is the GTX worth it over the GT?

nikhsub1
04-26-2007, 02:49 PM
So roughly what kind of temperature difference could I be looking at if I switched from a Storm to a GT on a C2D? Would sure be nice to increase flow by a few notches. Using a PA120.3 and a D5.

Oh, and is the GTX worth it over the GT?
Use it bowed only for best results... Storm to bowed GT bout ~5c better GTX ~6.5C

jagt
04-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Thankyou. Am I right in assuming that the thicker O-ring is included in the GT and GTX packages? Do I need anything else to go with it?

NaeKuh
04-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Thankyou. Am I right in assuming that the thicker O-ring is included in the GT and GTX packages? Do I need anything else to go with it?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0556.jpg

thats everything you get.

a little note. Im assuming your bowing... You need a backplate, and if your running an evga, your voltage regulators need to be covered on the backside so it doesnt contact the metal backplate. you'll get a "--" error if this happens.

Also you need longer screws, because with padding + backplate this happens:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0565.jpg

it doesnt leave much space for you to tie down your springs + screws. And if you try, you will get a very bad bend. So longer screws is a definite must.

Lastly, i used custom mounting hardware, and all i can say is WOW. It beat my current D-tek config by 3C on load at min, and on average it was 4-5C difference. But sadly i removed it because i saw this:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0580.jpg

But gabe said NOT to worry, its just black dye coming off. He wanted a matt apearance i guess. If it bothers you, scrub it off with a soft toothbrush, b4 you oring mount. That should take care of the dye, and be gentle on the plating.

Oh i should note, this block loves flow pressure. I was running dual DDC+ so thats why i think i was getting uber results. :P

[cTx] Nooc
04-26-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Fuzion has a bowed base...

jagt
04-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I see, thanks. If the ticker ring isn't included, where can I get one? And what backplate would be recommended?

serialk11r
04-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Fuzion has a bowed base...

I don't think its bowed, I believe that the base is convex (as in the copper sticks out a little, but the block itself is not bending in any way).

NaeKuh
04-26-2007, 04:24 PM
I see, thanks. If the ticker ring isn't included, where can I get one? And what backplate would be recommended?

uhhh sorry i ment the oring out was the extra. Theres one premounted on the inside of the top block. So it is included.

And i personally used my cousins old BT backplate. He had no use for it anymore, so i basically gobbled it. And its the only time i'll ever use thermaltake on my watercooling parts. :mad:

But you can also use thermalright, from what i hear, and gabe said he should be coming out with it soon, with the mounting screws you require.

[cTx] Nooc
04-26-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't think its bowed, I believe that the base is convex (as in the copper sticks out a little, but the block itself is not bending in any way).

I see, I remember Petra talking about the negative effects of lapping Fuzion, he said something about Fuzion having an convex base. thanks for clearing that up.

jagt
04-27-2007, 12:24 AM
uhhh sorry i ment the oring out was the extra. Theres one premounted on the inside of the top block. So it is included.

And i personally used my cousins old BT backplate. He had no use for it anymore, so i basically gobbled it. And its the only time i'll ever use thermaltake on my watercooling parts. :mad:

But you can also use thermalright, from what i hear, and gabe said he should be coming out with it soon, with the mounting screws you require.

Hah, Thermaltake :D If Swiftech are coming out with the parts required I'm going to wait, it's not like I'm in a rush anyway (any ETA on this?). Need to mount my PA120.3 first too, which should be awesome over my old BIX2.

Anyway, why is it required to use a backplate when the WB is bowed? Do you need to tighten it more, or?

jagt
04-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Hah, Thermaltake :D If Swiftech are coming out with the parts required I'm going to wait, it's not like I'm in a rush anyway (any ETA on this?). Need to mount my PA120.3 first too, which should be awesome over my old BIX2.

Anyway, why is it required to use a backplate when the WB is bowed? Do you need to tighten it more, or?

Anyone? :)

aiya
04-28-2007, 12:33 PM
you need the backplate for LGA775 socket since the bowed base puts alot of pressure on the motherboard itself if you tighten it down all the way. if you didn't have a backplate, and tighten too much, bye bye motherboard :)