PDA

View Full Version : Forum Wars 2007 coming in July

Raymo
04-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Hello Fellow Geeks

TRP is hosting the 3rd annual forum wars June 29th and is inviting your forum to join in the fun. So far Geil will be sponsoring the event and a couple more sponsors are in the works. If you have any questions please let me or another Admin at TRP help you get started. The rules are etched in stone already.

http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=888

Look forward to see you join

Raymo
raymo@theraptorpit.com

[XC] gomeler
04-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Two questions
1) To enter into the Forum Wars we must submit "stock" results for 6 benchmarks? Do you mean we need to submit results at stock clocks/timings to enter into the challenge and then once the challenge is underway we get to clock up and then submit our best results?

2) You place singlestages, cascades, and autocascades into the Ultra Extreme category while you leave chillers in the conventional cooling section. Are there any limitations to these chillers? This is XtremeSystems and we are going to push the boundaries, I'd hate to see a super-chiller get DQ'd because it is hitting SS temperatures.

serialk11r
04-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Peltier and Chillers are not considered "Extreme"?

Raymo
04-20-2007, 07:37 PM
The Idea is to limit the cooling to 32deg f or higher.
we all know chillers can go way below 32f, but were on the honor system and cheaters (if caught) will pay a steep penalty.

All the posting of stock scores is important because, if a player leaves or has something come up, we will have a stock score to add to their team score rather than a big zero.
also we know who's serious about playing too.:D

serialk11r
04-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Interesting...
Would plopping ice into a tank count as a "chiller"?
So I'm assuming, with the nonextreme category, you have to post temps as well to show you're not cheating?
Or actually, I have an idea:
If the cooling involves going below zero, its extreme. If not, its not.

Pyr0
04-21-2007, 02:59 AM
i wonder if the rules will be changed to suit certain people again half way through the comp like last time

4Qman
04-21-2007, 06:02 AM
i wonder if the rules will be changed to suit certain people again half way through the comp like last time

Changing Rules is to accommodate and make the competition more Fun. I know last year the rules was changed to allow C2D into the Show.

I just like 24/7 run systems allowed. I mean if you run a chiller 24/7 Fine, if you run a Phase unit 24/7 then its Fine. Cascade/LN2 obviously arnt 24/7 so you cant bench with those for this competion.

Just my 2cents, ill be in this years WAR for SURE :D

[XC] riptide
04-21-2007, 10:31 AM
I haven't done this before, but it sure sounds like fun. puts in calendar

Raymo
04-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Interesting...
Would plopping ice into a tank count as a "chiller"?
So I'm assuming, with the nonextreme category, you have to post temps as well to show you're not cheating?
Or actually, I have an idea:
If the cooling involves going below zero, its extreme. If not, its not.

Dropping a few cubes in the res or looping the line in a bucket of Ice should be ok too, because it wont get below freezing.. Keeping track of all the temps could get rough, so were on the honor system.

true, if it's below freezing... it IS extreme.

the rules will NOT be changed, if some wording needs modification thats one thing... but none of the other stuff will be changed.

------------------

Thanks 4Qman... we look forward to a healthy competition from you.

afireinside
05-05-2007, 06:29 PM
It's based on overall score and not percentage gain? Kind of screws people without top end hardware...

Who wants to be on the A TEAM? :D

andyisc00l
05-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Dropping a few cubes in the res or looping the line in a bucket of Ice should be ok too, because it wont get below freezing.. Keeping track of all the temps could get rough, so were on the honor system.

true, if it's below freezing... it IS extreme.

the rules will NOT be changed, if some wording needs modification thats one thing... but none of the other stuff will be changed.

------------------

Thanks 4Qman... we look forward to a healthy competition from you.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but leaving things up to the honor system sounds funny especially with a prize from Geil that I assume will be valued @ over $200.

