PDA

View Full Version : OCZ PC2 8500 SLI-READY memory or mobo?

iNF3rN0
03-29-2007, 02:52 PM
I just got my AMD quad core system which consists of the following parts:

-Two AMDFX-70 cpus
-Two 2GB dual channel kits of OCZ PC2 8500 SLI-READY memory
-OCZ ProXtream 1kw PSU
-EVGA 8800GTX KO ACS3 Edition
-Asus L1N64-SLI WS with newest bios update

my problem is this, when i hooked everything, it ran fine. when i installed winxp, i had some issues, and then turned off the system and went to sleep cause the afnws are way to lowd on the cpus. Then the next day i turned it on and nothing... the fans spun really slow on CPU and no signal to monitor or noting. i tried diff vid card, tried basic post without hdd or dvdwriter, nothing. then i pulled out one stick out of the four, and it runs fine. scept then i cant run dual channel and im short 1gb.

Does anyone know if there are any compatibility isuuses with OCZ and ASUS?

andyOCZ
03-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Hello, we have not used this board, but I know of no issues. When running 4 sticks of memory you may have to set "2t" timings in the RAM settings. I'm not sure how this board uses the 2 banks of memory, so that may not apply.

Another thing is that you need to run 2.1v for the memory. Did you set 2.1v? Will the board run 2.1v?

iNF3rN0
03-31-2007, 12:48 AM
2t timings where already set, voltage was on "auto" so i changed it to 2.1v (max of 2.5v with this mobo) I tried the one stick of ram in another slot and it works so its deffinatly not the ram stick itself... im think either some sorta incompatibility between the the asus mobo and ocz ram, or the slot is dead...

Its just mind boggling how I can have my system booting properly, and then next time i turn it on, it wont work unless the one dimm slot is empty. oh well.

im xtremely open to suggestions.

tommyshango
03-31-2007, 09:33 AM
read my post below yours .. its the same exact issue as far as I can tell! dif mobo dif ram same problem

RyderOCZ
03-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Inf3rno,

Are you running stock or overclocked?

What OS?

iNF3rN0
03-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Im running stock at the moment. Im running winxp sp2 32bit, but im gonna switch to vist 32bit like asap.... but just to clear this up, the OS has absolutly no impact on my problem. when all dimms 1-4 are filled, then when i power it up, the board wont post. no signal to monitor or anything. tried clearing cmos nothing. then i figured out that if no ram is in dimm 4 then it will boot. but then my system cant run dualchannel. each cpu has 2 dimms for dual channel and if one isnt running dual channel then neither of them are. I just found it wierd how it worked the first time i booted up, until i got the OS installed. then i turned it off. and then when I turned it back on the next day it wouldnt post unless there i less one stick. oh well.

iNF3rN0
03-31-2007, 10:39 PM
well i fixed my problems. and sadly, it was the memory. Although the memory does work, apparently any brand works better than OCZ on Asus brand boards. Very strange but w/e. I brought it to the shop I bought all my stuff at, and we tried a Adata memory and it now will boot with all dimm slots full. one of the owners of the shop also had this problem with OCZ memory in an Asus board, and it seems OCZ and ASUS just wherent meant to be. Oh well. better luck next time lol

I was also having stability issues in winxp 32bit with the three dimm slots filled, it would randomly BSOD but now I got no such problems. in fact i got my cpus from 2.6 to 3.15ghz stable in windows with not BSOD. just runs hot. but it runs none the less.