PDA

View Full Version : Man has 7 xbox360's fail?

DilTech
04-15-2007, 10:19 PM
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/02/xbox_360_failures_a_loyal_fan_returns_seven_machin es.html

I'd say microsoft has a problem here, wouldn't you agree? :fact:

ahmad
04-15-2007, 10:25 PM
He should have bought a lottery ticket.

DilTech
04-15-2007, 10:35 PM
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/05/the_unluckiest_.html

Why, he's not the only one with a ton of defective systems...

Shintai
04-15-2007, 10:38 PM
I dont think MS got a problem. More like some people mistreating their gear.

Else we would have heard alot more. Than so little as this.

Speederlander
04-15-2007, 10:44 PM
1. I don't buy it. No way this one person just happened to have 7 of them fail w/o some sort of extenuating circumstance.
2. Seven? Anyone dumb enough to get number 3 of any electronics item that fails deserves to be whooped for stupidity.

Kunaak
04-15-2007, 11:06 PM
BS.

theres no logical way this person can have 7 die on him.
I say theres alot more to this, then he's letting on.

I've had the same 360 since launch day, and not once has mine froze, gave me a re light thing, or even hinted that it was overheating.
my best friend also had one since december, and he's 20 times the gamer any person I know is, as he can spend 15 hours a day playing a game, and play for a week straight... for him, gaming is like breathing. he's gotta do it, and never once have I heard him say he's had a problem either.

about 3-4 of my cousins have them, and we play online all the time, and never have I known any of them to have a problem either.

basically... short of the internet, I have never actually seen a person have a problem with thier 360.

however, get on the internet, and I garauntee, everyone and thier grandma has had a problem with thier 360, cause people that dont have problems tend to say little, while the 50,000 out of 1.75 million, that have had problems scream bloody murder from the roof tops at every possible second that they can.

yes, theres problems probably in some units.
sure some people will have valid issues that come up.
but one person coming across 7 defective 360's?
and you want to tell me that story with a straight face??

BS!!

plain and simple.

if I told you I got 7 parking tickets by accident, what do you think the judge would do when I told him that story?
I didn't see that handy capped sign...
I didn't know it was after hours parking...
sure 1-2 stories he might believe.
but 7?
no.

theres something more to this, so I dont buy this one bit.

if I owned a PC shop, and some guy came in with his 7th conroe E6600 saying "it just died" what would you say?

I'll give you a clue... it begins with a B.... and ends with a S... and followed by some nice big exclamation marks after it.
you wouldnt take that kinda story serious for 3 seconds.
1 CPU... sure.
2 CPU's far fetched but ok....

a 3rd one?
oh hell no.

by then, I'd know he was volt modding his board and killing his hardware or something like that.
or that his house had power spikes or something...
I'd hand him his money, say, you can go somewhere else.

I dont know what this persons doing to these 360's.... maybe his house got some shoddy power.
maybe he's taking them home and trying to watercool them and crushing the cores...

maybe he sets them on fire and juggles them.

either way, 7 dead 360's is not a story I am gonna believe.

you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time, and right now, my BS meter, is off the charts.

DilTech
04-15-2007, 11:11 PM
http://www.xbox360defective.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/consumer_goods/consumer_20070213.shtml

The BBC also aired a report about them on WatchDog...

It's a very real issue.

StyM
04-15-2007, 11:11 PM
maybe he plug it in a 220v socket... :D:D:D

Kunaak
04-15-2007, 11:20 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/consumer_goods/consumer_20070213.shtml

like I said.

however, get on the internet, and I garauntee, everyone and thier grandma has had a problem with thier 360, cause people that dont have problems tend to say little, while the 50,000 out of 1.75 million, that have had problems scream bloody murder from the roof tops at every possible second that they can.

go to a resturaunt.
that cook, will cook 200 dishes a day.
most will walk out of there feeling happy and full.
but undercook one steak, and who do you think is gonna be the one making the most noise?

not the 199 that walked out happy and full.
but the one that thinks they are gonna die cause thier steak is alittle pink on the inside, and instead of sending it back to the chef to be cooked alittle more... they get up and make a scene.

thats how it goes with thing like this.

DilTech
04-15-2007, 11:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56-gQq62Hyc

Tell that to the BBC.

Considering mine just died, my brothers died a month ago, and my dad's died 6 months ago, I have to agree with the complaints, this is a real problem.