Raymo
05-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Actually... GEIL is giving away 3 sets of 2x1gb DDR2 6400
Maximum PC has just joined the sponsorship group with several 1 year subscriptions to be givin away..

all prizes are for random drawings, anyone can win except me.

Let's get you guys signed up soon.
Ray

phelan1777
05-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I am sure we here @ XS, especially the XTREME XSrs could pull it off :-P.

Wheres the competition for Water cooled QX6700 owners, with SLI?;)

wildcard
05-18-2007, 04:57 AM
I am sure we here @ XS, especially the XTREME XSrs could pull it off :-P.

Wheres the competition for Water cooled QX6700 owners, with SLI?;)

I think it's the "A" team.

Esser
05-19-2007, 07:28 AM
I thinks it's sounds very fun :-D BUT! I think it sucks that it isn't devided into whick year your hardware and stuff is from. I can't win! Even if i was good at clocking, because i can't spend like 3000$ on the newest hardware. It could also be about how many procent you could clock your processor, and then the 4 members on the teams needed to have different processor or something like that.

7499richard
05-20-2007, 10:37 AM
I want to try and make one of the teams for this, How is it going to work?
Is it during the time when people are posting there stock runs, anybody can post, and then during that one week period in between some moderators pick the teams? Or do you just have to sign up fast, I would like to try this it sounds pretty cool.

serialk11r
05-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Once I get my new board I think I'll sign up for the worst team (whatever that is) and use my super ghetto ice water cooling that I've been planning :D

vaio
05-20-2007, 01:57 PM
I see a raptor again.

Fun as it seems it appears a waste of good hardware.........If you guys really wanna brag about your firepower how about making it a dc forum war challenge (as I suggested last year at nforcers).........pick a few dc projects and let's see what your rigs can do????

:D

Dual purpose...........bragging rights and helping science.

"The Raptorpit BOINC challenge" :D

railmeat
05-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Changing Rules is to accommodate and make the competition more Fun. I know last year the rules was changed to allow C2D into the Show.

I just like 24/7 run systems allowed. I mean if you run a chiller 24/7 Fine, if you run a Phase unit 24/7 then its Fine. Cascade/LN2 obviously arnt 24/7 so you cant bench with those for this competion.

Just my 2cents, ill be in this years WAR for SURE :D

"Cascade/LN2 obviously arnt 24/7 so you cant bench with those for this competion"

lol ,
true there for the 30 seconds of glory type guys.so not practical.i agree with u q4man.

heydo6
05-20-2007, 08:10 PM
sounds fun ... so many highend rigs here , even g team will have qx6700 and 8800gtx sli .

Raymo
05-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Different strokes for different folks I always say...

This is for the fun of it, some swag, a few really nice prizes and a chance to get off your butts and OC a little...
did I say bragging rights?

Come on... let's get a list of players going...
we got 5 weeks to get it together

good luck guy's
Ray

4Qman
05-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Organizing my team now Raymo so i shall be ready for the WAR. See you on the battlefield dude.

Raymo
05-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Score's posted should look like this....

Raymo's Stock Forum Wars 2007 Demo Score (Good for May 26,2007)
Rig Spec's.....
Intel E6700 @ 2667mhz
EVGA 680i mobo
EVGA 8800GTX
Geil 6400 Esoteria
Dualcore
No SLI
Water cooling

Stock Scores......
3d01 --- 49805
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=9205818
3d03 --- 39077
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=5377796
3d05 --- 16047
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=3079229
Aquamark --- 147980
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1311/testaquafwspage1xn8.th.jpg (http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testaquafwspage1xn8.jpg)
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/2672/testaquafwspage2ev6.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testaquafwspage2ev6.jpg)
Crystalmark... (would not post a link)
ALU --- 23485
FPU --- 28117
MEM --- 14483
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8041/testcmpage1uc9.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testcmpage1uc9.jpg)
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7282/testcmpage2zf3.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testcmpage2zf3.jpg)
Super PI 1m --- 19.625
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6189/testsuppige0.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testsuppige0.jpg)

There should not be any errors on this, this is the way I would like the score posts to look like.
Take note of CPUz and the dates at the bottom right....
They must be there to be valid... MUST BE THERE!!! no exceptions....

