PDA

View Full Version : Hello forum veterans and newbs!

MusicMan
04-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Greetings to all! Brand new here...have a couple questions but first I gotta explain the story.

Brand new to intel chips, haven't touched them since the K6 (I'm only 25 but I feel old) last rig was based on an opty 165 at 2.6 on a dfi ultra-d and corsair pc3200 cas2 2-2-2-5 (stock hsf!). Built the whole thing for less than $900 a year ago after extensive research on what my greatest bang for the buck would be.

Was using it for multi-tracking and mastering (producer, recording artist, band member) and gaming, was pretty happy for the money I spent! Went to the UK to do a solo-tour around europe and shipped my gear over. Well, immigration didnt think I had enough money ($2000) to stay on a visitor's visa for 6 months and thought I was there to work illegally and denyied me entry even though I was going to have free room and board at my sister's place whole lives there.

That was October...just got my stuff back return to sender two days ago, in pieces. I chunk was taken out of the motherboard, the power supply was disasembled in the case, the cpu and ram isn't detected when I tested it on my friend's board...the only thing I salvaged was my two sataII seagate 320gig drives.

Luckly I had insurance and found MOST of my reciepts for my gear (not the one for my sonata II case though dangit!)

So short story long, I'm getting a check for roughly $700 and need to rebuild. After weighing my budget, I have decided that I would be an idiot not to switch to a c2d now. Question time!

E6600 or E6400? I've seen very similar overclocks between the two, and both are dropping in price soon from what I've read...looking for the 3-3.4ghz range. I scythe infinity should get me there no problem I think?

Next up, most stable board all around...not just in overclocking terms. My recording unit is through firewire and I had a hell of a time working out the demons with my last rig. I've read the 975 chipsets are the way to go...recommendations for a good board and ram combo?

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys!

-Chase

Current Rig:
Retarded dell inspiron6000 laptop

boshuter
04-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Welcome to XS MusicMan :) You would be much better off posting this in the "Intel" section, rather than "Xtreme Overclocking", you'll get help much easier there and find a lot of info already posted that will answer you questions ;)