Kunaak
04-15-2007, 11:44 PM
do you honestly think I would stop just cause you dare me to say something to a tv station?

I am not loyal to MS or something like that, but facts are theres a quote of 1.75 million users, with a defect rate around 50,000 right in that article.
which is right near the 3% mark for the entire electronics industry apparantly.

and sure...
you can name off 3 people who have had thier 360 die.

but if we had a poll going, to each and every Xbox360 owners house, asking them "is your 360 dead yet?" for every 1 you found, you would find 25,000 or more with no problems before you found the next one.

sorry your 360 died...
but does that make you the majority?
nope.

I dont have a explanation of it.
but to me, facts are far more in favor of MS side, then the people who want to claim various things about thier 360.

at no point do I deny that there is problems with some 360's.
but in no way do I beleive they are all defective.
no more then any other electronics industrys hardware, from TV's to gameboys.

everything has a failure rating.
but when people mix hype, with failures, you get alot of noise, and noise + the internet, tends to just make alittle noise, into a whole lot of noise.

Hype... is the main problem here.
not 3% failures.

hype makes 1 person tell 100,000 others that thier 360 is gonna explode... and half of them believe it...

even when its them doing ridiculous things, like putting thier 360 into enclosed wooden entertainment centers and playing gears of war for 9 hours straight and wondering why it overheated... then when it does overheat...
rebooting it, and trying to instantly play it again.

with conditions like that, how can you not expect to destroy one?
would you do that to your PC?
no.
and the manual clearly shows that the 360 needs to be in a open and ventilated area to run properly.
but look at peoples game areas, and you dont see the 360. you see a cable coming out of a entertainment center or something.

most people will put 2 and 2 together.
"manual says it needs open area to run well... ok, I'll do that".
but you get that 1-20,000 person that say "screw that, I dont have room" and then wonder why thier 360 is dead in a month.

I am by no means saying you do this.
or your brother, aunt uncle, grandma or dentist...

but sometimes you hear a person describe thier 360 problems and its hard to take them serious at all.

like this guy...

7 dead 360's?

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I have no love for MS, look at my posts, I love blasting Vista, cause basically its a nightmare for me so far.
I talk crap about intels boards being so annoying to OC with... but I use them still cause they are some of the best still. even with the annoyances.

I say the PS3 is a joke... not cause the hardware, but cause of the games...
but if that same PS3 was 299 tommorow, even with the crappy state of thier game line up, I'd have one, and be playing resistance all that night.

I dont have any hardware loyalty... but I do have fully functional BS meter, and with this story.... theres not a inch of it I can believe so far.

Starscream
04-15-2007, 11:46 PM
@Kunaak

just because u or someone close to you hasnt had this problem doesnt mean that it isnt real.

for example some people have problems with the Xbox360 scratching their discs and till now MS has been saying that this is the users fault and they didnt accept an RMA of those Xboxes or scratched game discs and alot of users agreed with MS just cause they themselves didnt have this problem.

this weekend i read a bit that MS now accepts those xboxes for RMA and will help the customers with replacing the scratched discs.
they ofc dont officialy say that the xbox360 scratches discs but them accepting them for RMA prity much means its real.

the fact that in some regions failing Xboxes or more commen and in other regions failing xboxes are rare makes me thinkt hat there are various bad abtches.

MaxxxRacer
04-15-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm with Eric on this one...

Kunaak
04-15-2007, 11:55 PM
@Kunaak

just because u or someone close to you hasnt had this problem doesnt mean that it isnt real.

did I deny theres a problem?

from my first post.

yes, theres problems probably in some units.
sure some people will have valid issues that come up.

from my second post.

nope, sure didn't.

what I do argue....
is how people want to create this myth that most 360's are in some way damaged, when the fact is... every electronics industry has a failure rating, usually within about 1-5% depending on how complicated the hardware is.

I also argue, that for every 1 person that wants to go around making a whole lot of noise about the problem they experienced, theres a ton of other people out there saying "well, too bad for you... didnt happen to me" and they are fine.

I argue mainly, that this story here reaks of so much BS, that I am gonna need a bath after I post this from the stench ;)

see, I like arguing.
but I also like logic, and facts.
not reactionary mumbo jumbo.

I can't listen to this story and take it serious, anymore then I can listen to the easter bunny story and take it serious.
it makes for a nice story, but so far... I dont buy it.

