PDA

View Full Version : DDC-2 or 655 for this system...

BigRollTide1
04-04-2007, 05:21 AM
FuZion, 2 x EK 8800GTX, NB, SB, PA120.3

If I get a DDC2 it will be a modded one with 1/2" barbs

Levish
04-04-2007, 06:24 AM
5 blocks = 2 loops imo make a dedicated cpu loop and one for the rest of the stuff

IanY
04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
You sure you have enough radiator power for those five blocks?

Solarfall
04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
You sure you have enough radiator power for those five blocks?

that what i was thinking too. two separate loops would make more sense to me.

and the answer to your question- ddc2 is the better one from those two

serialk11r
04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
DDC has higher max. pressure so I'd get that one (multiple blocks). Well since you have the money for 8800gtx sli, I'd just go ahead, get another PA120.3, and put NB and CPU on it. Personally I'd ditch the SB but that's your choice.

BigRollTide1
04-04-2007, 12:57 PM
that what i was thinking too. two separate loops would make more sense to me.

and the answer to your question- ddc2 is the better one from those two

DDC is better? I keep hearing it has a whining noise. Half the people say DDC2 is better, half say 655. Why do you think the DDC is better?

serialk11r
04-04-2007, 01:06 PM
DDC is better? I keep hearing it has a whining noise. Half the people say DDC2 is better, half say 655. Why do you think the DDC is better?

There are people who own both, if I recall correctly, D5 is louder. True the DDC has a whining noise, but how much better could the D5 be???
The DDC has higher MAX HEAD PRESSURE which means its flow decreases less as restriction goes up. Restriction creates pressure drop, and the pump will generate more pressure. To generate more pressure, it loses flow. In a watercooling loop, you need max. head pressure more (because you won't ever achieve 4gpm or something with a non-insane pump).

BigRollTide1
04-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Personally I'd ditch the SB but that's your choice.

I probably will at first. But I'm not getting 2 x 120.3's. Not for cost, but for space. I don't want to have to externally mount a radiator.

I ordered my case (SilverStone TJ07) today to see spacewise of getting the rads/pumps in the bottom. I did already order a 655 with my case as many others responded faster on hardforum.com and said the DDC was whiny.

One 120.2 should cool CPU and 1 GPU

Another 120.2 should cool 1 GPU and NB/SB.

However, if one PA120.3 can cool CPU, 2xGPU, and NB then I might do that instead, getting the EVGA SB fan cooler for it.

serialk11r
04-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I probably will at first. But I'm not getting 2 x 120.3's. Not for cost, but for space. I don't want to have to externally mount a radiator.

I ordered my case (SilverStone TJ07) today to see spacewise of getting the rads/pumps in the bottom. I did already order a 655 with my case as many others responded faster on hardforum.com and said the DDC was whiny.

One 120.2 should cool CPU and 1 GPU

Another 120.2 should cool 1 GPU and NB/SB.

However, if one PA120.3 can cool CPU, 2xGPU, and NB then I might do that instead, getting the EVGA SB fan cooler for it.

I think its a matter of restriction. Putting ALL that stuff in ONE loop will hurt the performance somewhat. I'd try something like a PA120.2 in the drive bays, then a PA120.3 in the bottom. PA120.2 for CPU and NB, 120.3 for GPUs. I actually don't like the idea of cooling NB a lot, I would personally go with a passive heatsink (doesn't hurt performance, silent).

BigRollTide1
04-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I think its a matter of restriction. Putting ALL that stuff in ONE loop will hurt the performance somewhat.

Yeah, I'm sure...will probably overclock reasonably and buy a 2nd rad/pump/res in a couple of months if I can't get the perfomance I want. masaville was able to fit 2 rads in the bottom of his TJ07, but I can't do my pumps like he did.

I'd try something like a PA120.2 in the drive bays, then a PA120.3 in the bottom. PA120.2 for CPU and NB, 120.3 for GPUs.

No room in drive bays for rad -- getting the Silverstone 3.5 drive bay for 3 hard drives, and will have 2 DVD/CD drives, a sunbeam rheostat, which leaves one empty drive bay left.

I actually don't like the idea of cooling NB a lot, I would personally go with a passive heatsink (doesn't hurt performance, silent).

Yeah, but that tower is ugly! EK has a block specifically for the EVGA NB that should be hitting the shelves really soon.

Solarfall
04-04-2007, 08:02 PM

the whining noise is caused by air trapped in side the pumps motor, the D5 has the same proplem i have em both. after they have been running for a while and all the air is gone from the motors they both are really silent.