PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling a QuadGT

Burn
04-01-2007, 06:36 PM
With the QuadGT's heatpipe design, it is difficult to watercool the northbridge and deal with the digital PWM chips together. I am trying to find out if someone has released a block for the PWM chips, I can pick up a MCW30 from Swiftech, but the PWM chips need to be cooled. They get very hot (60+ C under load) and I believe it warrants watercooling at this point in time.

Any ideas?

Okda
04-01-2007, 06:55 PM
my tip

don't cool the NB and just cool ur cpu

if u really need to do so then buy some vga ram sinks like the swiftechs and stick them to ur pwm and just use a silent 80mm fan on them or something

Burn
04-01-2007, 06:57 PM
my tip

don't cool the NB and just cool ur cpu

if u really need to do so then buy some vga ram sinks like the swiftechs and stick them to ur pwm and just use a silent 80mm fan on them or something

You don't understand, with a fan blowing over the northbridge and some airflow reaching the PWM sinks, it still hits 60C. Simple RAMsinks won't do the job with such a high heat load.

Okda
04-01-2007, 07:01 PM
i am not sure that u can trust the heat pipe Abit used to cool down ur pwm or the hardware used to report ur pwm temps

i think ramsinks is enough specially since the pwm are designed to work @ 125C temps

but anyway there is no block for the pwms available,

u can check the thermalright mosfet cooler

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138233

Burn
04-01-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't trust the heatpipe that abit used. That's what I'm trying to eliminate. I also give the temperature diode +/- 5C, which is still too hot for my liking on the PWM.

Okda
04-01-2007, 07:04 PM
read my edit above ;)

Burn
04-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Ooh, I like!

Need a compatibility list now :\

serialk11r
04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Burn,
the heatpipes and heatsinks that come with mobos can have very bad contact with the transistors they are supposed to cool, and they probably use some crappy thermal pad.
Have you tried removing the heatsink, getting the thermal pad off, and redoing things with a different TIM?

Burn
04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
I would reseat everything in a heartbeat with the exception that I have a TEC-cooled setup, and removing the motherboard is a small feat in and of itself.

In all honesty, I would only ever remove the motherboard to replace a heatsink or reapply TIM, it is that tedious of a task to do :\

Okda
04-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Have you tried removing the heatsink, getting the thermal pad off, and redoing things with a different TIM?

best solution ever IMHO