PDA

View Full Version : The need for high posts counts....

johnny6722
06-05-2003, 08:38 AM
I am new to this forum, but am an active memeber in a number of others. One thing I noticed in all of them is everyone's desire to post as much as possible to increase thier post count.

What this does is encourage people to reply to everything even if they have nothing to say regarding the topic. Often times in the form of negative comments resulting in arguments, flaming, etc.

Personally I could care less what my post count is. I am here to learn new things, share ideas and experience, find help, get opinions, etc... Not have a high "post" number.

For example, in the Guru3D forums, there is a guy "Razor xxxxx", been a member for like 2 months with a very high post count (averaging like 11 posts/day). Many of his posts are sarcastic or meaningless and many people cant stand him. But, he reads everything and replies to everything because he is trying to get a high post count. He is a Master Guru after 8 weeks but rarely offers anything helpful or constructive, and I am still a regular member because I have a very small post count, but my posts have reason.

Why do forums encourage this anyway? Does it really matter that much to have big post numbers? Doesnt it just clog up the forums with alot of worthless crap and take away from the primary purpose?

Sorry about the rant, especially from a newbie to this forum. But its the same story all over and I have a hard time understanding why.

This is a great forum, with alot of knowledgeable members and some great info. But its like the rest when it comes to the post numbers game...

:soap:

JBELL
06-05-2003, 09:05 AM
Yeah I for one am against post spamming!! I have a high post count but a good portion has served a service to the site in helping staff and members..

... and people wonder why I do not have stars installed here yet... just a nother tool in the aid of spam I personally believe.

7371 (13.24 posts per day)

twiggy
06-05-2003, 09:17 AM
I lurk. :D

384 (1.25 posts per day)

johnny6722
06-05-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by JBELL
Yeah I for one am against post spamming!! I have a high post count but a good portion has served a service to the site in helping staff and members..

... and people wonder why I do not have stars installed here yet... just a nother tool in the aid of spam I personally believe.

I agree. Its almost like the starts are a reward for BSing...

Is there some way to earn stars for topic type or content rather than just the shear number of posts? Like, if someone posts a really useful topic, or goes thru great lengths to provide helpful info.

For example, the work that Liquid3D did in this post:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11215&highlight=default+clock+speed

He must have spent alot of time researching and compiling the info he presented. It was very well written and interesting.

But, for the most part I have noticed that this is a GREAT forum and one of the best IMHO.

I will probably spend more time here than in some others that seem to be filled with troublemakers and spammers.

JBELL
06-05-2003, 09:29 AM
there are ways but it is not easy.... establishment of quality to where the forums itself judges is hard and a members merit grading system wouldnt work either.... members coudl just work together to boost each other up.

johnny6722
06-05-2003, 09:32 AM
True.... Which would promote another form of that behavior.

Maybe the current system in this forum is the best. There is MUCH less of that here than in most others. And so far, I have seen a rather decent group of people here.

JBELL
06-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by johnny6722
True.... Which would promote another form of that behavior.

Maybe the current system in this forum is the best. There is MUCH less of that here than in most others. And so far, I have seen a rather decent group of people here.

I still look for options however.. be nice to have a reward system. But or now being the #1 in ability and stats for overclocking will do... :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Johnny Knoxvill
06-05-2003, 09:42 AM
WELCOME TO THE SICKNESS (or was that welcome to jackass) :toast:

:banana: postcount++; :banana: :D
:spam:

johnny6722
06-05-2003, 09:52 AM
Johnny Knoxvill....

Funny you should post here. I have been wondering who you are! I assume like me, you use the same name in all the forums you belong to.

In another forum recently someone suggested that I was "Johnny Knoxvill" using another name (because I am Johnny6722) and I had numerous people flaming me thinking I was you (if you are that same Johnny Knoxvill that was banned from that forum).

If that was you, what did you do to make so many "freinds"?

Keeper
06-05-2003, 10:05 AM
I am only posting to see how many I have, I never noticed a ranking here.

I see I have less than 300........I rank as an Xtreme Member

Cool

It's nice to belong, thanks Admins, Mods and all the other members that make this the most helpful tech site I have seen on the net.

Johnny Knoxvill
06-05-2003, 10:13 AM

In another forum recently someone suggested that I was "Johnny Knoxvill" using another name (because I am Johnny6722) and I had numerous people flaming me thinking I was you (if you are that same Johnny Knoxvill that was banned from that forum).

If that was you, what did you do to make so many "freinds"?

lol, you had people flaming you because they tought you were me? :D
it wasn't in a RTCW forum was it? :cool:

JBELL
06-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Keeper
I am only posting to see how many I have, I never noticed a ranking here.

