PDA

View Full Version : My Antec 3700 dual loop project

mdmbkr
04-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi,

I'm brainstorming how to build a dual loop into my rather old Antec ATX midtower. Most people go with a full tower for a project but I prefer the smaller size and I think it can be made to fit.

My goals are to achieve a nice, quality build with a good appearance. I want everything mounted internally. It should be quiet, with the option to crank up the fans for lower temps.

A big potential hurdle is the room at the top of the case. If I wanted to go SLI (not a requirement, but a path I'd like to leave open if possible), I'd need a large PSU which would probably make it impossible to fit a 120x2 rad on the top.

So, here are some tentative specs:

hardware:
ASUS P5N32-E (nf 680i)
Core 2 Duo E6600 (price just dropped to $235, open to suggestions)
CORSAIR XMS2 2x1gb ddr2-800
EVGA 8800GTX
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX PSU - 15cm deep
DVD burner

watercooling:
2x 18w DDC pumps, probably with Petra's top
EK blocks for GPU and chipset (EK-NF4 1.1)
http://ut.mdmbkr.org/pics/3700/ek-nf4-1.1.gif
EK or DTek block for CPU
no reservoirs
Thermochill PA series radiators

The first thing I need input on is what size radiators I would need to use for sufficient cooling. With the above PSU I know I can fit a PA120.2 on the top. I'm less certain that I could find I place to mount a second 120.2, but there is room for a 120.1. Would that provide sufficient cooling? How would I divide the loops?

I'm open to any suggestions/input!

Pics of the case:

http://ut.mdmbkr.org/pics/3700/3700-front.jpg
http://ut.mdmbkr.org/pics/3700/3700-inside.jpg
http://ut.mdmbkr.org/pics/3700/3700-rear.jpg

SNiiPE_DoGG
04-20-2007, 04:53 PM
uhh that is a terrible case dont waste your money... you couldnt fit one decent loop in it, never mind 2

you've got no rad space at the bottom or top (PSU) and there are only 4(5?) 5.25" bays

please just buy a new case...

mdmbkr
04-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Not constructive! There is room in the case for at least two 120mm rads, if I use a large PSU, or I can fit a 120.1 and a 120.2 if I use a smaller PSU (which is the plan right now).

mdmbkr
04-20-2007, 07:37 PM
So what cases would you suggest? I don't want to go to a full tower. I like the dimensions of this case.

WonderSausage
04-20-2007, 07:48 PM
It's possible to WC that case... not a bad case in general, just not a good WC candidate.

If you're set on it, I would recommend going with an Intel chipset board (e.g. P5B) so you wouldn't have to water cool the north bridge (you only have one 8800GTX anyhow). You could hang a 2x120 radiator off the back 120mm fan location using the Swiftech RadBox. That would extend the rear clearance by about 5-6" though. I would use a single loop and 3/8 tubing, which is perfectly OK for just a CPU and 8800GTX.

I'd also recommend a SeaSonic S12 or M12 PS to keep it quiet, and you might want to point an Antec Spot-Cool at the RAM.

Oh, and if you aren't going to use a reservoir, stick a DD Fillport in the top of the case, or better yet get the Alphacool reservoir top for the DDC and stick it up in the lower 5.25" bays so it's the highest point in the loop.

WS

serialk11r
04-20-2007, 07:57 PM
I'd say, forget the northbridge watercooling, and definitely get a larger case. Small cases are hard to stuff things in, and dual loops? Ouch its going to be a big mess of tubing...
Have you considered some of the cheaper full tower cases?

mdmbkr
04-20-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm not closed to getting a new case. Cost isn't really the issue, I just don't want a behemoth PC. I do really believe that it's possible to fit a nice system into a smaller case and still get a clean build.

Can a 120.1 cool a GPU or CPU reasonably well?

serialk11r
04-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm not closed to getting a new case. Cost isn't really the issue, I just don't want a behemoth PC. I do really believe that it's possible to fit a nice system into a smaller case and still get a clean build.

Can a 120.1 cool a GPU or CPU reasonably well?

I would not count on it...GPU probably but for the price of the additional radiator size (8-12 bucks???!!!!) I don't see a reason not to try to cram a larger one in. Besides, you can throw other stuff into the loop in the future.
Look around for a mid tower that has a little more room. You COULD put a 120.2 on the bottom AND a 120.2 on the top, and do a single loop for each. It will be one hell of a squashed case...

Solarfall
04-21-2007, 12:14 AM
if another case, i recommened the Lian-Li 7B-Plus, 80 bucks on newegg and a lot of room, aluminum, light, and looks so sleek. Auroraproject had a very nice build with one the other day

yep lianli's cases are beautiful, but is you what a little more space i would recommend that you get your hands on a coolermaster stacker (STC-T01) or RC-810). a huge case and a lot of room to work with, and does not cost as much as same sized lianli cases.