PDA

View Full Version : DD-8800GTX Polycarbonate Tops Recalled.

Hu1kamania
03-28-2007, 02:25 PM
I didn't go out of my way to see if this has been posted yet but I received an email from DangerDen on March 23rd explaining:

"We are preparing to ship you Delrin Replacement versions of your 8800 GTX Blocks as ordered on invoice xxxxxx.

A very small percentage of 8800 series Polycarbonate top have developed micro cracks in the top that have led to small drips. Danger Den wants to proactively prevent anyone from having this issue until we find the reason and solution.

The new blocks will ship out early next week along with a return label for use in returning the Poly topped blocks. Upon receipt of the returned blocks, a discount coupon good for 20% off a future purchase at www.DangerDen.com will be issued.

Please email us if you have any questions...or I can give you a call at a number of your convenience."

I received my replacement blocks today. I haven't checked thoroughly to see if a leak is present, but from what I could see there doesn't appear to be one. All will be revealed when I pull the blocks to send them back. The new blocks have a better feeling of quality to me. The delrin looks sharper and there were no burr's present (unlike the polycarbonate ones I received earlier).

I say good on DD for rectifying the situation in a very timely manner. The only beef I have is they should have found the problem before releasing the new tops. That and now I gotta bleed and dismantle the system so I can replace the blocks. :slapass:

Pete
03-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Least you get 20% off ya next order too, free shipping both way and they contacted you about. If they can stand tall and put there hands up and admit fault...i'm cool with that

It takes some guts to admit fault

Hu1kamania
03-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Yup I totally agree there Pete. I just wanted to get the word out. The 20% off is perfect too because I plan on adding a second loop to cool either my secondary parts or have a loop seperating the cards from the CPU.

Pete
03-28-2007, 02:45 PM
I comend you on getting the word out too. I'm wandering how people that bought the BFG cards with block will get sorted and one bought form DD retialers

goatboy
03-28-2007, 02:45 PM
I can't think of any other businesses that would automatically ship out a product for replacement like DD has. Awesome customer service!

I thought someone there screwed up when I recieved mine in the mail today. I wasn't expecting them. A quick phone call to Justin filled me in.

Planet
03-28-2007, 03:00 PM
I comend you on getting the word out too. I'm wandering how people that bought the BFG cards with block will get sorted and one bought form DD retialers

I am 99% sure that all the BFG cards were sent out with the delrin tops.

I can't think of any other businesses that would automatically ship out a product for replacement like DD has. Awesome customer service!

I thought someone there screwed up when I recieved mine in the mail today. I wasn't expecting them. A quick phone call to Justin filled me in.

eVGA is pretty good as well.

Hu1kamania
03-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Yup, BFG users are safe. They have the delrin tops.

Lurid
03-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Thats a very nice thing for them to do, but i'm a bit raw about the lack of a G80 back plate :p

masaville
03-28-2007, 06:03 PM
How do you know which is Delrin and which isn't?

mion
03-28-2007, 06:09 PM

Not really, that's what you suppose to do when something goes wrong. Cost of possible damaged hardware and bad reputation doesn't even compare to what they are spending on that recall.

goatboy
03-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Not really, that's what you suppose to do when something goes wrong. Cost of possible damaged hardware and bad reputation doesn't even compare to what they are spending on that recall.

True, but they are taking it on faith that people will return the old ones. That's a lot of $$$ to ship out on faith.

sanhacker
03-28-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm thinking there will only be Delrin tops in my future.
Seen way to many pictures of Acrylic tops with hairline cracks.

Glad to see DD is straight up about it!

wdrzal
03-28-2007, 07:41 PM
they should replace the faulty mis designed block at totaly their cost,if they want the old one back pay shipping both ways, then only give a 20% credit when markup is probably 50% or more. They screwed you the first time ,now again as its seems they don't know what the problem is,how do they know the new design will work, then you have to add 80% to the credit given,and I,m sure the new block is priced so 80% is = to or above the cost of original block. so there giving you nothing. in any manner they market this to fix there screw-up and get you to spend more money with them since you will want to use that credit. to me it a scam in black & white print.

jmilcher
03-28-2007, 08:22 PM
I didn't go out of my way to see if this has been posted yet but I received an email from DangerDen on March 23rd explaining:

I received my replacement blocks today. I haven't checked thoroughly to see if a leak is present, but from what I could see there doesn't appear to be one. All will be revealed when I pull the blocks to send them back. The new blocks have a better feeling of quality to me. The delrin looks sharper and there were no burr's present (unlike the polycarbonate ones I received earlier).

I say good on DD for rectifying the situation in a very timely manner. The only beef I have is they should have found the problem before releasing the new tops. That and now I gotta bleed and dismantle the system so I can replace the blocks. :slapass:

You have to give them credit... they are trying to make things right... I have had nothing but good luck with them...

I didn't buy those blocks but....:toast:

theelectic
03-28-2007, 08:28 PM
True, but they are taking it on faith that people will return the old ones. That's a lot of $$$ to ship out on faith.

That's where the futuer 20% off enticement is supposed to come in :)

MaxxxRacer
04-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I wish they would have recalled these too, becuase this is as good as it's goiing to get. I've seen a few much worse than this. I guess I was one of the lucky ones, but this is still poor workmanship, and not worth the price. See if you can retiurn the DD and get a EK instead.

Fine craftmanship on the DD Block as usual, surprised it didn't leak with all the media blasting they did over in the channels, just sloppy craftmanship.

CNC Must of been finely tuned the day they milled this beauty. What a joke. No wonder they don't offer a clear top

You lost me?

Is that last pic with the delrin top having the top portion of it missing?

Kudos to DD for recalling the acrylic tops. While we have all known for a long time that acrylic is a no-no, its nice to see a company willing to replace the cracked acrylic tops. I just wonder why DD even sold them in the first place.

MaxxxRacer
04-01-2007, 10:50 PM
OOO ic..

They did that to reduce the cost on it.. But doesnt the DD 8800 block cost more than the EK one?

In any case, this 8800 block is of noticeably lower quality than DD's previous full cover blocks.