I see I have less than 300........I rank as an Xtreme Member

Cool

It's nice to belong, thanks Admins, Mods and all the other members that make this the most helpful tech site I have seen on the net.

Anytime :toast:

johnny6722
06-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Knoxvill
lol, you had people flaming you because they tought you were me? :D
it wasn't in a RTCW forum was it? :cool:

O/C Forums

Johnny Knoxvill
06-05-2003, 10:25 AM
O/C Forums

lol

johnny6722
06-05-2003, 10:30 AM
lol

So, what DID you do???

Johnny Knoxvill
06-05-2003, 10:49 AM
So, what DID you do???

i got banned for spamming or posting slightly with borderline language in general (not anything serious), i reregistered a couple of times afterwards and they got annoyed ;)

here's the buddy christ pic, ok maybe not :D

JBELL
06-05-2003, 10:50 AM
i got banned for spamming or posting slightly with borderline language in general (not anything serious), i reregistered a couple of times afterwards and they got annoyed ;)

...as well as your run ins here... gave you a second chance and you have been well behaved.

johnny6722
06-05-2003, 11:02 AM

here's the buddy christ pic, ok maybe not :D

No wonder I got so much greif!

WHY behave like that?

Johnny Knoxvill
06-05-2003, 11:08 AM
No wonder I got so much greif!

WHY behave like that?

i had mood swings depending on my g/f time of the month. :D
now i dumped her http://liquidninjas.com/bbs/images/smilies/general/new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

TheDude
06-05-2003, 12:27 PM
Welcome to Xtreme johnny6722,

You have a very valid point about the spammed post counts. I get an email every time anyone posts to this forum and I try to check each and every one. It gets to me sometimes when I check a dozen posts in a row and none of them have anything to say about the thread, just a bunch of bs.
But until someone can come up with a solution, I guess we are stuck with it. A certain amount of bs is harmless, but when someone has more posts in 2 months than I do in 2 years, that's just plain wrong. The only way to get that many posts is to crap threads.

Tweaked!
06-05-2003, 01:14 PM
johnny6722, welcome to Xtreme! :d You'll find that around here we do have some peeps that post a considerable amount of posts, but their still helpful in the majority of them to some kind of degree. But we also have our little breathers where we just spam the sh*t out of a useless thread, helps to alleviate any boredom and gets the spirits up. Some of us are die hard lifers with nothing better to do sometimes than to just go off at the keyboard, be it whether we're ranting about something stupid, or just plain having fun. But one thing you'll never find here is any kind of flaming or negativity towards others. It's simply not tolerated and most everyone here knows that we were all noobs at one point in time (except for Jbell, which we tolerate him ;) ). So I honestly hope you find the warm welcome and vast amount of info here useful and decide to stick around, we enjoy the company. :D :cool:

Johnny Knoxvill
06-05-2003, 02:34 PM
nearly all the spam is in Wampeteers, Foma, & Granfaloons (that's what that section is there for :banana: ).
If you see spam somewhere else, then report it to a mod.

CCW
06-05-2003, 08:59 PM
I am not going to comment, its Antipop's and I's fault this thread is here.

Craig

TheDude
06-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by CCW

Craig

That's not true dude.....all of us do it....even admins and mods...what I was talking about was thread crapping more than post count. Like Johnny Knoxvill said....if it's done in Wampeteers, Foma, & Granfaloons....it's cool. It's cool that you and Antipop spend so much time in here and know what's going on. Don't stop posting because of this thread.
We all need to be more aware of thread crapping and keep threads on target. It disrespects the thread poster when we turn his problem into a silly chat session. There's a time to have fun and a time to be serious....the thing is to keep them seperate as much as possible and still enjoy ourselves.

Don't be so hard on yourself M8....or I will have to bring out my mouse cord! :eek:

antipop
06-06-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by CCW

Craig Hey i didn't do anything :D
I still thing that i'm sometimes useful to this forums so as you CCW and so as all the guy with high post numbers! The number of post doesn't mean anything, and as far as spamming goes we have your little jokes (mouse cord ;) ) and we try not to spam the useful thread but we do it to the one in the photochop of the wampeteers.
For the congrat post, it's always nice for the guys who posted the thread to know that his work is recognized by his peer

TheDude
06-06-2003, 08:47 AM
For the congrat post, it's always nice for the guys who posted the thread to know that his work is recognized by his peer

I agree 100% :D

JBELL
06-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Rules and laws are never absolute, that is why Xtreme is so successfull in this area.. we have set the forums up with areas suited for their goals, speak freely you have more vocal freedom against something than you would in say the folding area... As staff we understand the need to vent and are very flexable in this, as long as you do it in the right parts of the site.

