PDA

View Full Version : Study: Violent Video Games Only Affect Unstable Youth

NickS
04-06-2007, 06:07 PM
There has been a lot of discussion about what type of negative impact video games have on young gamers -- including addiction, real-life speeding, desensitization, paranoia. A study published in Psychology, Crime & Law claims that stable personalities are unaffected by violent video games.

Researchers had 110 boys and 15 girls -- mean age of 14.6 -- play Quake II for 20 minutes once researchers had a personality profile of each participant. Anger levels were measured again immediately after the gaming test session ended. Researchers discovered three distinct groups once analyzing the data. Seventy seven participants maintained the same anger level. Twenty two subjects had anger levels that doubled from the same starting point as unaffected participants. Eight participants started out a higher level of anger before the test started, but dropped them down to normal levels after 20 minutes of game play.

There are two groups that gamers from the studied fell into -- stable personalities, and the other group was comprised of gamers whose emotional states can be susceptible of game play. Angry gamers tend to cool off after game play, where as calm gamers will most likely become agitated.

Regardless of what this particular research team discovered, a possible link between violent video games and real-life violence will continue to be studied by researchers around the world. The authors of the report understand that any correlation between aggression and anger remains very unclear to researchers, and the next step is to run the tests over with different subjects and different video games.

Well, no sh1t. People who said violent video games cause kids to kill need to be drug out into the street and shot.

http://dailytech.com/Study+Violent+Video+Games+Only+Affect+Unstable+You th/article6781.htm

MaxxxRacer
04-06-2007, 06:34 PM
lol.. Because I havn't been saying this since I was 10 years old. Atleast someone finally did a study on it.

OmegaMerc
04-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Jack Thompson on the case to sue for slander and conspiracy.

dqniel
04-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Well, no sh1t. People who said violent video games cause kids to kill need to be drug out into the street and shot.

http://dailytech.com/Study+Violent+Video+Games+Only+Affect+Unstable+You th/article6781.htm

It shouldn't have taken a study to determine this :P

STEvil
04-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Studies: confirming for the experts what the unimpressionable general public already knows.

Omastar
04-06-2007, 08:10 PM
It shouldn't have taken a study to determine this :P

Yeah, seriously. Are they telling me one must be PREDISPOSED to violence to be AFFECTED by violent stimuli? GASP. MY WORLD NO LONGER MAKES SENSE. :rolleyes: If you can't play a 'violent' video game and NOT kill your family, then you have some deep-seated problems, ones that you cannot demonize the video game industry for.

In a related story, "Scientists are doing studies about things."

dqniel
04-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah, seriously. Are they telling me one must be PREDISPOSED to violence to be AFFECTED by violent stimuli? GASP. MY WORLD NO LONGER MAKES SENSE. :rolleyes: If you can't play a 'violent' video game and NOT kill your family, then you have some deep-seated problems, ones that you cannot demonize the video game industry for.

In a related story, "Scientists are doing studies about things."

Haha, so true. I've played violent games my whole life and I still can't look at injuries in real life or see graphic violence in movies without it affecting me. I'm also about as physically passive as they come.

Omastar
04-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Haha, so true. I've played violent games my whole life and I still can't look at injuries in real life or see graphic violence in movies without it affecting me. I'm also about as physically passive as they come.

I only become violent when I'm really pushed, or when I see a threat to me or someone I care about. Otherwise, I just like to stay uninvolved in people's little dysfunctional happenings as possible. I mean, I've played so many countless hours of Quake 3/4, F.E.A.R., etc., if I were going to go Ted Bundy, I would've already.

And I feel the same way about graphic violence, people in pain, and so forth. It really perturbs me on a deep level, although many would have you believe they think it's funny. Unless they're really, really psychologically malformed, they're lying.

ahmad
04-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Studies: confirming for the experts what the unimpressionable general public already knows.

Thats true in a funny and insulting way :slobber:

Sorrow13
04-06-2007, 11:19 PM
i tend to be pretty violent, but i was that way WAY before i ever played vidgames, mario included. people love to look for an excuse to blame someone else.

Piotrsama
04-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Made me remember this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA&eurl=http%3

XSAlliN
04-07-2007, 09:26 AM
1 out of 2.000.000 people that play games does something horrible consumed by anger and influenced by games (like shooting a teacher), 1 out of 15 people that get drunk does something horrible (like killing a friend/wife) because of his current state combined with a violent personality, I rest my case.

Kingcarcas
04-07-2007, 10:53 PM
This just in: People who are violent have been known to eat bread. Parents should prohibit their children from eating bread. :slap:

STEvil
04-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Thats true in a funny and insulting way :slobber:

I try ;)