CraptacularOne
05-27-2007, 08:28 AM
So are we going to give this forum wars a go or not? Waiting for an admins response. And how exactly do we register to join?

.....this will give me a good reason to hook up my chiller again :)

[XC] gomeler
05-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Just bugs me that single stages are considered extreme, I run sub-zero 24/7 :( Agreed with the above, is XS going to do this, if so then I'd be willing to join up on one of the lower teams. Don't have any X6xxx or G80 parts so my cooling would be wasted

IFMU
06-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Waiting for an admins response.
Do you mean an admin from XS?

If so let me know what I/we need to do. This would be, by the looks of it, something the memberbase would be in control of.
I see no reason to try to get in the way of anyone trying it out and giving it a go.

As for being a member of Xtreme Systems, all we would really ask for is that you (any member) conduct themselves like gentlemen/ladies.
Last thing we want is for a member to be a total 'a' and make Xtreme Look bad.
If anyone was/does, we will take the exact same actions as if you had done the same actions here.
Basicly, follow our guidelines if you are a member of Some sort of Xtreme Systems 'Team'.

Make sense?

Any questions for me, you can either Post here, as I am now subscribed, or hit me up in PM or an instant messenger. All info is in my prof.

If you meant an admin from the other site.. well, just ignore my post. ^_^

IFMU

Raymo
06-01-2007, 06:38 PM
1st lets find someone who will lead XS...
usually a mod or admin is better because they have more access but I dont see a problem with a member leading the team.
If you dont have a private area to talk about stratagy, I would advise creating one... also you need a few cops to verify scores.
We need to get a list of players going...
I wouldn't start picking teams til you get all your players stock scores in (you may get a few last minute entries)
I'll help all I can
Ray

ripken204
06-02-2007, 05:05 PM
this sounds like a great competition. now only if i had money to waste on amazing parts.. but XS definatly need to get a #1 team going, i have seen you guys overclock the hell out of your machines and you all deserve to win.

7499richard
06-03-2007, 10:34 AM
If anyone is setting up a team and looking for a player I would love to participate. See my sig for my hardware, I don't no where I would fall in but if anybody needs another teammate or if some people want to start our own team then let me know.

Post here or pm me :)

ripken204
06-03-2007, 01:46 PM
to bad that Q6600 price drop wouldnt happen sooner, i rly want it!

CraptacularOne
06-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Do you mean an admin from XS?

If so let me know what I/we need to do. This would be, by the looks of it, something the memberbase would be in control of.
I see no reason to try to get in the way of anyone trying it out and giving it a go.

As for being a member of Xtreme Systems, all we would really ask for is that you (any member) conduct themselves like gentlemen/ladies.
Last thing we want is for a member to be a total 'a' and make Xtreme Look bad.
If anyone was/does, we will take the exact same actions as if you had done the same actions here.
Basicly, follow our guidelines if you are a member of Some sort of Xtreme Systems 'Team'.

Make sense?

Any questions for me, you can either Post here, as I am now subscribed, or hit me up in PM or an instant messenger. All info is in my prof.

If you meant an admin from the other site.. well, just ignore my post. ^_^

IFMU

Yes, I was waiting from an admin from our site to give it the "go ahead" so to speak. I am interested in this but I have no team :(

IFMU
06-07-2007, 02:31 PM
'sall good.
Like I said though. If you/anyone, wants to get a team together using XS as the site name. No problem.
I'd suggest to link to this thread in your sig, asking for folks to join up on the team.
Create another thread for who wants to be part of it.

The only prerequisite I think would be 'enforced', is that you/anyone, conduct themselves in the manner of what we expect here.
Get what I'm saying?