JB

TheDude
06-06-2003, 09:29 AM
EXACTLY! Very well said JB :toast:

antipop
06-06-2003, 09:37 AM
That's a good idea, the speak freely has help to move some thread without crapping the rest of the forum. There is quite some spamming but it's controlled (i hope so :))

JBELL
06-06-2003, 10:01 AM
If I see a problem, my next step is to disable post ounts in those said areas... whereever the problem is and have post count be more accurately counted towards posts of help in the forums and not just posts period.

I personally feel classifieds and speak freely for example do not require a post audit in them for our members but I have left them open so far.

TerroH8er
06-15-2003, 04:48 PM
johnny, what's your name on Guru3d? I thought I was the only one who was a member there in this neck of the woods.

I think the biggest reason for spamming is to gain respect in the community.. think about it, you're new to a forum and you ask a question, and a poster with the rank "n00b" whos posted 11 times responds to your post, but then someone with the title "Honorable Member" or something who has thousands of posts contradicts the first poster. Who are you more likely to believe?

I used to be the biggest post wh0re of all time, posting 50 times a day on a small forum (heh, ya think i didn't hear it after I pulled that one?), but now I've settled down.

As with anything, people strive to belong, and the internet is no exception.. but i personally don't think post whoring is a good way to do this. As TheDude mentioned, people (including myself) try to check every topic posted on that they miss. To go through 20 threads to find a single post that is worth reading isn't very exciting.

Believe it not though, I've found XtremeSystems to be one of the better forums to deal with spam, and as you might expect, [H] is the worst, although I regret to inform everyone that I no longer have access to it :p:

sheez.. i can't think today, that took like a half hour lol

johnny6722
06-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Same name on Guru3D, Johnny6722

Where in NE Penn are you? Thats where I was from before I moved here (Raleigh, NC).

This is about the BEST forum so far.

sandman
06-15-2003, 09:52 PM
ok, so you guys don't mind that I post a lot. that's good. I just get bored...........I'll probably slow down once I get settled in more.

antipop
06-16-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by TerroH8er
might expect, [H] is the worst, although I regret to inform everyone that I no longer have access to it :p:
That's not a big loss for you :D I like to check all the new thread (as far as i can) and try to help or comment when i can
ps i think the idea of JBell of removing the postcount in wampeteers is a good idea : more spamming freely :banana3: :wierd: :eleph: :YIPPIE:

TerroH8er
06-16-2003, 07:57 AM
Same name on Guru3D, Johnny6722

Where in NE Penn are you? Thats where I was from before I moved here (Raleigh, NC).

This is about the BEST forum so far.

about 15 mins out of danville, near berwick if you've ever heard of it.

johnny6722
06-16-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by TerroH8er
about 15 mins out of danville, near berwick if you've ever heard of it.

I used to live 10 minutes south of Danville, in Elysburg...

CCW
06-16-2003, 09:20 AM
c'mon huys, this stuff should be communicated in PMs not in spam mode :D

only joking

antipop
06-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by CCW
c'mon huys, this stuff should be communicated in PMs not in spam mode :D
Who are u to say that, you're the first to spam :spam: :cord:

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 04:30 AM
Interesting development....

I got a PM from Tweaked! saying I can no longer access my post in the for sale section (selling an xp2100) because a NEW RULE now says we need 100 posts.

Heres a perfect reason to promote spamming and needless posts. 100 posts could take someone like me a year, but I guess I will have to be like the other trolls and reply to EVERYTHING now, because like all the other garbage forums, this one is now the SAME.

No different, no better, and the same NEED to get your posts count up!

I don't know why I ever thought this place was different. Just another forum, thats all it is. Same rules, same people, same garbage.

:soap: :brick: :bs: :spam: :rolleyes:

I RETRACT my earlier statement when i said this was the BEST forum....

:(

antipop
06-19-2003, 04:49 AM
Interesting development....

I got a PM from Tweaked! saying I can no longer access my post in the for sale section (selling an xp2100) because a NEW RULE now says we need 100 posts. You don't have to be so harsh on the forum, it's still the best out here. There was some problem with people spamming to reach the 100 posts count but if you get caught doing that they'll disabled your account so you can't go in the buy/sell section

The hack is here for a purpose and not to annoy people! It's a way to guarantee that you can trust the seller and it's easier to check him.
Adding this won't change the people here and the quality of the reply to a problem

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 04:52 AM
I beg to differ...

Same rules as the other forums, same results...

PERIOD!

You know JohnnyKnoxville.... This will make MORE of him. He admits he spams in this very thread! But regardless of his reputation, he is more qualified to sell and access that part of the forum (and more trustworthy)?

again...

