PDA

View Full Version : Strap changes on Commando for an E4300

GGuyZ
04-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi guys.

I'm working on a very nice and cool E4300 chip I have here with a Commando board. Reaching FSB 403x9 was a breeze, and temperatures are great, so no problem there. I'm fully stable at this speed(3630MHz), and can be pretty stable on 3700(bus 411) if using clockgen. Anything above that significally loses stability, and the pc hangs.

This is obviously an FSB wall I'm seeing. I've heard that the commando is supposed to switch to 1333 strap at 401FSB, but it seems to still use the 1066 strap according to SysTool.

Any ideas on this? when can I move to 1333 strap? I believe this will let me go further on this chip, because obviously it can go a long long way.

EDIT: I've just given 1.95V to the NB. I'm not using special cooling so it really seems like too much, but to be honest the heatsink is nothing more than warm to touch. if the mounting was incorrect it would've been cold, but it's warm, not burning hot, which is really fine.

In any case, this has given me an extra 15FSB or so, so I really believe loosening the timings to the chipset(strap 1333) would help a lot. any ideas why it's not using that strap on bus 403?

What I don't get is why the chipset is having a hard time of holding 400MHz NBCC. Doesn't sound like too much to me even with a 1066 strap.