PDA

View Full Version : Pelt newb

antipop
06-06-2003, 08:02 AM
I'm a newb in pelt, i've never owned one but i knew a little about it. I was looking at the MCW50 but the MCW50-T is only $20 more. But i've a few question before buying one:

1- What difference will i see if i buy the MCW50-T over the MCW50?
2- Is it easy to install?
3- What kind of paste should i apply?
4- If i hook the pelt to my psu will it work or will i blow the psu (TTGI 440W)? I've a 250W psu that i don't use, maybe i can hook it on it?
5- I don't have a pelt on my cpu block, i'll buy a LRWW soon (at least i plan to :)). Will it increase my cpu temp? The loop will be
pump-> Heatercore-> cpu block-> gpu block-> pump

KnightElite
06-06-2003, 08:14 AM
MCW50-T has a TEC in it instead of a metal plate. You cannot use the MCW50-T without the TEC.
Yes, it should be. It comes with all the proper insulation.
Regular Thermal paste.... whatever you normally use.
It will probably work from your TTGI PSU... if your voltages are dropping too low, then consider hooking it up to the 250W.
Yes, it will increase your CPU temperature because the water will be hotter. If you have good cooling on your water, it should remain manageable though.

Teus
06-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by KnightElite
Regular Thermal paste.... whatever you normally use.
It will probably work from your TTGI PSU... if your voltages are dropping too low, then consider hooking it up to the 250W.

use arctic alumina/céramique, they work fine below zero degrees (other pastes not)
-use dedicated PSU, less load = better voltage rails = better overclock. use a relais or so to power the stuff on :)

antipop
06-06-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by KnightElite
[MCW50-T has a TEC in it instead of a metal plate. You cannot use the MCW50-T without the TEC.
Lol i think i've noticed that! I was talking in term of overclocking, i admit it wasn't clear

charlie
06-06-2003, 08:50 AM
AP,
A BIG difference. The mCW50-t performs great, even with warm water...even when my reservoir has heated up and I'm done benching...the back of the gpu is still cool. I'm up to like 520 with 1.9v...think i need a bigger tec to go higher.
C

antipop
06-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Alright, it looks like a good start in the TEC world, i'll have enough money by the end of this month. So i'll buy it then, at first i'll use it with the TTGI, because i don't know if the 250W is still working
I've a heatercore on my sys and i'll buy a delta 130cfm to cool it in push-pull.
One last question, i've heard that i'll need some dielectric grease. Is it useful and what does it do?

charlie
06-06-2003, 09:20 AM
AP,
Use d-grease to protect from condensation. On the top of your gpu pcb there are tiny resistors around the core but inside the shimmed area. BTW, with the mCW50T, don't remove the shim.
Put grease over the little resistors and the pcb there...you can even use a little between your vid card and the MCW50T gasket for a little extra...
C

Johnny Knoxvill
06-06-2003, 09:23 AM
do you need to put some foam at the back of the card too to prevent from condensation?
btw, does the shin-etsu g751 support negative temperatures

antipop
06-06-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Knoxvill
do you need to put some foam at the back of the card too to prevent from condensation?
btw, does the shin-etsu g751 support negative temperatures For both the answer is yes, shin etsu is great for minus temp.

Charlie, i'd love to have a shim to remove :D but i only have a ti4400 :( Anyway my next purshase is a new vid card. Hopefully the mcw50-t can work for both of them

charlie
06-06-2003, 03:35 PM
AP,
Well that'll be a CHILLY ti4400. Best of luck.
C