PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor advice

Rinsewand
04-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Hey,

I'm after some decent shots of Andy Goldsworthy outdoor sculptures to be blown up into posters for my new house. I thought it would be a nice touch (as he has an exhibition on near here) to use my own pictures. I've borrowed my dads SLR (a Pentax ME Super http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Pentax_ME_Super) for the job, as my cameraphone isn't exactly suitable!

I've also got a 75-200 telephoto lens, a wide angle lens, and the stock 18-55 (off the top of my head) and a 2x convertor. I've asked my dad for as much advice as he can think of for taking decently artistic pictures, and i was wondering if any of you had any other tips. I'm hopeing to go on a fairly clear bright day, so lighting shouldn't be too much of a problems.

any advice would be brilliant, cheers!

RwD

trance565
04-09-2007, 12:34 AM
a nice, tripod is extremely helpful.

other than that take pictures from all sorts of angles till you feel you covered every angle.

Rinsewand
04-09-2007, 09:05 AM
ahh, heh, cant believe i forgot about that, think we've got one in the loft. cheers

RwD

Magnj
04-09-2007, 02:45 PM
the 75-200 probably won't do you much good...I wouldn't even bother bringing it. The 18-55 will come in handy as will the wide angle (I'm guessing 28mm unless you have a real nice piece of glass).

Shoot as many rolls as you can, shoot at an F stop in the middle of the range so don't shoot wide open at 2.0 or at 22. Make sure you have good lighting...If you can find an off camera flash it will certainly be useful...bring a diffuser.

Think about what it is going to look like as a print...where you want to put it...etc. Don't forget the rule of thirds ;)

Soulburner
04-09-2007, 05:24 PM
A polarizing filter can do wonders for saturation and deep blue skies.

Rinsewand
04-11-2007, 09:39 AM
ahh well, rather annoyingly the exhibition turned out to be rubbish. Also, considering Andy Goldsworth is famed for outdoor art, it was all indoors, with guides, and a no photography rule. gahh.

cheers for the advice though!

RwD