Disclaimer: I am not saying you, or anyone else, won't conduct themselves appropriate for our site, but just better to be said before hand.

If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.

CraptacularOne
06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
'sall good.
Like I said though. If you/anyone, wants to get a team together using XS as the site name. No problem.
I'd suggest to link to this thread in your sig, asking for folks to join up on the team.
Create another thread for who wants to be part of it.

The only prerequisite I think would be 'enforced', is that you/anyone, conduct themselves in the manner of what we expect here.
Get what I'm saying?

Disclaimer: I am not saying you, or anyone else, won't conduct themselves appropriate for our site, but just better to be said before hand.

If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.

OK cool :toast: I think 7499richard and I are going to team up, but I'm awaiting his response before I jump the gun.

Of course I would conduct myself accordingly :)

So when we go there we should all be sporting some kind of XS badging. Any suggestions?

Also if anyone else is interested let me know and lets all get together and see if we can break some hardware :D :lsfight:

IFMU
06-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Team XS
Team Xtremes (hrphm... )
Team Systems?

Dunno... but got this you can use!

CraptacularOne
06-07-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm diggin the uncle sam poster :D Hmmm....

How about this? :D

http://xs216.xs.to/xs216/07235/Owned.JPG

IFMU
06-07-2007, 05:57 PM
lol

CraptacularOne
06-07-2007, 06:01 PM
OK, so that's going to be my tag or whatever :D Now I just need some team mates :)

7499richard
06-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Hey, so I put that pic as my avatar and I linked this thread in my sig so hopefully some poeple will come out and join the XS team.

IFMU
06-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Hey, put this in your sig.
Quote me so you can copy paste it out of the 'code' tags.

Join us in the
~~>Forum Wars 2007 (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=141426)<~~

CraptacularOne
06-08-2007, 12:45 PM
OK done, and thanks :)

IFMU
06-08-2007, 04:49 PM
OK done, and thanks :)
yea know, I just noticed something.
My wording in that post was a bit rude/stand-offish/demanding.
My apologies.

I didn't mean you had to put that into your sig, I meant it to be a suggestion or something to give you a bit more of an idea on how to make it stand out more and people would 'acknowledge' it a bit more than normal standard text size/color etc.
So, please, if you come up with something better, or have an idea for something, don't hesitate to use it rather than what I posted.
For that matter, maybe make a sig picture, and link it to this thread.
:(

Regardless, luck for getting some folks together to do this~!

CraptacularOne
06-08-2007, 07:51 PM
No worries :toast: I liked what you made up ;)

Raymo
06-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Looking good XS... 3 weeks til we start
but you can still recruit for up to 6 weeks, posting a score on the last day..

fhpchris
06-10-2007, 05:15 PM
gomeler;2217495']Just bugs me that single stages are considered extreme, I run sub-zero 24/7 :( Agreed with the above, is XS going to do this, if so then I'd be willing to join up on one of the lower teams. Don't have any X6xxx or G80 parts so my cooling would be wasted

Just by reading the rules, I cannot compete because my QX6700 is an ES :[

That is pretty freeking Weak!

7499richard
06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
where do people get engineering samples from?

justin_c
06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
@7499richard
from intel directly, black market (ebay), friends.

maybe the likes of hipro5 can help us out here. unfortunately my new rig wont be online by then.

CraptacularOne
06-13-2007, 11:30 AM
where do people get engineering samples from?

As the other guy said, you can get them directly from Intel if you are a beta tester for them. Or you can get them from "other" sources ;)....I have 2 engineering sample chips at the moment a E6850 and a Q6600.

heydo6
06-17-2007, 07:03 AM
i'll give it a go if i can fit in some where ... should have my new mother board soon and i have a e6700 i can put under water .

CraptacularOne
06-18-2007, 08:55 AM
i'll give it a go if i can fit in some where ... should have my new mother board soon and i have a e6700 i can put under water .

