PDA

View Full Version : PSU burned

Duh
04-05-2007, 07:49 AM
A friend of mine powere up a PowerStream 520w Ocz psu with the switch turned into 110 when we use 220v in here. Is there anything that can be done?

TIA

J

RyderOCZ
04-05-2007, 08:47 AM
I will assume it made some horrendous noise and there might have been sparks/fire involved?

There is not a lot I can do, he should have made sure it was set correctly.

Did he bring the unit in from the states?

Duh
04-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Rider, not trying to be a moron but when you say:"he should have made sure it was set correctly." I think the same but what has been done is already done so the only thing we can do know is try to solve it right?
I will ask those questions to him

EDIT:

My mate told me he had plugged in the psu after going to a dance club and having slept at all, so he says he does not remember much but he thinks he saw a light and can t tell wether it came from one of the fans or the psu itself.
He brought the psu from the US.

Do you think it might be way too expensive to have it repaired here?

RyderOCZ
04-05-2007, 11:12 AM
If you move the switch to 220, does the PSU work at all?

It more than likely cannot be repaired, it would just depend on what was damaged, it if was just the fuse, then replacing it should solve the issue, but I do not know what might be broken inside.

Duh
04-05-2007, 02:15 PM
I should ask him, but he did change the fuse and told me it was still :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed up. Do you know which componets might have been :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed up?

andyOCZ
04-06-2007, 02:36 PM
The transfomers may be burned out, it may just be the fuse? There is no way to tell without tesing it. The PSU can protect itself pretty well when a voltage spike comes along, but doubling the voltage is not something they are designed to handle.

nn_step
04-06-2007, 02:41 PM
sounds like there should have been an voltage sense inside the PSU that remove the need for the manual selection of voltage

andyOCZ
04-06-2007, 02:47 PM
The PowerStream is a disontinued model. Our new PSU's auto-sense the voltage.

We made an EU version of the PowerStream that was set for 220v (no 110v option). The US version was set for 110v from the factory, but also had a switch to allow 220v operation.

[XC] Lead Head
04-06-2007, 04:18 PM
PSUs have a Voltage double in the, to double 110 volts to 220, setting that switch to 110 in a 220 mains feed, effectively runs 440 volts through your PSU. Basically, the PSU is pretty much done for, and the components of your PC may also be damanged

Duh
04-07-2007, 08:49 AM
thanks for the input guys..
@lead head: not my psu nor pc actually..
@andy: many thanks for the informative support :)