:bs: in its purest form.

Harsh or not, I am voicing my opinion, which i have the right to do.

IFMU
06-19-2003, 05:06 AM
johnny6722 Im sorry you feel that one of the ways we feel is needed to attempt to help protect our members makes us
like all the other garbage forums, this one is now the SAME.
We are doing this to help protect the members of the forums and feel at least slightly safer when buying from others within.
This rule has been used at another site for quite some time, and the folks there have yet to be ripped off.
So this makes it a waste of time?

Granted, there are folks that will try to spam their way to 100 posts. Go for it, the minute you(they) try, your(their) post count will be deleted and you(they) will be banned from the classifieds.

Sounds like spamming worked afterall huh?

I can understand if you dont like it, this is a rule that gets many folks ryled up. Why exactly Im not to sure really. Just take your time and make some worthwhile posts and you will get in there. Same as anyone else.

I personally dont see why so many folks have troubles with it when forums try to protect the forums other members. If theres an issue with that, maybe the folks with the problem shouldnt be doing trading/dealing online in the first place.

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 05:10 AM
Sounds like if you read between the lines you are basically accusing me of being dishonest.

I dont care either way, say what you want. Sorry if my meaningless dishonest opinion illicits sarcasm from you. In fact, this is just one of a number of times you have been sarcastic with me and have taken semi-obnoxious tones. I think the system mods need to take a closer look at ALL your interactions with me. Its unwarranted and needlessly nasty at times. Your avatar SUITS you WELL. You NEED a lesson in diplomacy my freind.

I dont have to like it nor do I have to agree with it. yes you have rules, you can delete counts, you can ban, you can do all the things the other lame forums do and end with the same results.

Its been done, it causes posts count hounds, it promotes garbage posts,

it will be the same. This forum will be the same.

This forum IS the same. And its my OPINION and I have the RIGHT to that, regardless of what you say.

Its funny that I started this thread discussing this very topic BEFORE this even happened....

IFMU
06-19-2003, 05:31 AM
Your right, it is your opinion and you can and will post that up without edit.
As for me aiming at you as to being dishonest, no, that was the farthest from the way it was intended. I thought I covered that rather well on preventing it to seem that way, guess not. I will apologize to you for it seeming I was aiming at you for that, that was not what I was trying to do. I was tryin to state the reason for the rules.
For the rest of your comments Im just going to leave it, feel how you want man, I do apologize if it seemed I was pointing you out. I was not trying to do so.

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 05:43 AM
Just FYI... I use the same name in other forums AND as my Ebay ID (Johnny6722).

Take a look in Ebay, I have over 100 transactions with a 100% POSITIVE feedback rating! 100%, over 100 transactions... raed some of the comments left by others about me. There is NO better source for what type of person I am.

That speaks for itself as to my integrity, and I will NOT have it questioned.

Maybe now you understand why I took offense.

You have 1821 posts, does that mean someone should buy something from you before me? Does that make you perfect and honest and trustworthy? No...

Those things are earned. How many times you post in some froum doesnt earn you anything but a little number to the left under your name.

IFMU
06-19-2003, 05:55 AM
I use this name as well online, everywhere actually. I have no where near that many online sales, so does that make me less worthy to deal with?
I am far from questioning your integrity. I dont know you and I will not pre-judge someone on just a couple of posts we have had interaction with.
Sorry, I dont see why you took offense, I was far from attacking you or claiming you were less than an honorable guy.

You're right, the number of posts has absolutely nothing to do with how trustworthy/respectful a person is, far from it.

The reason we've decided to use this rule is due to it will give everyone a little time to get to know you anyone not just you. With some minor time to see how the person posts and how they interact with others. Its far from a real full test to really check into someone, but its a start.
The next thing is most true trolls will either bit$h and complain about the rules but will not post good posts to match to actually follow the rules. They will not want to invest the time into a forums to reach that 100 posts to get into the classifieds. For most trolls its a bit more work then they are interested in putting into ripping someone off online.

DISCLAIMER: None of this relates to anyone within this thread or forums. It is made as a generic base on trolls and their kind.

