PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft says 20 million copies of Vista sold

StyM
03-26-2007, 06:15 PM
source here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17803382/)

EDMOND, Washington - Microsoft Corp. said Monday it sold 20 million consumer copies of the new Windows Vista operating system worldwide in February, but analysts said the data shed little light on the program’s popularity during its first month on the market.

By comparison, Windows XP, Vista’s predecessor, sold 17 million copies in the two months following its 2001 launch, Microsoft said.

“It’s a stronger than expected start,” Bill Mannion, a director of product marketing for Windows, said in an interview.

But given that the personal computer market has nearly doubled since XP launched, Vista sales “probably should be more,” said Michael Silver, vice president of research at Gartner, a technology research group.

The analyst said 51 million PCs were sold to consumers worldwide in 2002; this year, the research group predicts 96 million consumers will buy a computer.

Starting in late October, PC makers included coupons for free or low-cost Vista upgrades that could be used once the software became available at the end of January. Microsoft’s February sales total includes those promised upgrades, in addition to licenses ordered by PC makers to install on new computers, shrink-wrapped copies sold in retail stores and downloads from the Windows Marketplace Web store.

Silver estimates PC makers sold between 12 million and 15 million PCs with Windows XP Home Edition over the holidays — a significant chunk of the 20 million total, depending on how many included Vista coupons.

While Microsoft wouldn’t say how many Vista upgrades were ordered in that time frame, Dell Inc. spokesman Bob Kaufman said about two-thirds of its holiday PC shoppers registered for the upgrade.

“That would say that those (Vista sales) numbers aren’t all that great if that includes all that backlog,” said Silver.

Shipments of Vista to U.S. retailers in February lagged XP’s first-month shipments by about 56 percent, according to the NPD Group, which tracks retail software sales.

Microsoft declined to break out the number of Vista copies sold at retail, though it has said in the past that 80 percent of Windows revenue comes from sales to PC makers.

The retail channel may not be the most important for Microsoft, but NPD analyst Chris Swenson said the decline is an indicator of consumer behavior overall.

“That’s kind of a big deal,” Swenson said. “Our thesis was, every review of Vista talks about how strenuous the hardware requirements of Vista were. I think customers got the message.”

The analyst also said he thought Microsoft’s advertising strategy, which he said was light on TV commercials, was partly to blame for the drop in retail sales.

“Microsoft should have more TV ads selling Vista than Apple has criticizing Vista,” he said, referring to a popular series of Apple Inc. commercials that, among other things, portray the Vista upgrade as a grave surgical procedure.

Shares of Microsoft rose 20 cents to close at $28.22 on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

Kanten
03-26-2007, 06:35 PM
And at least 10 million angry consumers with driver issues.

Knight
03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
How many illegal copies?

nn_step
03-26-2007, 06:44 PM
well that isn't true, but then again I don't blame microsoft for trying to make Vista look more important

alucasa
03-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Well, I've bought at least 3 copies so far, plus 2 cheap copies with Vista Ultimate offer.

ahmad
03-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Already got 2 here..

LuckyNV
03-26-2007, 11:16 PM
and how many still have it installed? :D

eXceeded
03-27-2007, 12:27 AM
iv bought 4 copies of Vista so far, 2 Ultimate and 2 Home Premium editions, all of the other users are very happy with their OS.

SoF
03-27-2007, 01:31 AM
my boss just bought one for work but I don't know anybody who acutally bought it for home purposes.

Syn.
03-27-2007, 01:34 AM
my boss just bought one for work but I don't know anybody who acutally bought it for home purposes.

me :)

SoF
03-27-2007, 03:06 AM
me :)

ok that makes one :D
anybody else?

Think
03-27-2007, 04:23 AM
I traded mine in for a dentist drill - I figure that both cause the same amount of pain but at least I can keep the drill.:rolleyes:

generics_user
03-27-2007, 04:25 AM
i wanted to use the 30-day trial but it seems that my system is vista incapable (opteron 170 @2.4ghz, 2gb ram @ 240 mhz, 2raptors in raid 0 (i tried to run them without raid but no luck), an x1950 xt so it is not the rigs fault) , i even downloaded every single driver for my rig manually and extracted it from the exes, then put them onto a cd but no chance to install it, so i will stick with XP

for me vista is rushed product with a faulty installation process as it is impossible to force vista making use of XP64 drivers, it does not show which device is missing the drivers needed for installation, and the way it tells their users "this driver is not good i will not install it" (and i don't mean driver signature enforcement, it does not allow me to load Vista Beta drivers for my ULI chipset @installation

for me vista = :nono:

mele
03-27-2007, 04:42 AM
Vista Ultimate Still going strong here too.....

Chewbenator
03-27-2007, 06:17 AM
Still haven't received my so called "Express Upgrade," if it was included in the count I will be angry.

lawrywild
03-27-2007, 07:15 AM
ok that makes one :D
anybody else?

x64 for me

vitaminc
03-27-2007, 07:57 AM
This is XS, so fast adoption of Vista is expected, pirated or not.

I got 1 copy of Vista Ultimate, paid by class action lawsuit against Microsoft. :)

XS Janus
03-27-2007, 08:40 AM
You'll see 5 months from now nobody will whine "why would anybody use vista now" and the person that does is bound to be flamed :D

Nikolasz
03-27-2007, 08:58 AM
I made vista tests
Its better windows....Well for microsoft anyway.

I dont see reasons using vista 4 now but Xp are way better, i need speed.
Maybe i gonna get new vista with new core or updated/bugs fixed.
I spend 24hous on vista yust to reach speed as xp havin.
I cant imagine ppl gettin vista-waht 4 anyway lol

Revv23
03-27-2007, 11:39 AM
the general impression i get is that everyone but XS users love vista.

more bloat is a good thing for average user...

the only average user who doesnt like vista is someone who's PC can't run it well.

xlink
03-27-2007, 01:43 PM
I think this includes upgrade certificates and/or every PC manufactured with a license, that coudl make sense since many OEM PCs are not immediately sold. Chances are around 80% of the copies sold in a quarter are sold during the first two months.

Plywood99
03-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Vista Business here. Great OS so far...

Ply

arisythila
03-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I bought 9 copies of Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.... Currently loaded on 1 computer....

~Mike

Pinnacle
03-27-2007, 06:49 PM
I bought 9 copies of Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.... Currently loaded on 1 computer....

~Mike

Can I have one :woot:

Nikolasz
03-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Can I have one :woot:

No :D