PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 7.04 released

sierra_bound
04-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Latest version of Ubuntu (7.04) is now available for download. You can find it here (http://www.ubuntu.com/)

Release notes (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/704)

Duh
04-19-2007, 09:34 AM
I ve seen this same news published by you in the wcg section. Thank you again and keep crunchin..
hey, but not in that speed.. slow down or I won t catch you up never :p

[XC] moddolicous
04-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Is it worth it for me to update from 6.10?

mezcal
04-21-2007, 11:16 AM
moddolicous;2140331']Is it worth it for me to update from 6.10?

Depends on your hardware and linux skills I suppose. I'm having major issues getting it going.

No wpa in nw manager.
After 12 hours or so of messing with it (including removing network manager) I gave up on wpa.
Reset router's G radio to wep (this is not an acceptable long-term solution but I wanted to get it going) and now clicking "connect to network" (it sees the local networks fine) results in immediate and total machine lockup forcing me to hard reboot.
Ralink drivers won't compile with the new kernel so pretty much sol for now.
Also won't allow me to enable ati protected driver so proper screen resolutions are not available. This may be related to being unable to get on the web though.

Other than that Feisty works great :mad:

I'm pretty much a linux noob and this is installed as dual-boot on a non-critical box fwiw.
That said, I have had both dapper and edgy working before with this same hardware. I imagine a real linux guy could get it all going in 5 minutes though:)

[XC] Teroedni
04-22-2007, 06:00 AM
Ouch when it comes to wireless cards/usb cards its a real pain. Thoose manufactores is a lacy bunch with no wishes to please anyone lese than Microsoft. After countless problems with slow and unstable Linksys wusb54g i got enough.

So i found this solution
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=154416
Wireless brigde. Yust plug in ethernet cable and configure the brigde one time only:) And the speed improves Greatly:toast:

Ive just upgraded one of my machine too Ubuntu 7.04 and tried the new restricted driver tool. What can i say. All i need was to install linux restricte 2.6.20-15 and then click the box (enable) for Ati Fglrx restricted. Then all i need is to reeboot,login > And it works. Yeah i got Ati 3d function working in Feisty with just one click in the restricted tool manager:D

XSAlliN
04-22-2007, 06:19 AM
With the Ubuntu 7.04 release came a host of new features including data migration from Windows, new and easier ways to install multimedia codecs, binary drivers, as well as networking improvements and of course, GNOME 2.18, the 2.6.20 kernel and more

That's good news. ;)

sierra_bound
04-22-2007, 06:37 AM
For those of you new to Linux, here is a good how-to guide for Feisty Fawn (7.04).

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

mukmaster
04-22-2007, 08:54 AM
Sweet ; Finaly native OS virtualization.
I am downloading at 188KB/s

stealthbomber
04-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Does the install package take care of the boot loader for XP/Linux?

I've not tried any of the Linux packages since the days of Redhat, installing things was a pain in the butt...

sierra_bound
04-22-2007, 01:09 PM
The package comes with the GRUB boot loader. It's very easy to create a dual-boot drive with XP and Ubuntu. The installer will guide you through the process.

As is the case with many distros, you can run Ubuntu off the CD/DVD. Allows you to play with the OS to see if you like it.

mezcal
04-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Teroedni;2145472']Ouch when it comes to wireless cards/usb cards its a real pain. Thoose manufactores is a lacy bunch with no wishes to please anyone lese than Microsoft. After countless problems with slow and unstable Linksys wusb54g i got enough.

So i found this solution
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=154416
Wireless brigde. Yust plug in ethernet cable and configure the brigde one time only:) And the speed improves Greatly:toast:

Ive just upgraded one of my machine too Ubuntu 7.04 and tried the new restricted driver tool. What can i say. All i need was to install linux restricte 2.6.20-15 and then click the box (enable) for Ati Fglrx restricted. Then all i need is to reeboot,login > And it works. Yeah i got Ati 3d function working in Feisty with just one click in the restricted tool manager:D

Glad the bridge works for you but I'm not gonna buy hardware to get it working. The hardware I have works perfectly when I boot the box into windows.
The fun (if any) is in figuring it out -- and I will!