Shintai
04-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Reminds me of MMOs, where 2% of the population cries and screams all day long.

xenolith
04-16-2007, 12:26 AM

It's a very real issue.

533 defective xboxs at that website soley dedicated to reporting defective units since 11/2005. And only 248 defects in the BBC report.

You do realize there were 10 million xbox360 units sold at the end of 2006, and there's a projected sales of 15 million by Q2 07. The amount of reported defects at those two sources are very very small.

zabomb4163
04-16-2007, 12:27 AM
3% defect rate. using statistics the chance of having 7 in a row die is

0.03^7 = 0.000000000021870

or 2.8 out of 100,000,000,000 (100 billion)

chance of buying 2/2 winning lotto tickets is
100,000,000,000,000 (100 trillion)

Ubermann
04-16-2007, 01:36 AM
My friend had one since they came out, hes not very nice to stuff like this, running without covers and dropping thing to the floor and connect stuff when things really should be turned off.
Spilling drinks and all kinda :banana::banana::banana::banana:.
But this has to be the first thing that still running for him after that long time.

K404
04-16-2007, 01:51 AM
7 in a row...i`d blame his electrics. Either that or he gets his football and his console mixed up every now and then

ChongL
04-16-2007, 03:27 AM
User error > him

ahmad
04-16-2007, 03:38 AM
7 in a row...i`d blame his electrics. Either that or he gets his football and his console mixed up every now and then

I am seriously thinking about sigging this cause its so awesome.

Syn.
04-16-2007, 04:43 AM

It's a very real issue.

i watched the BBC report and it was over-hyped pice of reporting. There was no balance in the argument they had about what 5 people with problems on thier XBOX360's and one guy had 2 fail on him, RMA first one and then second one died as well. Main reasons for complaint was that people had to pay for things to get fixed which has been changed now.

BBC basically didnt report what condition the consoles where stored at and how they where used they just basically assumed the persons's where not to blame and that MS needs to face up to the problem of few consoles out of 10 million failing to its users, what?

Watchdog is a :banana::banana::banana::banana: program they are full of them selfs and all they ever do is over dramatise reports. Last time i watched it they where saying BT and AOL where one of the best ISP's in UK, what cleaver bunch that.

BBC = full of BS, this story is also BS. If a user maintains his hardware properly nothing will happend, if he does and things do brake its the simple negative side of mass manufacturing it happends with every product in the world.

Brother Esau
04-16-2007, 05:04 AM
another AOL user with problems big suprise there!

lowfat
04-16-2007, 05:05 AM
I dont think MS got a problem. More like some people mistreating their gear.

Else we would have heard alot more. Than so little as this.

so when the system can't read a disc 3 out of the 4 times we buy one, that is mistreating it :stick: ? They definately have a problem.

Drunner611
04-16-2007, 05:31 AM
maybe he plug it in a 220v socket... :D:D:D

Exactly what i was thinking, or he has some really dirty line with tons of spikes and crap.

Super strokey
04-16-2007, 06:42 AM
I think 7 is a little bit high but i have seen lots of 360's fail and heard about people that are on the 3rd or fourth (matt at ign is on his fourth i think). There is definatly something wrong with the 360's be that in components or their users lol. Im waiting to after this christmas to see if 360s or PS3's are more reliable and that will get to sit next to my wii.

NickS
04-16-2007, 06:46 AM
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/02/xbox_360_failures_a_loyal_fan_returns_seven_machin es.html

I'd say microsoft has a problem here, wouldn't you agree? :fact:

More like that guy has a problem. Microsoft builds a fine console

HiJon89
04-16-2007, 07:01 AM
At my school there are about a dozen kids who play Gears of War on Live together. Of our little group 3 have had Xbox problems from day 1 while the rest of us have been fine. I'd say the fail rate on the 360 is substantially higher than on the original Xbox, or any other console I've owned.

EDIT: Just go on eBay and look for an Xbox 360, you'll find hundreds of dead 360's up for sale

DilTech
04-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Guys...There's 1 to 2 million faulty xbox 360s...

http://www.wii60.com/336/microsoft-admits-to-fault-in-360/

So, where are you getting this 1-5% fault rate? That's a 10-20%, and that's just off consoles that kill discs and commit suicide, which is what mine died. The red ring of death isn't included in those numbers, so you figure you're looking at a 25 - 30% failure rate here.

rob[GL]
04-16-2007, 07:48 AM
A friend of mine has gone through 4 of these consoles already...

consoles suck, i'll stick to my pc!