Attitudx
06-19-2003, 06:03 AM
Actually I like the rule of having to have a 100 post counts to view the classifieds. I was a spammer I can admit, i have few very few transactions online, most are done locally. I noticed that in the chat area and a few other places post dont count towards your count. My count dont matter i have left some good info and picked up a hella lot of info damn good info that has saved my butt and board a few times. I visit several other forums and none compare to here. Keep up the good work guys I was even banned after making one post at a certain forum and it wasnt derogitory or anything. I think there was someone that come from that forum watching what was said and banned me I will mention no forum [H] Names. Anyways Xtreme people keep it up and hey if the post count dont count post way. I am visting the overclocking thread cuz i need help as always here and that is my 20 pennies worth

Teus
06-19-2003, 06:07 AM
why don't you change the acces system

let's say only people with acces to the bargains can visit it.
to get acces, either
1. be know here for a while. that are all Xtreme members
2. PM / mail a mod to gain acces to the bargains. for that you'll need references to other forums, Ebay and perhaps even an Xtreme member that knows you, that states your 'okay' and not a troll

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Attitudx
Actually I like the rule of having to have a 100 post counts to view the classifieds. I was a spammer I can admit, i have few very few transactions online, most are done locally. I noticed that in the chat area and a few other places post dont count towards your count. My count dont matter i have left some good info and picked up a hella lot of info damn good info that has saved my butt and board a few times. I visit several other forums and none compare to here. Keep up the good work guys I was even banned after making one post at a certain forum and it wasnt derogitory or anything. I think there was someone that come from that forum watching what was said and banned me I will mention no forum [H] Names. Anyways Xtreme people keep it up and hey if the post count dont count post way. I am visting the overclocking thread cuz i need help as always here and that is my 20 pennies worth

Hi, my name is Attitudx, and I was a spammer!

AA for spammers... Now thats the first humorous thing I have seen in the thread.

antipop
06-19-2003, 07:14 AM
My name is Antipop and i love my postcount.
I'm a serial spammer, i tried to stop but i can't
Please i need :help:

Now being serious, i find Teus idea is a good one

IFMU
06-19-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by antipop
Now being serious, i find Teus idea is a good one
I think that would be a decent idea, but could create some possible problems.It would be a lil difficult to setup. software wise at least.

As for other problems I can forsee... Imagine say... SilverSinkSam (from OC, the Trollhunter!) decided to join here. He has a beautiful heatware and history right?
Now, imagine he decides to get a few items for free.. joins here and rips off just a couple folks... he was allowed in due to his flawless past.
Now... we try to get some things taken care of, go back to OC and they all claim we are lieing due to his history there..... what now........

See my point? granted slightly unlikely, but Mods have gone bad before.... So it is possible...

DISCLAIMER:SilverSinkSams name is just a based name to use. He has a flawless history and I am nowhere near saying he is/will/has ripped someone off. I think he would be one of the last folks in the world to become such a looser...... No harm meant towards SSS. :D ;)

JBELL
06-19-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by IFMU

DISCLAIMER:SilverSinkSams name is just a based name to use. He has a flawless history and I am nowhere near saying he is/will/has ripped someone off. I think he would be one of the last folks in the world to become such a looser...... No harm meant towards SSS. :D ;)

hey you got .. a little.. yeah a brown thing right there ... on your nose

IFMU
06-19-2003, 07:31 AM
hey you got .. a little.. yeah a brown thing right there ... on your nose
LoL

Bite it cheesehead................................... ;)

TerroH8er
06-19-2003, 08:06 AM
elysburg = home of knoebels :p:

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 08:15 AM
Thats right!

I worked there one summer!

Teus
06-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Now, imagine he decides to get a few items for free.. joins here and rips off just a couple folks... he was allowed in due to his flawless past.
Now... we try to get some things taken care of, go back to OC and they all claim we are lieing due to his history there..... what now........

See my point? granted slightly unlikely, but Mods have gone bad before.... So it is possible...

oh please
I don't think a reputated seller, or even a moderator would risk his reputation by ripping someone off on another forum

In fact, the chance is smaller a guy would ripp off someone. as soon as someone has got 100 posts he can start screwing around on the bairgans forum. with an other system, he would need a well established reputation and referrals

e.g. me: I wouldn't put my reputation at stake at my regular forums (Madshrimps & Spelletjesgarnaal.be, dutch forum)
oh, that makes me think at 'The General' (aka Seller/Cayméra/Fat Cat / multiple other nicks to confuse us), he was one of our regulars. he screwed up REAL hard: he ripped off multiple people

when he sold broken stuff, didn't replace it when it appeared to be broken (he promised that!), NEVER did what he said: he said all the time everything would be okay, he would pay it back, he didn't have time etcetera

what happened?
1. all his posts deleted, banned from the forum
2. all the ppl that met him IRL were truly dissapointed in him: he didn't appear to be such a bad guy at all when they met him. if he shows up at a LAN where all our regulars would be (SG is a small, but close community) he would be lynched

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 08:53 AM
When it comes down to it, this is not Ebay, there is really no recourse. Buying and selling in a forum environment is pretty much "at your own risk" kind of thing.

Its based on honor.