I have the restricted stuff installed (from the live cd) but clicking enable just doesn't do anything. This is minor compared to getting the nic up though.
__
Dual-boot is automatically set up for you via grub. Of course it defaults to Ubuntu.
You can easily change this, set the delay, rename OS's, etc from the terminal.
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
If you are already dual-booting (xp/vista) selecting windows in grub will then take you to vista's bootloader allowing you to select which version of windows you want. Pretty slick!

Duh
04-29-2007, 02:52 PM
the 7.04 is unstable, right?

BlaqMale
04-29-2007, 05:25 PM
the 7.04 is unstable, right?

i'm not having any problems with it..

[XC] moddolicous
04-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Since it is released, I would assume it has been proven stable. One thing I realized: They got rid of PPC support (at least there is not PPC support on the new feisty cd.

LightningCrash
04-30-2007, 05:03 AM
7.04 is stable, current, release, etc.

7.04 marked my transition from XP to Linux at home.

As always, check out the Ubuntu Guide for HOWTOs on common tasks.
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

DO install the Sun Java package. You won't be disappointed with the performance increase. The GIJ interpreter runs like ass. Azureus ate up 80-90% of my CPU time until I remember to install the Sun JDK. Now the Sun JDK takes up less than 10%, depending on load.

Remember that read/write performance for NTFS is ass under Linux. Expect a 300KB/sec write to use 80% of your CPU time under NTFS. This explains why my machine crawls when pulling from Giganews.

ActiveSync and Bluetooth work great on 7.04 and these were my key selling points. I sync my phone with Evolution just fine, and Bluetooth works as expected. I was also able to import all of my Outlook e-mail (I imported all of my e-mail to Thunderbird for Windows, backed up Thunderbird, and then imported the Thunderbird files into Evolution. It worked beautifully.)

I recommend a 256MB graphics card if you plan to enable Desktop Effects. There's a black screen bug on nVidia cards under 128MB with Compiz (the Desktop Effects) that is just plain annoying. I can't wait until my 7900GS gets back from XFX, this 6200TC is just killing me. It doesn't have the fill rate to run Q3 at 1680x1050 at more than 70FPS. blehhhhh
Just shows what a POS the 6200TC is.

You'll want Cedega if you plan on gaming. Some software titles, such as iD software (Quake titles, Doom, Wolfenstein) and Unreal releases, have native Linux binaries. The iD build of Quake3 for Linux probably won't give you any audio, so you'll want to install ioquake3 (Google it.)

FreeGeekery just released a handy list of apps for Ubuntu newbs. Check it out:
http://www.rewardprograms.org/thefreegeek/features/17_musthave_free_apps_for_new_ubuntu_users.html

I use my computer as an alarm clock (it plays the original Rocky theme song at 5:30 in the morning), so a software package called KAlarm takes care of that. Just a handy tip if you're like me.

That's it for now. I'll be back with more, ninjas!

[XC] Teroedni
05-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Nice to hear it working for you:)

As for Cedega.

Dont Buy Cedega before your sure that the normal free wine wont run your game.
Cedega should only be used as a last resort. And they dont support anyone else but themselves, just so you know;)

The free wine support is inded getting better and better.
WoW for example is working great:toast:

Dar
05-28-2007, 11:25 PM
The 7.04 seems to be significantly heavier than the earlier versions. I used to be running 6.06 with AMD Duron 800Mhz and 256MB SDRAM without a sweat, but even with my current comp it was very slow to boot from the 7.04 live-cd. Now that it's installed on my hdd, it's working fine though :).

Wine does run some games easily and out of the box, but has problems too. I couldn't get steam + counter-strike source work properly with it. Steam worked pretty fine, it just didn't show any text anywhere, so navigating was a bit difficult. I imagine the problem was because I didn't have windows' fonts installed etc, I'm going to look into fixing the issue tho.. WoW I didn't even try, but so many have said that it works fine with Wine, it probably does ;).