PDA

View Full Version : Potw

Magnj
03-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Picture of the week for [Sunday April 1 2007 - Saturday April 7 2007]
I know this forum is just getting started but maybe this will attract some more people. I'm not sure how or who will judge...any input on that? Maybe anyone who posts a picture can vote for any other picture? And only one submission per person per week.:fact:

lowfat
03-29-2007, 04:42 PM
I am down, although I have a craptastic camera :)

thunderstruck!
03-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I think it's a good idea but the Picture of the Week needs to have a theme or an subject consistent in all the images. Also, there should be a limit on how much PP can be done in each contest, since not all of us can shoot RAW.

Magnj
03-29-2007, 05:33 PM
hmm ok. How about we use this thread as a test thread. Lets generate some ideas about themes...maybe we can create a pool and randomly select every week. Or we could do it as more of a challenge-of-the week. Where the pic must be from the week in question so that those of us with Gigs of photo's can't get lazy.

I'm fine with the limited PP thing but you can do more or less anything you want to a Jpeg that you can do with RAW. I mean you can correct one stop on a jpeg just as easy as raw. In raw you can correct WB and a few more stops but you can't save every picture ya know.
What are your thoughts...what should be the limitations?

Vapor
03-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Hmmm....post processing in any amount should be allowed as long as it doesn't change the image, just cleans it. Multiple exposure HDR processing would count as 'changing.' Fact is with digital photography, a significant part of the photographic process is post processing.

thunderstruck!
03-30-2007, 02:09 AM
That's pretty much what I meant to say. Standard PP is ok, but let's not go overboard.

Vapor
03-30-2007, 03:08 AM
That's pretty much what I meant to say. Standard PP is ok, but let's not go overboard.Cool :cool:

Also with RAWs...yeah, you may be able to pull more steps of dynamic range at both ends of the spectrum (where digital sensors are weak :(), but there's no guarantee of color accuracy....in fact it's usually noticably off when you try to pull much out.

Soulburner
03-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Right, post processing to finish the picture (color/contrast/sharpness etc) are a part of the workflow.

Adding filters isn't. It will be pretty obvious to tell how far a picture has been modified.

Vapor
03-31-2007, 01:46 AM
What about noise reduction? I turn it off in camera for JPEG (and recommend this to others) because in-camera noise reduction sucks. And RAWs have no NR applied either.

But yeah, I agree that adding filters is a no-no.

Actually, idea for how to phrase it: Anything that can't be done in-camera. Most cameras these days have saturation/sharpness/contrast/color/NR/crop/resize....just software is A LOT easier to use and insanely more flexible and powerful.

TadehI
03-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Is there any way of reformating the images in my brain to jpeg? :rolleyes:

I am down, although I have a craptastic camera

At least you have one.

Soulburner
03-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Yeah I am not a fan of in-camera noise reduction either. I just keep my ISO as low as I can and work on the pictures on the computer.

Magnj
03-31-2007, 11:06 AM
I never use noise reduction anyway...