PDA

View Full Version : Attempt 1.1

MrToad
04-06-2007, 12:39 PM
After attempt 1.0 went pete-tong, here are pics of my attempt 1.1, with new MB and w/o VReg and NB blocks this time.

Currently leak testing and bleeding, w/o CPU and with the case completely naked.

This time the liquid's gone more foamy, I suppose because I don't have the NB and the VReg killing the flow anymore. Once I've bled all the air I hope it will go clear again.

I don't want to buy a third MB right now, so I will go stock VReg/NB/SB cooling for the time being, with the aid of a couple of 60mm fans. Once it's available I might give the Thermalright solution for the VRegs a shot and put the NB block back if the stock cooling is not enough.

Definitely I will ditch the idea of W/C-ing the VRegs. Although in this MB the encapsulation is organic and not ceramic, I don't trust the idea anymore. Besides, the VReg block hurts the flow quite a bit, and is going to dump a ton of unwanted heat in the loop.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/7791/pic1zb3.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1138/pic2jt0.jpg
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5650/pic3qy5.jpg

NickS
04-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Looks good :) Purple is different, should look nice with some UV CCFL's.

newls1
04-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Very nice! Dont really like the color choice for your water, but the install is perfect! Good job

MrToad
04-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Dont really like the color choice for your water

Well, is the colour zerex comes in :P

Couldn't find any Pentosin or HydrX when I ordered the stuff couple of months ago, so I went for this one.

Maybe next time I empty the loop I will use Pentosin ^^. I quite like the blue.

Sideroxylon
04-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Good install. Hate the cool sleeves. Freakin' venereal warts of the wc'ing world.

syne_24
04-06-2007, 01:53 PM
I love the routing, short and effective. Nice job. :)

p0tter
04-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Psu ?

NickS
04-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Psu ?

Leaktesting stage I'm guessing :p:

MrToad
04-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Leaktesting stage I'm guessing :p:

Yup... I'm using one of the bench PSUs to power the pump. I'm not taking any chances ^^

NickS
04-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Yup... I'm using one of the bench PSUs to power the pump. I'm not taking any chances ^^

You say that now but by your second or third loop, you'll stop leaktesting. Trust me. Hell, I barely leaktested my first ever loop (does 30 minutes count?)

IMO, if it doesn't leak during filling, it wont leak. If you think about it, it has no reason to leak if you do it right. :)

MrToad
04-06-2007, 03:58 PM
You say that now but by your second or third loop, you'll stop leaktesting. Trust me. Hell, I barely leaktested my first ever loop (does 30 minutes count?)

IMO, if it doesn't leak during filling, it wont leak. If you think about it, it has no reason to leak if you do it right. :)

I'm still concerned about my previous miserable failure. Is not going to make any real difference, but it makes me feel better :p:

Allsorts
04-06-2007, 04:11 PM
I likey! Layout is very neat and well thought out. :clap:

p0tter
04-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Where is he going to install the PSU ?

MrToad
04-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Where is he going to install the PSU ?

It would be funny if now I'd say "oh cr@p" :p:

Anyway, the pump and the reservoir are mounted in the space where the HDD cage was (the case is a TT Armor, with a few modifications here and there... or it will be when I put it back together :D ). The space for the PSU is untouched.

Solarfall
04-06-2007, 11:37 PM
i like it, that purple sure does looks different from all the green and blue additiveds people tend to use.....

BTW mounting your pump d5/4 upside down can cause damage to it in the long term

MrToad
04-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Well, finally, after mistakes, mess and disasters, I'm ready to go "gold".

If everything goes ok I will take some (hopefully better) pictures for the gallery tomorrow.

For now, here's a couple of quick pics I've just taken in the messy kitchen :D

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7531/sidesx2.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/643/frontql6.jpg

serialk11r
04-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Wow, I must say, that is THE BEST use of coolsleeves ever. I hate the purple color of zerex, but with the coolsleeves I love it. Congrats. I really like the way the pump and res are, looks sweet.

NaeKuh
04-09-2007, 02:57 PM
O M G... im gonna have to steal your reservoir mounting tech.

That has to be sexy... :D

syne_24
04-09-2007, 03:24 PM

Haha i didnt leak test my first loop too; I was too anxious to get everything running. I think as long as you are careful with each step and double check your work, then it's all good. Hell I'm not even using hose clamps anymore.. ;)

MrToad
04-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Well... finally this weekend I found time to actually finish and fire it up.

The computer room now looks as it should, rather than resembling a cross between a workshop and a tip.

Surprisingly I managed to boot into XP w/o reinstall, although the chipset in this MB is completely different, so is the SATA controller.

I need to reinstall though, before I start tweaking. Things get bad enough on a clean install, I don't need the extra aggro from conflicting old drivers/settings.

For now with everything running @stock my CPU (X6800) idles @30, GPU (8800GTX)@40, case temp is 27 and water temp is 26.7 with ambient temp 24, and the only damned thing I can hear is the Dominator fan. I think I'm going to have a rummage in my dark chest of wonders to see if I can find a 12V > 7V cable.

After I reinstall I will run orthos overnight and immediately after a few passes of 3D Mark to see what the load temps are.