PDA

View Full Version : Gaming system, need some recommendations

flo7002
04-07-2007, 03:38 AM
Hi all,

After reading a bunch of threads around here, I'm still not sure what all to get for a new gaming system. I'm planning the build in the next couple of months and I figured it would be a good idea to get some second opinions or some new ideas.

My budget is about $2,000.

PSU - Corsair HX Series 620W

CPU - E6600 - probably will wait till end of the month for price drop. Also, I would like to overclock it some.

Heatsink - Tuniq tower

RAM - Corsair DDR2 2x1GB- no sure which one exactly yet. Will getting 4GB be worth the money?

Mobo - Asus - also not sure which one exactly - probably will not do SLI

GFX card - 8800gtx, unless something better comes out in the next 2 months.

HD's - i got a raptor 74gb - for windows, seagate 300gb, hitachi 250gb for storage (both SATA). Should I get new HD's or do a RAID?

Case - I'm debating between 3 or 4. Antec p182, Thermaltake Armor, Lian Li Pc-101, Lian Li Pc-A10. I always have a though time picking a case...

Sound - is it worth getting a x-fi or a good mobo with integrated chip would work well?

I'm willing to wait till about the beginning of June to build it, cause I want to have it for the summer when I'll have more free time to play around with it.

Any comments, suggestions would be much appreciated.

XenatR
04-07-2007, 06:55 AM
PSU - Corsair HX Series 620W }}yes{{

CPU - E6600 - probably will wait till end of the month for price drop. Also, I would like to overclock it some. }}yes{{

Heatsink - Tuniq tower }}yes{{

RAM - Corsair DDR2 2x1GB- no sure which one exactly yet. Will getting 4GB be worth the money? }}not unless youre gona be running vista, which i recommend against, untill in maybe 6months or more. i would go with G.Skill HZ 2gb ram (the black sticks).. one of the most stable and best overclockers out there{{

Mobo - Asus - also not sure which one exactly - probably will not do SLI }}i would go for the BadAxe2.. it is very stable and is fully compatible with the quad cores (if youre gona buy one in the pricedrops this/next year){{

GFX card - 8800gtx, unless something better comes out in the next 2 months. }}no, go for the 7900GS, then, in a few months or so, get the 8900 or wait for the G90 series cards{{

HD's - i got a raptor 74gb - for windows, seagate 300gb, hitachi 250gb for storage (both SATA). Should I get new HD's or do a RAID? }}looks good{{

Case - I'm debating between 3 or 4. Antec p182, Thermaltake Armor, Lian Li Pc-101, Lian Li Pc-A10. I always have a though time picking a case... }}i have an antec 900 case.. and although it is large (not a bad thing imo), it has awesome cooling inside{{

Sound - is it worth getting a x-fi or a good mobo with integrated chip would work well? }}no, integrated chips are awful. well.. i guess it depends on what youre gona be using it for, but i like my sound to be clear, so i have gone for an X-Meridian{{

maybe go for the E6300, then wait for the pricedrops of the quad core? thats what im doing anyway:P

Nazu
04-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Mobo: Intel Bad Axe 2. Stable and troublefree mobo and it overclocks well too.
Case: From those three I'd pick either the P182 if you wan't a really quiet computer or the Lian Li PC-101 if you just want a quiet computer.

Other parts look good :)

L'enFer
04-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Mobo - Asus - also not sure which one exactly - probably will not do SLI
Asus P5B.

flo7002
04-07-2007, 08:13 AM
So when's the 8900 or whatever supposed to be coming out? I keep reading on diff. sites that it should come out about the same time w/ the r600.
I live in Bermuda and I'm taking a couple trips to the states during may and june, so those are my only opportunities to get a new comp and bring it here. Shipping stuff here from the states costs a fortune...

Question about the PSU though: since it has a side fan, and a case like the P182 has that small enclosure for the psu, will it run the risk of overheating since the warm air can blow out in the whole case? does that make sense or should i try to explain better what I mean?

thx for the help guys

XenatR
04-07-2007, 11:47 AM
the 12mm fan of the 620watt corsair is on the top of the psu and blows air out of the back

not on the side o_o