Allow me to give you another scenario that occurred in the recent past:

Corvetteforum - Had a member who was around for a while and had bought and sold items in the 4 sale areas a number of times without incident. Then, out of the blue he apparently sold the same set of wheels/tires to more than one person...months went by, no one heard anything. He was in some kind of bad personal financial trouble and nailed a few people for alot of money. Now we arent talking $60.00 MoBos or $45.00 cpus, we are talking $1,500.00+ for a set of wheels and tires plus shipping.

Point is, anything can happen when you deal in this type of atmosphere. In the case above, no one would have ever expected that, not considering how long he was a member and all.

Its sad but even on ebay bad things happen, and buyers and sellers are registered, theres feedback, arbitration for disputes, etc... and still there is always someone who tries to get over on others.

Unfortunately this is the world we live in.

We can only try and make our little corner of it better.

;)

Attitudx
06-19-2003, 09:35 AM
I totally agree with you johnny as the old adage goes crap happens and usually in loads. Such is life we live in. I love this place and love to reply not to build a post count but i am limited to my conversations online ie no connection at home at the moment so i spend all day here at work. I live like 3 blocks from smizack and dont get out much but to mow and bowl oh and work. SO mine is just idle chat and conversation normally, but as for the rest, i just forgot what i was gonna say

JBELL
06-19-2003, 09:43 AM
.............I live like 3 blocks from smizack and dont get out much but to mow and bowl oh and work. SO mine is just idle chat and conversation normally, but as for the rest, i just forgot what i was gonna say

well we know what's in THAT bowl...

DR. YT
06-19-2003, 09:49 AM
things like that are just the reason that i dont buy\sell on the forums. because i personaly am not willing to take a loss for a mobo or a video card because someone else feels the need to rip me off. it sucks to say but some people dont know how to act and always seem to mess it up for those who do know how to act. as far as this site and the changes made recently... i think that the members should be thankful that the mods and admins are doing this to protect them. the only people that should be upset by this 100post count thing are those its there to stop.

Teus
06-19-2003, 09:51 AM
Is that '100 posts system' going to change or not?

antipop
06-19-2003, 10:09 AM
I live like 3 blocks from smizack and dont get out much but to mow and bowl oh and work. Of course the ghey bar is much better than mow and bowl :D
BTW does smiz has his membership card

JBELL
06-19-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Teus

absolutely not.. it is here to stay.

TheDude
06-19-2003, 10:19 AM

From all indications I have, it is going to remain in place. An Admin should reply to this, but I don't think there are any plans to change it.
At first I was opposed to it the way it stands, but after talking to our resident Troll Hunters, I can understand the need for it as written.

I see JB replied as I was typing....there you have it.

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 10:22 AM

JBell, I have an idea....

I do understand the reason behind your decsion to go with the 100 post minumum and why you felt it was necessary.

After doing some thinking, rather than a 100 post minimum (which can be accelerated by someone who is creative), maybe a time as a member in good standing would be better?

You can't accelerate that, and it gives no incentive to anyone to work on post count to meet the minimum. You simply have to earn the right as a memeber in good standing over a given time frame.

Maybe being a member for X-amount of time earns you the privalege of using the sale section.

Furthermore, since a buyer pays FIRST, why not limit the use of the section to sellers only? You can view and buy at any time, but you can't SELL until you are a member for X-amount of time and have a track record with the forum?

That would hurt me as a seller, since I am very new here, but it makes sense. And since a buyer takes the biggest risk because he pays BEFORE the seller ships, why limit when someone can view and buy? Limit when you can sell, thats the trouble spot. A buyer takes the risk, he sends the money out. the seller is the only one who can be dishonest.

Just an idea to kick around.

:)

Attitudx
06-19-2003, 10:23 AM
Of course the ghey bar is much better than mow and bowl

Yeah i guess LOL and umm I think the answer to about smiz would be umm NO hehe

JBELL
06-19-2003, 10:42 AM

I do understand the reason behind your decsion to go with the 100 post minumum and why you felt it was necessary.

After doing some thinking, rather than a 100 post minimum (which can be accelerated by someone who is creative), maybe a time as a member in good standing would be better?

You can't accelerate that, and it gives no incentive to anyone to work on post count to meet the minimum. You simply have to earn the right as a memeber in good standing over a given time frame.

Maybe being a member for X-amount of time earns you the privalege of using the sale section.

Furthermore, since a buyer pays FIRST, why not limit the use of the section to sellers only? You can view and buy at any time, but you can't SELL until you are a member for X-amount of time and have a track record with the forum?

That would hurt me as a seller, since I am very new here, but it makes sense. And since a buyer takes the biggest risk because he pays BEFORE the seller ships, why limit when someone can view and buy? Limit when you can sell, thats the trouble spot. A buyer takes the risk, he sends the money out. the seller is the only one who can be dishonest.

