PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to control a D5 with a fan controller?

the highlander
04-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Fan controllers vary resistance. Is there a way to connect the D5 via its own modulator to a fan controller? it would be interesting, although I practically do not hear the pump so might as well keep in full power.

Thoughts?

Capt Proton
04-22-2007, 03:20 PM
If the fan controller was rated for enough amps. I think it would have to be straight voltage regulating, and not PWM, although that might be the reverse. You would have to be careful if the pump does not start on the lower settings.

_G_
04-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Fan controllers vary resistance. Is there a way to connect the D5 via its own modulator to a fan controller? it would be interesting, although I practically do not hear the pump so might as well keep in full power.

Thoughts?

does youre d5 have a little red nob on the back with an arrow on it and a scale from 1 to 5?

HiJon89
04-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me, you'd probably just blow the fan controller.

the highlander
04-22-2007, 04:59 PM
does youre d5 have a little red nob on the back with an arrow on it and a scale from 1 to 5?
Mine yes....

That is why I was asking.. If there was a way to connect that dial to the Sunben rheobus it would be nice...

_G_
04-22-2007, 05:35 PM
you would have to dissemble the circuit board side of the pump( i think that side is all sealed up, desolder the variable pot from the board(by by waranty) and relocated it with extended wires to the front of the case(im pretty sure the pots on a rheobus are not the same value) long story short. can it be done? yes.
is it worth doing? not in my book. if you have some open 5 1/4 bays put youre pump there just behind the blank covers and drill a hole in one so you can turn it
from outside the case

JeffnWV
04-22-2007, 05:51 PM
just put your refrigerator, window airconditioner, microwave oven, lamps, fans, clocks, stereo system and TV in the circuit before the computer and adjust the voltage the practical way ;)

Live life to the fullest! and help the eco system by lowering your pumps dba !

(yes you can use this as a sig)

Chas_The_Man
04-22-2007, 06:22 PM
You can buy little servo motors that will adjust it. Iffun you got nuttin else to do. I would apreciate a build log.