DTU_XaVier
04-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Look, some people even here have gone through several of the same mobo/GFX, and the companies have fixed the problems over time... I'm sure MS is doing the same and the fail-rate will, or already has gone down...

Best Regards :toast:

deathman20
04-16-2007, 09:13 AM
7 wow, thought someone else went through 6 or something like that and MS was giving him a hard time about it.

Question comes to be, how does he have the console setup. I don't care if people say its fine where it is, these suckers need ventilation. I know 6 people that have X360 here at work, and not one of them has any issues, and surely there is more that have them here.

It was probably a bad batch, weather it was first runs or them switching some things to get cheaper to make on the console side to reduce some costs. Either way in time they will be less of them.

Majority of them have heat issues which the thermal paste looses contact with the heatsink/die and it overheats and causes issues. Its a fixable, and have seen a few people around the web do this to suppositly dead X360's.

FLMJIGGY
04-16-2007, 09:27 AM
I know about 4 ppl with a 360 and 2 of them ave had to get it repaired...

Serra
04-16-2007, 12:58 PM
If a person has that many go on them, I would personally be extremely concerned about things like the quality of the electical wiring of their house. It just seems to me that this takes it beyond mere coincidence, yet I will also agree that the 360 has a high failure rate.

Perhaps the electronics in it are more sensitive to line noise than most other devices? I've seen issues like that with some electronics lines, usually high-end stuff.

revenant
04-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I dunno.. ok, so he's renting these out to people from a video game center in his town.. so god knows what happens to them.. I guess I could see this as being more likely then someone buying Xbox 360 after Xbox 360 and getting a bad unit each time.. plus tons of the early release units had all sorts of overheating and crashing issues.. and he says he did get four of these at zero hour.. so while it does seems very far fetched, after reading this and thinking about the early release unit's problems, I think it's possible.. just not probable..

Syn.
04-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Guys...There's 1 to 2 million faulty xbox 360s...

http://www.wii60.com/336/microsoft-admits-to-fault-in-360/

So, where are you getting this 1-5% fault rate? That's a 10-20%, and that's just off consoles that kill discs and commit suicide, which is what mine died. The red ring of death isn't included in those numbers, so you figure you're looking at a 25 - 30% failure rate here.

errr while techinchally there are 1 to 2 million faulty 360's but why didnt you mention what the foult was?

To save some trouble i will type it for you.

1 to 2 million 360's are missing component in the DVD drives lense, the foult that couses DVD's to crack not overheat/die.

theteamaqua
04-16-2007, 03:04 PM
i dunno ... i mean i see a lot of people with EVGA 680i died , and yet some people bleame the users for their fault?? wtf

serialk11r
04-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Doesn't like, the XBOX360 have super crappy cooling and a power supply that is barely enough to keep the system going?

HiJon89
04-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Doesn't like, the XBOX360 have super crappy cooling and a power supply that is barely enough to keep the system going?
I haven't heard much about the PS3, but my guess is that these problems are a result of how graphically demanding next-generation games are. Previous consoles like the N64 and Super Nintendo were hardly graphic powerhouses, but these days consoles are putting out visuals that can rival and sometimes even surpass PC's. I think the problem is that consoles have basically become budget PC's, using ultra-low quality parts and cutting costs whereever possible, so you end up with the quality and reliability that you would expect from a $400 PC.

Maviryk
04-17-2007, 11:30 AM
The 360 will scratch up the discs pretty badly: If the disc is spinning and you change the orientation of the box from vertical to horizontal, or vice versa.

If you put the 360 inside an enclosed space it will overheat, just like your PC.

If you don't use a surge protector, spikes may kill it.

My xbox 360 works just fine.

cursivearmy1
04-17-2007, 01:36 PM
I've had about 5 fail for me. This is not suprising.

DilTech
04-18-2007, 08:31 AM
errr while techinchally there are 1 to 2 million faulty 360's but why didnt you mention what the foult was?

To save some trouble i will type it for you.

1 to 2 million 360's are missing component in the DVD drives lense, the foult that couses DVD's to crack not overheat/die.

It also causes the drives to die over time... I'd know, I had one with the faulty drive. It no longer reads discs, and you should see the number it did on DOA and Gears of War.

Anyway, on to the people who're still questioning this....

Allow me to ask you guys something...

