PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading 2ghz iMac to 3ghz???

ineedaname
03-25-2007, 05:28 PM
So my girlfriend is getting an iMac and I was wondering if its possible to stick in another processor into the imac if i wanted to.

Like for instance if she got a 2ghz iMac is it possible for me to stick an X6800 in it or even an E6600.

I really have no clue about mac stuff.

Omastar
03-25-2007, 05:30 PM
What generation iMac are we talking? If it's the 'all in one' monitor/computer, I'm doubting you'll be able to swap processors. That is, if it's an IBM PowerPC processor, I think those are soldered onboard.

thunderstruck!
03-25-2007, 05:34 PM
You girlfriend probably won't need the extra speed, spend the extra on birth control and flowers. :banana:

Omastar
03-25-2007, 05:40 PM
You girlfriend probably won't need the extra speed, spend the extra on birth control and flowers. :banana:

Rofl, sigged.

Mr. Popo
03-25-2007, 05:50 PM
The iMac is basically all mobile hardware, so no.

ineedaname
03-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Its the new 20inch screen imac if that makes any difference.

If that version also uses the mobile processor then could I buy a faster mobile proc and slap it in?

Well I figure she prob doesn't need it but i'm just curious.

Mr. Popo
03-25-2007, 05:58 PM
The best available CPU is the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600, which is the 2.33GHz model (It's an optional upgrade with the 20"er).
Want a more powerful one? wait for the X7800/X7900 CPUs.

Omastar
03-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Er Its the new 20inch screen imac if that makes any difference.

So it's as I assumed. The monitor with integrated computer/DVD slot loader, etc. http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

I'd just leave it be. Cracking that thing open and replacing the Core 2 Duo really isn't worth it. This looks like one of those infamous 'really hard to get into' Apple products, unlike the Apple TV.

Vapor
03-25-2007, 06:26 PM
So it's as I assumed. The monitor with integrated computer/DVD slot loader, etc. http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

I'd just leave it be. Cracking that thing open and replacing the Core 2 Duo really isn't worth it. This looks like one of those infamous 'really hard to get into' Apple products, unlike the Apple TV.There's just three captive screws on the bottom to remove the back panel. From there the HSF is a little more work (5 screws IIRC), but nothing bad at all...

Omastar
03-25-2007, 06:37 PM
There's just three captive screws on the bottom to remove the back panel. From there the HSF is a little more work (5 screws IIRC), but nothing bad at all...

Ah okay. I thought it'd be built like a tank. But the point still stands, the Core 2 Duos used in these new iMacs aren't LGA775 compatible, correct? They're simply updated Core Duos.

Mr. Popo
03-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Ah okay. I thought it'd be built like a tank. But the point still stands, the Core 2 Duos used in these new iMacs aren't LGA775 compatible, correct? They're simply updated Core Duos.
Didn't you read my comment? it's the mobile version of Core 2 Duos.
Core Duo = Socket 479
Core 2 Duo = Socket M

Vapor
03-25-2007, 06:54 PM
There are old Core 2 Duos on Socket 479.....IDK if socket M is just renamed. But yeah, either way you can buy a retail Merom and put it in.

Socket P (or was it L?) is a new mobile socket that is just weird (part BGA IIRC), but I haven't seen it anywhere, so it's probably not an issue.

Mr. Popo
03-25-2007, 08:00 PM
There are old Core 2 Duos on Socket 479.....IDK if socket M is just renamed. But yeah, either way you can buy a retail Merom and put it in.

Socket P (or was it L?) is a new mobile socket that is just weird (part BGA IIRC), but I haven't seen it anywhere, so it's probably not an issue.
I've seen Core 2 Duos on Socket 479 also.
Socket P is Santa Rosa exclusive, so it's not available (yet).

ineedaname
03-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Well I probably won't do it but I'm just wondering if its possible.

It would be interesting to know if you could possibly do that strap mod to it.

What I'm really wondering is if the mobo or bios or wutever (not sure how mac's work) will even accept another proc assuming that they were the same socket. So what I'm wondering is if they're hard locked.

Vapor
03-25-2007, 08:57 PM
If you can remove the CPU, the Mac will definitely accept it.

Surprisingly, the Mac Pro was one of the first systems out there that accepted Clovertowns, even the ESs worked perfectly fine.

Strap change won't happen though....I'm pretty sure it's a locked EFI. And if it isn't, it certainly isn't adjustable...

ineedaname
03-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Darn that means u pretty much have 2 buy the proc if u wanna upgrade.
Would've been cool if u could just mod it to go frm 1066 to 1333.

wwwww
03-29-2007, 09:09 PM
The best available CPU is the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600, which is the 2.33GHz model (It's an optional upgrade with the 20"er).
Want a more powerful one? wait for the X7800/X7900 CPUs.

X7800/X7900 are different socket afaik to SktM.

Didn't you read my comment? it's the mobile version of Core 2 Duos.
Core Duo = Socket 479
Core 2 Duo = Socket M

They are both Socket M, I don't know if it is called Socket 479 as well but it has 479 holes. Point is they are the same socket...:thumbsup:

Well I probably won't do it but I'm just wondering if its possible.

It would be interesting to know if you could possibly do that strap mod to it.

What I'm really wondering is if the mobo or bios or wutever (not sure how mac's work) will even accept another proc assuming that they were the same socket. So what I'm wondering is if they're hard locked.

If it accepts Core 2 Duo (skt M) then it'll work fine with any Core 2 Duo [skt M] (if you can physically change the CPU).

No higher straps than 667 for Skt M, you can strap mod to 533 though... :P
- or you can get a 533 chip and mod to 667, but the best chip you can do that with is the t5200 (and you'd only get 2GHz).

------

First post in the Mac forum...I feel dirty...

Mr. Popo
03-30-2007, 09:10 AM
X7800/X7900 are different socket afaik to SktM.
Yep my mistake, they're using Socket P.

They are both Socket M, I don't know if it is called Socket 479 as well but it has 479 holes. Point is they are the same socket...:thumbsup:
I've seen Core 2 Duo CPUs on a 479 socket, but according to Intel it's not the same socket (479 vs 478).

Thorburn
04-01-2007, 01:36 PM
The Core Duo and all CURRENT Core 2 Duo's are not Socket 479, they are Socket M.
Infact there are 4, soon to be 5, different sockets all with 478 pins, but different key pins.

First you have the socket used for late Pentium 3-M's built on the Tualatin core. I don't know the correct name for this but I do have one in my collection (pictured below is a Mobile Celeron 1.3GHz)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57321&stc=1&d=1175462737

Next you have Socket 478, as used by the Willamette, Northwood and Prescott core Pentium 4's. (Again pictured below from collection, this time a Pentium 4-M 1.6GHz)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57322&stc=1&d=1175462737

Pentium M's with the Bania and Dothan cores use Socket 479. But still only actually physically has 478 pins, the name and is just to differentiate. (Pictured: Dothan 1.7GHz)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57323&stc=1&d=1175462737

Finally you have Socket M as used by Yonah and Merom.
This is actually keyed the same as the Tualatin at the top, but is of course electrically different.
No picture this time as my only example, a Yonah based Celeron-M, is still boxed.
This is the socket used by the MacMini, MacBook (soldered), MacBook Pro, and iMac.

Socket P is not available yet, it will be introduced with the 965 chipset based Santa Rosa Centrino platform and differentiates parts designed to use a 800MHz FSB as opposed to the 533/667 of the Socket M parts.
Once again these chips have 478 pins, but the keying is changed so they will not fit into Socket M.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, don't have my camera with me so was stuck with my phone :)