We'd love to have you aboard :) Go to the other thread and follow the directions to qualify :)

7499richard
06-18-2007, 12:44 PM
CraptacularOne have you done anything to qualify yet?

I have not done anything apart from verbal agreements (typed :) ) so do I have to do that as well?

CraptacularOne
06-18-2007, 12:55 PM
CraptacularOne have you done anything to qualify yet?

I have not done anything apart from verbal agreements (typed :) ) so do I have to do that as well?

I haven't submitted my stock runs yet either. I'm looking for a good dual core to bench with since my quad is really only going to give me an advantage in 06. I want a good chip that will let me go faster in the other benchmarks.

Raymo
06-18-2007, 04:34 PM
I haven't submitted my stock runs yet either. I'm looking for a good dual core to bench with since my quad is really only going to give me an advantage in 06. I want a good chip that will let me go faster in the other benchmarks.

The quad will rule the Crystalmark ALU & FPU Scores
prob an extra 30000+ points

also... we cant begin testing til the 29th because all scores are dated.
And must be benched within the time frame in the rules to be legal.

CraptacularOne
06-18-2007, 06:33 PM

I will use the quad where it counts ;) But I was looking for a good dual core that is perhaps 4+Ghz capable to give me a boost in 3Dmarks 01,03 & 05 since the CPU score matters for squat in those benches. Or am I only permitted to use one CPU through out the entire contest??? My quad will only do about 3.6 - 3.7Ghz or so in the dead heat of summer that it is now (I'm in south Florida)

Did you get my PM regarding ES CPUs?

7499richard
06-19-2007, 06:07 AM
I think you need to use the same CPU for all the tests, but not for sure.

I guess I will wait til 29th, then run all my benches stock and post.

I am planning to watercool my 8800GTX and volt mod it in the near future. If the funds are available for the WC gear then it will be done in time for the overclock posting time :)

GazC
06-19-2007, 02:42 PM
I'd join in but I think my harware is too average nowadays (I stopped trying to keep up with the cherry pickers a long time ago) and I'm lacking a decent gfx card at the moment. My current rig isn't the one from my sig scores btw. :(

Two years ago or so and I'd have been up for it!

Gautam
06-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Cherry pickers, heh. I remember back in the day I needed to run my X850 at -25 C to match your water clocks. :p:

GazC
06-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Cherry pickers, heh. I remember back in the day I needed to run my X850 at -25 C to match your water clocks. :p:

I bought that X850xt as an OEM on e-bay, it was a beast and perhaps the best graphics card I have ever had in terms of overclockability, but buying it was blind luck.

I sold it back in february for &#163;50.00 or so. The chap who bought it had no idea he was buying a card that once held the watercooled WR in 3D'01. I was sorry to see it go but it just wasn't up for Oblivion at 1680x1050 unless I ran it without the eyecandy. :(

Keeping up with the hardware race has become increasingly expensive over the last few years and I am now content to upgrade to nearly new stuff every couple of years or so. I recently bought a C2D 6600 for &#163;120 and 2GB of OCZ 7200 platinum for &#163;93 and a P35-DQ6 for &#163;140 which I'm sure you'll agree is a bargain upgrade which I've been able to get upto 3.6Ghz and 1125 on the ram. Just waiting for my gfx card to return to complete my system, but I'm no longer on the cutting edge.

SOLDNER-MOFO64
06-22-2007, 09:23 AM

You need to start using the newest version of CM9 raymo.....that's like 2 versions ago.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalMark/index-e.html

xtant25
06-22-2007, 07:03 PM
I wouldnt mind getting in on this but i dont think my hardware is good enough but if you guys need an extra team mate i'll do what i can.

Raymo
07-07-2007, 07:03 PM
you have to use the same CPU and hardware set up though out the contest.

I'm aware that newer versions are out there of CM... the previous versions are very cheatable... theres not much difference in the newer versions so you can use any newer version that you wish