Microsoft's xbox1 was a loss leader last generation, as it never did turn a profit. Due to this, microsoft had to completely change their strategy this round, which is now nickle and diming, as is evident by them finding every little thing they can charge you for, and over-pricing it there, like a $100 20gb HD, a $90 11 Mbps usb wireless network adapter, or ~$50 for a 64mb flashcard, or xboxlive as a whole. Right?

Why would they raise their warranty from 3 months to 1 year if there wasn't something seriously wrong here? Think about that for a second. A company that's trying to get every dollar out of you they can this generation(ever looked at some of the premium downloadable content?) making a move that costed them millions just to announce, and even refunded the people who already had paid to have their consoles worked on.

Does this sound like the microsoft we know? Do you firmly believe microsoft would set themselves to lose that kind of cash if there wasn't a problem beyond a shadow of a doubt?

Just think on this for a second before responding...

DTU_XaVier
04-18-2007, 11:09 AM
It also causes the drives to die over time... I'd know, I had one with the faulty drive. It no longer reads discs, and you should see the number it did on DOA and Gears of War.

Anyway, on to the people who're still questioning this....

Allow me to ask you guys something...

Microsoft's xbox1 was a loss leader last generation, as it never did turn a profit. Due to this, microsoft had to completely change their strategy this round, which is now nickle and diming, as is evident by them finding every little thing they can charge you for, and over-pricing it there, like a $100 20gb HD, a $90 11 Mbps usb wireless network adapter, or ~$50 for a 64mb flashcard, or xboxlive as a whole. Right?

Why would they raise their warranty from 3 months to 1 year if there wasn't something seriously wrong here? Think about that for a second. A company that's trying to get every dollar out of you they can this generation(ever looked at some of the premium downloadable content?) making a move that costed them millions just to announce, and even refunded the people who already had paid to have their consoles worked on.

Does this sound like the microsoft we know? Do you firmly believe microsoft would set themselves to lose that kind of cash if there wasn't a problem beyond a shadow of a doubt?

Just think on this for a second before responding...

Wait wait wait...
Why would they raise the warranty time on a faulty product?? Wouldn't that mean they will lose MORE money, as more faulty ones will roll back in during warranty? Yet you call them penny-pinchers...
And where did you get the info that MS didn't make money on the first Xbox?? AFAIK they made quite a bit on games...
Color me confused :confused:

DilTech
04-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Wait wait wait...
Why would they raise the warranty time on a faulty product?? Wouldn't that mean they will lose MORE money, as more faulty ones will roll back in during warranty? Yet you call them penny-pinchers...
And where did you get the info that MS didn't make money on the first Xbox?? AFAIK they made quite a bit on games...
Color me confused :confused:

They raised the warranty because they had to... Because it was beyond the 1-5% fault rate, and they knew it. That was my point. There was threats of big class action law-suits, and the sheer bad press(which is still ongoing) of the faulty systems, they did it because they had to silence them somehow. They did it because they know the system has a problem.

As for microsoft never turning a profit on the xbox... I thought this was extremely well known?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154809.html

The xbox division was literally just a history of never-ending red ink.

Lestat
04-18-2007, 09:33 PM
im on my 4th one.

irev210
04-22-2007, 02:08 AM
im on my 3rd, and i only play about 10 hours a month. I have a room that is a constant 68-72 degrees and the xbox 360 is located in completely open environment on a hardwood floor. The 360 is always treated with care and is not abused. The power supply is about 6 inches to the left of the 360, also only drawing in cool fresh air.

Cant say I abuse my 360, and mine still broke, and so has many others.

My brother has two, both broke, sent them off to be repaired, one of the refurbs he got randomly locks up, so he has to send that out. Same situation, as "adult gamers" nothing is abused, or even used all that much.

Microsoft will never reveal the failure rate of xbox 360's and has stepped up the customer service aspect of repair to help keep a lid on how bad the failure rate really is... which i think is a crime. People have a right to know what they are getting into before they buy a ~400+ dollar investment. Now that I have all the games, etc it doesnt make sense to jump ship to PS3 (though it is tempting).

The product itself is good, just not when they break.

I plan to eBay my 360 premium within the next few days and pick up a xbox 360 elite in an attempt to get a more reliable system.

Anyway, my point being... I think there is a rather high failure rate just from reading the news.

