PDA

View Full Version : How long will DSLRs last?

itznfb
04-19-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm just wondering what the life expectancy of entry level DSLRs is? My dad has a couple F series Nikons from ages ago. I mean the thing will last forever. But the digital series just doesn't seem like it will. I have a Nikon D50, and I'm worried I'll have to buy a new one every few years or so.

GrimReaper
04-19-2007, 06:06 AM
itznfb;2139148']I'm just wondering what the life expectancy of entry level DSLRs is? My dad has a couple F series Nikons from ages ago. I mean the thing will last forever. But the digital series just doesn't seem like it will. I have a Nikon D50, and I'm worried I'll have to buy a new one every few years or so.

thats something even I would like to know I got myself a XTi wana know how long is it going to last me :toast:

KJatl
04-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Depends on if you feel the urge to upgrade to the latest and greatest. It's sort've like asking how long a new computer will last these days. Firstly it depends on how good the thing you're buying is. If it's just average now, it'll be below-average sooner. If it's top-of-the-line now, it'll have a longer life span. A good camera bought today could be used for 4+ years easily. By that time the technology available will far surpass what's in that camera but if it takes good pictures and you're content, then who cares?

apexracing
04-20-2007, 11:16 AM
I can't make a good judgment on how long a camera will last. You will absolutely begin to feel the various mechanisms slow down and lose precision over time, zoom will take longer to work and so forth.

How long the camera will last is dependent upon how much you use it and how well it's treated. I've been using my prosumer Canon Pro1 for about two years now and taken quite a few pictures with it, and I still don't notice any real age on it.

Soulburner
04-20-2007, 01:35 PM
The average shutter life of a DSLR camera is said to be 40,000 to 60,000 clicks. That doesn't seem like a lot to me though, as its easy to take 1,000 shots on a trip.

Aerou
04-25-2007, 08:39 AM
The average shutter life of a DSLR camera is said to be 40,000 to 60,000 clicks. That doesn't seem like a lot to me though, as its easy to take 1,000 shots on a trip.

thats a lot of trips ;)

as said before, it depends what LAST means to you

a) technology - some pro photographers have an Olympus E-1 , which is "considered" damn old, if it takes pictures the way you need, its fine, but normally every dSLR will last you a couple of years, at least 2-3,
but you should get a brand with a lot of lens and accesories available, that means Canon or Nikon

b) durability - that may be a problem with entry-level dSLR, if you want a cam to last long, you should choose a dSLR with a durable body, in other words - magnesium alloy body, dust, water proof, like a Nikon D200

itznfb
04-25-2007, 08:46 AM
i guess, my thought behind this was just the fact that my dad's F4 is 14 years old and still performs like brand new, i was wondering why a DSLR wouldn't last as long?

Aerou
04-26-2007, 12:34 AM
itznfb;2152187']i guess, my thought behind this was just the fact that my dad's F4 is 14 years old and still performs like brand new, i was wondering why a DSLR wouldn't last as long?

in the way you mean it - a good dSLR will certainly last ALMOST as much a normal SLR, dSLR just have more ways to brake - because of the sensor and more electronics,

most durable cameras are the full-manual ones :D

adamsleath
04-26-2007, 01:23 AM
...mmm digital or old fashioned slr with film...well you can take many more photos with digital cameras without the worry of film processing costs by edit/sort with computer,
but the old non digitals last "forever"

good lenses should last a life time if looked after properly...which leaves you with the main body of the camera with the ccds / optical sensors in them.

So basically you are paying for the quality of optical resolution sensors and the electro/mechanical servo's in the body...

if it was me i would look for a dslr that had the capacity to fit various high quality lenses that you can interchange as the main body of the camera dies you can upgrade to a new body along with the latest optical sensors...

Magnj
05-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I know some guys on the DPR forums have rolled over their Pentax bodies 3-4 times which is equal to 30-40k shots and they are still going strong.

xpsentity
05-21-2007, 07:50 AM
It depends on the Camera Brand / Model / Treatment. For instance, I believe the Canon XT/I is rated for around 40k clicks - whereas the 1-series are rated for 100-125k clicks.