I am always open to ideas and this shall be discussed. no promises

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Just a possible helpful idea, thats all. You are the ultimate decision maker. I was just trying to put forth a reasonable idea for you to consider.

Thanks...

:D

TerroH8er
06-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Good idea johnny, but IMHO there's still a flaw in that. A troll could just sign up for a bunch of forums then play with his cash and do absolutely nothing on the forums until he meets the time requirements, then go into the buy/sell forum and start selling his stuff. I think that people who buy in the buy/sell forum should do some detective work themselves. If I were going to buy something from a member who only has like 50 posts, then I would check their previous posts and stuff and if they display any intelligence, then I'd buy from them. However if it was a bunch of smilies then I'd be a lot more cautious.

I think a more effective way is to be almost "invited" in. Once someone reaches 100 posts, they would be "considered". I was at another forum for a long time and they had a forum where members could post a note in and ask if they could be considered, and if then they would have a board of admins and whatnot who would look at their posts and decide on whether or not they should be allowed in. This might be a bit dramatic and maybe takes a little too much time for admins, but it could be something to consider.

btw - the phoenix = the best ride at knoebels

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 11:48 AM
What do you think about not limiting a BUYER? The buyer takes the risks, right?

Unless you are a very creative crook, its tough to screw a seller!

Phoenix is even better in the rain (brakes dont slow it down!)...

Silversink
06-19-2003, 02:19 PM

It's not happening like that is the bottom line. Whats to stop a troll from registering and waiting XXX amount of time then Trolling at that time. The post count is the ONLY method tried and true that is a deterent.

I read your other thread:

This is just another thing that makes this forum the same as all the other LAME forums with all the spam trolls.

With all do respect you don't have clue one what your talking about.

I say this because I'm a Mod at Overclockers.com as you know as well as here. I'll tell you for a fact that 99% of spam trolls that try to spam to 100 get locked out of the classifieds both there and I guarantee you will happen here as well the moment they start spamming to 100.

I also know that other forums that have a Post count to access the Classifieds have a low rate of Trolls. Now to drive the nail into your arguement factor is Item, or Seller verification as well as Post Count to get in, well it makes this Place safe or safer than it already is.

I think that would be a decent idea, but could create some possible problems.It would be a lil difficult to setup. software wise at least.

As for other problems I can forsee... Imagine say... SilverSinkSam (from OC, the Trollhunter!) decided to join here. He has a beautiful heatware and history right?

Your right DrChoatica the Mod from [H] Turned out to be a troll so your point has merit.

Johnny Knoxvill
06-19-2003, 03:00 PM
100 post counts is important imho, i've seen other forums where there are many trolls because they don't implement this and for other reasons for example letting people edit posts in the classifieds.
Just out of interest has any troll ever managed to rip someone of in this forum?

TheDude
06-19-2003, 03:13 PM
If it has happened I don't know about it. We are very lucky to have the 2 best Troll Hunter/Killers on the net.;)
The new rule just helps them do their jobs.

Johnny Knoxvill
06-19-2003, 03:16 PM
I've always imagined troll hunters are like bounty hunters, if they find a troll they go and kidnapp him, beat the crap out of him and throw him in jail :banana:

TheDude
06-19-2003, 03:18 PM
Trust me, you don't want these guys on your trail. I'm not joking.;)

Marine_1
06-19-2003, 03:20 PM
try spamming and see what happens

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Silversink
It's not happening like that is the bottom line.

With all do respect you don't have clue one what your talking about.

All I did was put out an IDEA thats all. And I get "you don't have clue one what your talking about"???

An idea brought forward does not deserve a sarcastic response like that. It was a suggestion for JBell to look at.

With all due respect I don't give a rats @$$ what you think about my idea.

JBELL
06-19-2003, 03:28 PM
All I did was put out an IDEA thats all. And I get "you don't have clue one what your talking about"???

An idea brought forward does not deserve a sarcastic response like that. It was a suggestion for JBell to look at.

I do you a favor and sttill attack my staff.. start giving a rats @$$ with what I think and do.

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 03:28 PM
I was attacked!!! I offer an idea and get INSULTED!

Now its wrong to offer a suggestion? I offer it to you and someone else that I dont know insults me for it.

Why not just say thanks but no thanks... Diplomacy never eneters into the equation, just step on people instead!

I didnt deserve that JBell, and you know it!

Silversink
06-19-2003, 03:29 PM

You'll give a rats ass when you find yourself locked out of the classifieds. Keep it up and this is what will happen.

And hitting the report a Thread is reserved for real problems, Please use that link more responsibly.