1) Microsoft says all 2005 manufactured consoles are under warranty, OBVIOUSLY there is something seriously wrong if they just announce this
2) Then, Microsoft extends all other xbox 360's to 1 full year from 90 days
3) Now, Microsoft is paying shipping both ways, even giving you a box to ship your 360 in

Now, whatever their original failure rate expectation was, they figured 90 day warranty was good enough. However, in an attempt to do damage control and not piss off their user base they have done all these things to keep their customers happy (which is a good thing). The reality is, many more consoles are failing, otherwise MS wouldnt have taken these steps.

Lestat
04-22-2007, 09:12 AM
now, with the advent of the Elite unit and also latest rev's of mobo's
the cpu is epoxied down to the PCB.

why did they do this ? why ?

i think anyone who has done any serious research into the core of the red ring of death knows exactly why they did it.

the mfg flaw behind the red ring of death is that the bga soldering is flawed.
atleast 2 of the corners of the cpu actually become disconnected from the solder and thus the red ring of death.
this is the same thing as removing a pin of a cpu and installing it, you have about a 98% chance the unit isnt going to run.

so, the epoxy is there to hold the cpu to the bga.

the tards at xbox scene are laughing at it, when the reality is, its a fantastic fix.
obviously they cant fix the flaw of the insane heat generated by the triple core Apple G series CPU.
they could have easily increased the air intake by having better flow from the side vents.
they could have easily added a 50mm fan to the cpu heatsink.
they could have easily redesigned the heatsink as that single heatpipe doesnt do anything

but they didnt do any of that, they went to the first thing that causes the red ring of death, the lifting of the cpu from the bga...

so lets keep our fingers crossed that the new rev of mobo's have this and it works.

Datalogger
04-24-2007, 05:37 AM
now, with the advent of the Elite unit and also latest rev's of mobo's
the cpu is epoxied down to the PCB.

So the Elites definitely have this done to them? I'm hoping to pick one up.

Btw, what happened to your Asus P5N-E SLI?

Kurz
04-26-2007, 05:35 PM
I think he isn't getting new Xbox360's each time.
He just got 6 Refurbished ones.

Nettwerk
05-01-2007, 03:35 AM
The fantastic gpu/cpu glue fix is really nice

http://picasaweb.google.com/cuurrr/DeadXbox360ELITE
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/weedlab07/bricked360.jpg

FLMJIGGY
05-01-2007, 07:16 AM
YEa. These things are dropping like flies. My neph is on his 2nd one and this was a new one less than 2 months ago.

A dead "elite" already? Wow. This is insane!

Nettwerk
05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Yea if your out of warranty, dont give MS any more money to send you some refurb thats gonna die again, fix it yourself for good if you own a drill and a dremel:

$9
http://rbjtech.bulldoghome.com/pages/rbjtech_bulldoghome_com/XClamp.htm

I've brought back 4 boxes now and my personal launch unit is working great again, going on 2 weeks.

p0tter
05-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Dont you buy consoles to plug and play ? I wouldnt bother modding one and losing the warranty.. even it if .. blah.. ill keep my comp.

Datalogger
05-02-2007, 09:23 AM
My Elite and my PS3 are both working great. I think some people are just accident prone.

jamiet757
05-02-2007, 01:24 PM
wow...microsoft ftw

xenolith
05-02-2007, 04:05 PM
The fantastic gpu/cpu glue fix is really nice

http://picasaweb.google.com/cuurrr/DeadXbox360ELITE
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/weedlab07/bricked360.jpg

Probably nothing to do with such a poor attempt at a fix. All the epoxy in the world won't help if the CPU's BGA (ball grid array) is poorly soldered to the PCB in the first place.

One of the biggest disadvantages to a soldered BGA package is that thermal stress can cause them to fail at a higher rate than with say a PGA (pin grid array) package. Pins can bend, flex, and distribute heat under a significantly larger thermal coefficient than solder balls. And it's very well known that these CPUs get very hot.

Yea if your out of warranty, dont give MS any more money to send you some refurb thats gonna die again, fix it yourself for good if you own a drill and a dremel:

$9
http://rbjtech.bulldoghome.com/pages/rbjtech_bulldoghome_com/XClamp.htm

I've brought back 4 boxes now and my personal launch unit is working great again, going on 2 weeks.

Thanks for posting, that's nice to know for future reference. It's amazing those highly paid MS engineers didn't adopt such an incredibly easy solution. :slapass:

Juice
05-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Yeah I also did that rbjtech method and it worked for my 360 that had 3rl. It was trial and error though in getting the screws tight. I also noticed the aluminum heat sink on the GPU is totally rough. I had to lap it again to get a smooth enough surface.

