PDA

View Full Version : OCZ GamerXStream 700W PSU too loud!

K33B4
04-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I can't figure out why my psu is running with such a high whining sound. The fan is the loudest on my pc and i can't find ways to lower it's rpm, i've tried speedfan and many other programs. my system specs in are in sig! IF anybody could recommend a fix please advice.

RyderOCZ
04-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Hello,

What type of sound do you hear? Have you stopped the fan for a moment to see if the sound goes away?

Is this moving a lot of air out the back of the PSU?

mit78
04-03-2007, 01:38 AM
i have same psu,its loud,i stoped for a second,and noise its stopping.i try in a few days to change the fan.

andyOCZ
04-03-2007, 12:18 PM
i have same psu,its loud,i stoped for a second,and noise its stopping.i try in a few days to change the fan.

Hello, changing the fan will void your warranty. If you have a fan problem, we can set you up with an RMA.

Kobalt
04-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't think an RMA is going to fix it...its just set to run at very high rpms when the system is at load (which means noise). For instance, if I play UT2K4, after around 20 minutes the fan is whiney, but it quiets down after 5 minutes of idling. I think an 80mm fan on the rear of the PSU should be added so that the 120mm fan can slow down during load. Otherwise, I really like the PSU...its very professional. The paint job and matching screws is nice, the honeycomb grills lessen air turbulence, and the sleeving is a plus as well.

K33B4
04-03-2007, 01:33 PM
WEll i was wondering if OCZ can set it up with a silent fan. My psu spools up under load and sounds like a vantec Tornado fan spinning at full tilt.

andyOCZ
04-03-2007, 04:49 PM
WEll i was wondering if OCZ can set it up with a silent fan. My psu spools up under load and sounds like a vantec Tornado fan spinning at full tilt.

I don't think an RMA is going to fix it...its just set to run at very high rpms when the system is at load (which means noise). For instance, if I play UT2K4, after around 20 minutes the fan is whiney, but it quiets down after 5 minutes of idling. I think an 80mm fan on the rear of the PSU should be added so that the 120mm fan can slow down during load. Otherwise, I really like the PSU...its very professional. The paint job and matching screws is nice, the honeycomb grills lessen air turbulence, and the sleeving is a plus as well.

Both of you please send me an email. We get very few complaints about these PSU's and most users say they are quiet. An RMA should fix the issue.

Thanks

RyderOCZ
04-03-2007, 06:57 PM
It will depend on how much load you have...the fan is load controlled.

If you are pulling 600W out of the unit during a bench....then yea...the fan is going to spin fast to keep the unit cool.

At idle it should be near silent...providing your PC doesn't pull 400W at Idle ;)

Kobalt
04-03-2007, 08:00 PM
With a 6600gt and single core opteron it gets pretty loud during gaming. It doesn't bother me that much to be without a computer for over a week for RMA however.

I don't think this just a random issue though...I've heard its loud from several other people.

are there any special things to pay extra attention to?

This PSU is an OCZ GXS 600W

the fan is loud, and I need to put in a yate or something.

I know the warranty is going bye bye, so thanks for helping!

I'm glad to hear that about the OCZ 700w. I just wish the fan wasn't so loud at load. :(

2 cases fan and one in the T120 all controlled by the motherboard (XBX2)
It's REALLY silent from a cold boot (unfortunately, after a few mins, the OCZ 700W fans become noisy :( )

Looks like I need a quiet psu

check first with OCZ they might RMA your unit if its to loud, i see alot of ppl are getting their RMAed over at bleedingedge cause the fans are to loud.

I just want to reiterate that overall this PSU is great...it just has one tiny flaw that hopefully can get fixed in future versions?

RyderOCZ
04-03-2007, 09:43 PM
The RMA rate on GXS PSU's is under 2% for all problems combined...so I will say that being loud is not a widespread problem.

10 posts on a forum over how many months? Certainly doesn't quantify that its a widespread problem either.

mit78
04-03-2007, 10:55 PM
1 year ai have antec neo he 500w,amount of 2 months buyt this psu ocz gamextream 700w,its not very loud but ,little bit noiser than antec neo he 500w,in my case all is ultra quiet,i have fans akasa ultra quiet,even a chipset cooler of evga 680i is noiser,i reduce rpm at lower.
If i want to change rpm of psu,its possible?thx

andyOCZ
04-04-2007, 10:29 AM
The fan speeds are electronically controlled and are not adjustable. The fan speeds are regulated to control PSU temepratures for efficiency and safety.

Maviryk
04-04-2007, 10:42 AM
I believe mine is loud all the time because:

1. I'm running a 18w pump
2. Pair of Raptor HDs
3. 8800GTS + OC'ed Xeon 3040

Really I don't know if it is suppose to be as loud as it is, since I switched from a PC P&C 510 Turbocool DLX.

Maybe I should have waited before extending the length of my CPU power connectors and voiding the warranty(wouldn't reach the connector on my mobo). :-(

K33B4
04-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Well i'm running 2 8800 GTS's OC'ed in SLI config, E6600 OC'ed and three sata drives in raid so i guess i'm pulling bit of a load on the cards.

mit78
04-04-2007, 11:39 PM
not change the fan,i understand with waranty,its strange ,in official site write very quiet.

ooeric
04-05-2007, 05:35 PM
the psu fan does have a distinct whirring noise and a whine.

too bad. i sold mine months ago cause i couldnt stand it.

it was loudier then the powerstream 600 , i had before it.

johnsally
04-15-2007, 06:17 PM
my 600 is very loud also. i doubt rma will fix it.

andyOCZ
04-15-2007, 07:07 PM
You have now entered the Twilight Zone:

Something is strange. I have a 3 month old 700 GameXStream and a new 600w model and both are as quiet as any PSU I have ever used. At idle or under load I wouldn't say they were loud at all.

Kobalt
04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
This is gaming load right (when video cards are drawing max power)? Because when I'm just running WCG there's no noise, but once I've been gaming for 30min it starts getting loud.

andyOCZ
04-15-2007, 09:51 PM
The more power you draw, the louder it will get to keep itself cool. There's just no way around that. The design allows a nice quiet idle, but once you heat it up that heat has to be removed to maintain efficiency. We could just ignore the heat, but perfromance and wattage would suffer.

Spacehead
03-16-2008, 02:00 PM
My unit also keeps high pitched whining sound at idle. Maybe there is a problem with the fan.

SteveSuk
04-07-2008, 01:19 AM
mines not too bad, i dont think. i useto think it was but then reliased it was something else. mayb i have a resonable one

2XTURBO
05-03-2008, 12:36 PM
my 700w is as loud as my microwave. Over at OCZ forums they asked me to put a paper clip in the connector and turn it on, haven't done that yet and don't really want to. How long does the RMA process take? as I can't be without my PC for any considerable length of time.