JBELL
06-19-2003, 03:30 PM
I was attacked!!! I offer an idea and get INSULTED!

no you were not... I told you this discussion is over. you talk back to your parents growing up to?? respect authority and you will get respect.

johnny6722
06-19-2003, 03:33 PM
no you were not... I told you this discussion is over. you talk back to your parents growing up to?? respect authority and you will get respect.

The last you said on this suggestion was

"I am always open to ideas and this shall be discussed. no promises"

Then I get told I dont have a clue by someone else....

All I did was offer a suggestion, thats all.

What is wrong with that?

Someone please tell me what I did wrong by making a suggestion?

JBELL
06-19-2003, 03:35 PM
The last you said on this suggestion was that you would consider it. Then I get told I dont have a clue by someone else....

All I did was offer a suggestion, thats all.

What is wrong with that?

Someone please tell me what I did wrong by making a suggestion?

Silversink has been doing this for years... what he says goes, he is resident expert and yes I heard your suggestion but there are just too many holes, your comment of giving a rats @$$ or lack of... is drawing a line. further discussion shall not be permitted publicly.

slayher
06-21-2003, 08:26 PM
I am all about people not getting ripped off. I definatley dont want it to happen to me. The only problem i have is that i lurk here all the time and dont post very much. I learn alot from just reading other peoples posts. and now i cant buy anything, cause i dont have 100 posts even though i have been a member for a while and have done trading here and at other places with out problems. I like johnnys idea about letting anyone buy, but only certain people sell, although i dont know how you would achieve that. so there is second on that idea if possible... I mean where better to get bad a$$ overclocking gear than a place like this....

My $.02
slayher
I like

felix88
06-22-2003, 12:04 AM
well, first off i feel very safe buying or selling items on here because of Silversink and LutaWicasa. they know what they are doing and they keep they place clean.

second, i don't see why anyone is making such a big deal about this. if you want to sell items, you do it in a high traffic forum, and this isn't one. it's not such a bad thing since you actually start to know a lot of the members.

Major
06-22-2003, 12:15 AM
I personally am very cautious about buying stuff from individuals (and some buisness too) online. I feel that the measures that the moderators have taken here are sound, and will help prevent this forum community from being overrun with trolls and people looking to make a quick buck at someone elses expense. It is particually important for people that are new to OCing and new to this forum that such measures be in place for their own protection. my .02c

antipop
06-22-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by felix88
second, i don't see why anyone is making such a big deal about this. if you want to sell items, you do it in a high traffic forum, and this isn't one. it's not such a bad thing since you actually start to know a lot of the members. The traffic is starting to increase, at least that's what i feel. I see more and more people with low post count (meaning they're newly registered).
Jbell, isn't there a way that you can restrict the creation of new thread but you can allow to reply? I've already seen than in other forums

felix88
06-22-2003, 07:21 AM
true, but compared to sites like [H], anandtech and arstechnica, we don't really have very high traffic.

i almost prefer it the way it is, but the forum is going to grow and hopefully it keeps attracting the same people that make this place great.

antipop
06-22-2003, 07:28 AM
We have to show the example and so we'll keep the forum the way as it is meaning a great place to hang and to learn

CCW
06-22-2003, 10:20 AM
if XS attracts the same people do I have to sign up again? ;) seriously, i love XS how it is, the mod's / admins are great, they do an awesome job, also, id like to thank JBELL for the hard work he puts into the site (especially the good job he does of posting a lot to make sure the servers up to it) and FUGGER for running the server and gooch. Thanks guys!

Craig

JBELL
06-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by antipop
The traffic is starting to increase, at least that's what i feel. I see more and more people with low post count (meaning they're newly registered).
Jbell, isn't there a way that you can restrict the creation of new thread but you can allow to reply? I've already seen than in other forums

www.alexa.com we have more traffic than you think.

texuspete00
07-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Uhm, explain the link please. I dont get it. Point? I thought it was going to show traffic stats or something.

TheDogFather
07-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Im a newcommer and like the forum just the way it is. A lot of knowledge from nice people. Theres non of the childishness you find on other forums. The 100 post rule is a little annoying but probobally for the best, like many things in life, you just have to be patient.

One thing that bugs me though, what is a troll ?

IFMU
07-12-2003, 05:18 PM
A troll is basiclly someone who attempts, and sometimes succeds, in ripping people off. Trolls take advantage of the good people online.

JBELL
07-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by texuspete2k2
Uhm, explain the link please. I dont get it. Point? I thought it was going to show traffic stats or something.

The link is how hardware vendors and manufactureers rank forum sites and others to see how ''busy'' they are - the lower the number the more traffic that site gets.