Tallest
06-10-2007, 05:52 PM
me and everyone i know personally has had the 360 sent in(about 5), all except one, which his 360 fans wouldnt turn off when he shut off the 360, you would just unplug it and problem solved(the actual 360 fans not that add on intercooler).
havent heard about it in a while, he sold it to someone but if i were to bet im sure it hasnt lasted this long.
yea im no longer in the hunt for a 360 btu when the christmas priced is lowered i might pick it up for gta IV, halo 2 took away two solid years of my life and i wont let III do that to me

Datalogger
06-11-2007, 06:29 AM
No problems with my Elite here. I have my PS3 sitting on top of it and the PS3 hasn't been off in 2 months.

DilTech
06-11-2007, 07:23 PM
My xbox360 number 3 just died...

Super strokey
06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
I was just wondering if MS counts all the replaced 360s as sales like sony did with teh PS2. ANy one know?

DilTech
06-12-2007, 01:40 AM
I was just wondering if MS counts all the replaced 360s as sales like sony did with teh PS2. ANy one know?

They count all consoles "shipped". This includes a replacement shipped to someone.

Super strokey
06-12-2007, 08:04 AM
They count all consoles "shipped". This includes a replacement shipped to someone.

So then the total number that they have actually sold may be much lower than what they are saying then?

DilTech
06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
So then the total number that they have actually sold may be much lower than what they are saying then?

It's always been much lower... They shipped out like 3 times what was needed for the 4th quarter last year just to say they shipped out 10 million units. That's why all the sites with counters didn't have xbox360 numbers increasing much for awhile, and they still haven't gone up too much since. Because they haven't needed to ship to stores because the stores had huge backstocks of them.

Either way, yes, the number sold is MUCH lower than what they say.

_Slim_Shady_
06-14-2007, 06:30 PM
I keep mine in my entertainment unit under the tv, and it gets hot down there, but never has once given me a problem. Maybe this guy has bad wiring, or keeps it in a cabinet with no airflow, or has a rogue 2 year-old playing doctor with it?

My company gave all of us one for Christmas the year they came out, and out of 200 units, only 2 or 3 people have had the infamous red ring of death, and that was after an update that hosed a lot of units. I wouldn't say they are crap. ;)

Datalogger
06-15-2007, 06:10 AM
Heat rises ? How would having a PS3 on top of it mean anything ?

Exactly, and seeing how the PS3 may be preventing that heat from escaping...

The PS3 has been running full load for the last 2 months, I'm sure the heat it is putting out is not helping matters either. I would imagine that conduction comes into play here.

ineedaname
06-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Well here you go.

This is prob why many of them are messed up.

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+No+Comment+on+Upgraded+Xbox+360+Heatsink s/article7690.htm

KoHaN69
06-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Hey at least they fix them!

$ony's PS2 had a disk reading problem that effected a greater number of customers, was much more mysterious and harder to determine since some consoles died slowly and games began to load slower and some titles not being played, instead of just dying abruptly like the the 360

AND sony refused/charged people to fix it

I hate M$, but they are much better off with 360's customer service than $ony

Datalogger
06-19-2007, 04:39 AM
The heat exits the Back of a Xbox360, and the top near the removable HDD. Putting a PS3 on top of a layed down Xbox360 wouldnt constraint the air flow at all.

Yes and my point is that having a heat generating object on top of the 360 sure isn't helping matters.

Case in point: I just lifted my PS3 up and felt the top of my 360 and it is rather warm. So as I previously stated, conduction may come into play here.

ugp
06-19-2007, 03:07 PM
My buddy is having his XBOX 360 repaired for the third time right now as we speak. All the 3 red lights. This is all within a year period.

Every day or so I get an E74 error code on mine. My warranty is void though so if mine breaks I just go buy a new one anyway.

StealthyFish
06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
do you honestly think I would stop just cause you dare me to say something to a tv station?

I am not loyal to MS or something like that, but facts are theres a quote of 1.75 million users, with a defect rate around 50,000 right in that article.
which is right near the 3% mark for the entire electronics industry apparantly.

and sure...
you can name off 3 people who have had thier 360 die.

but if we had a poll going, to each and every Xbox360 owners house, asking them "is your 360 dead yet?" for every 1 you found, you would find 25,000 or more with no problems before you found the next one.

sorry your 360 died...
but does that make you the majority?
nope.

