PDA

View Full Version : OC'ing a E6700 - FSB x Multi formula doesn't add up

TheAntipop
03-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Overclocking n00b here. I'm doing some experimenting with my E6700 Conroe and Asus P5B Deluxe mobo. I read up on some of the basic formulas that are rather important to know for OC'ing. Unfortunately, in practice the numbers are not adding up for me and I'm becoming rather confused.

My FSB speed is 266 MHz (the "CPU Frequency" setting) and my CPU is running at 2.66 GHz. In my BIOS, under advanced CPU settings, it says "Ratio Status: Unlocked (Max:10, Min:06)". This means the default multiplier is 10, and that makes sense (10 * 266 = 2.66 GHz).

However, I tried changing the FSB speed to 300, keeping the multiplier at 10, and when I rebooted and entered the BIOS, the CPU frequency showed 2.68 GHz, and not 3.00, as I would've expected. Also tried setting the multiplier to 8 and the FSB to 380 and the BIOS showed a CPU speed of 2.14 GHz on the reboot (not 3.04 as I would've expected). This doesn't jibe with the formula, and I'm not sure why.

I should point out something else. Aside from the FSB/Multiplier settings, I also changed some voltage settings and adjusted the RAM latencies manually based on suggestions from a P5B OC tutorial.

During these tests, each time I made a change to the BIOS and reboot I got a blank screen and my mobo beeped at me 4 times (1 long followed by 3 short). The only way to get back to the BIOS was to flip the switch on my power supply and then turn it back on. If I let it boot long enough eventually I got the "Overclocking has failed!" message as well.

I'm assuming this has to do with the voltage settings, but I'll have to do some more testing. Anyway, my main question is... does anyone know why the formula is not computing for me? It's rather discouraging, not to mention the beeping and error message. Any advice would be appreciated.

TheAntipop

ZoLKoRn
03-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Look at here, Good Luck :) >>> http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115217

brickout
03-29-2007, 06:29 PM
FYI, the extreme overclocking subforum is for reporting EXTREME OVERCLOCKS!!

You'll have more luck asking for help in the Intel subforum...Good luck!