I dont have a explanation of it.
but to me, facts are far more in favor of MS side, then the people who want to claim various things about thier 360.

but when people mix hype, with failures, you get alot of noise, and noise + the internet, tends to just make alittle noise, into a whole lot of noise.

Hype... is the main problem here.
not 3% failures.

hype makes 1 person tell 100,000 others that thier 360 is gonna explode... and half of them believe it...

even when its them doing ridiculous things, like putting thier 360 into enclosed wooden entertainment centers and playing gears of war for 9 hours straight and wondering why it overheated... then when it does overheat...
rebooting it, and trying to instantly play it again.

with conditions like that, how can you not expect to destroy one?
would you do that to your PC?
no.
and the manual clearly shows that the 360 needs to be in a open and ventilated area to run properly.
but look at peoples game areas, and you dont see the 360. you see a cable coming out of a entertainment center or something.

most people will put 2 and 2 together.
"manual says it needs open area to run well... ok, I'll do that".
but you get that 1-20,000 person that say "screw that, I dont have room" and then wonder why thier 360 is dead in a month.

I am by no means saying you do this.
or your brother, aunt uncle, grandma or dentist...

but sometimes you hear a person describe thier 360 problems and its hard to take them serious at all.

like this guy...

7 dead 360's?

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I have no love for MS, look at my posts, I love blasting Vista, cause basically its a nightmare for me so far.
I talk crap about intels boards being so annoying to OC with... but I use them still cause they are some of the best still. even with the annoyances.

I say the PS3 is a joke... not cause the hardware, but cause of the games...
but if that same PS3 was 299 tommorow, even with the crappy state of thier game line up, I'd have one, and be playing resistance all that night.

I dont have any hardware loyalty... but I do have fully functional BS meter, and with this story.... theres not a inch of it I can believe so far.

Kunaak, you're quite the hypocrite. I'm quite sure, seeing your consistancy in speaking against people who have even had problems occur to themselves, you'd call bloody murder and more if your unit were to die and the 2nd unit you purchased were to die as well. Don't rip on people who have had this problem. It's frustrating and quite un-nerving, and I'm quite sure for those who have had the problem occur to them, they do not appreciate your un-grateful bull:banana::banana::banana::banana:. Keep your mouth shut and just let them air it out instead of trying to put them all down and deny that it's an occurance.

If what I hear is true, Xbox360 yields are worse than some other electronic components. I'm not going to say it's not a problem (like you). I'll say it may be some pretty bad problem if there are that many people complaining, since I have the capacity to feel empathy for others who have problems with products which they bought.

And so what if some guy has 7 dead units? You seem very defensive for Microsoft with this problem. Microsoft makes crap products. Let us experience our fundamental attribution errors. If you were to prove that you held no loyalty to any company, you would have kept quiet.

ineedaname
07-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Well i guess this proves all the claims once and for all.

http://www.dailytech.com/Retailers+Estimate+Xbox+360+Failure+Rate+High+as+3 3+Percent/article7892.htm

SoulsCollective
07-05-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm going to chime in here with my $0.02 - I know of four people with X360s and none of them have had red rings of death.

Perhaps we're looking at a dodgy batch/es here...perhaps they forgot to use TIM or something...

YukonTrooper
07-06-2007, 12:07 AM
I've had 2 fail on me so put me on that list as well. Both with the 3 red rights of death. Fortunately Microsoft as acknowledged the issue and has recently put a 3 year warranty on all Xbox 360's from the purchase date with free shipping to them. I'll be sending in my brick soon.

cruise
07-16-2007, 11:45 PM
BBC = full of BS, this story is also BS. If a user maintains his hardware properly nothing will happend, if he does and things do brake its the simple negative side of mass manufacturing it happends with every product in the world.

So why has microsoft admitted that there are more than an acceptable number of failures and are replacing consoles or refunding the money?

My friends console died on him it was just 3 months old, I laughed at him at the time but then mine died like a few months after that.

DilTech
07-17-2007, 05:09 PM
http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=85600&src=site-marq

Microsoft admitted ALL xbox360's are faulty...

clayton
07-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Ahh, I still have a XBOX360 that runs fine. But this claim might be different to those that opens it almost all day.
________
Vapir No2 Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/portable-vaporizers)