PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV Part 1: Unboxed and Dissected

Jack
03-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Although the less exciting of Apple's major announcements this year, Apple TV is finally upon us. As the world waits for the iPhone, it's time to look at Apple's latest entry into the convergence market. While we work on our review we thought you all might like to see the innards of the Apple TV.

Source: Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2951&p=1)

http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.makkink/appleTV.JPG

Wow, never realised how small that box is and how much they put into it :)

Mr. Popo
03-23-2007, 05:12 PM
A beautiful piece, a beautiful piece indeed. :toast:
Tell me, can we install Windows or Mac OS on it?

zerotol
03-24-2007, 07:09 AM
i wonder when it will be possible to install xp on it , it even has an 7300 go gfx so you could play some games on it too.If u play like wc3 or counter-strike then you could lan with it :p: :D

lowfat
03-24-2007, 11:56 AM
i wonder when it will be possible to install xp on it , it even has an 7300 go gfx so you could play some games on it too.If u play like wc3 or counter-strike then you could lan with it :p: :D

no optical drive and the usb port isn't used for anything except for service. so i can't see it happening anytime soon.

TTmodder
03-24-2007, 02:26 PM
well it has an ide port for hdd, so maybe i can be hacked for a secondary device, or make some sort of build hdd to usb adapter, so by flicking on a swicth you can choose if the hdd can be accessed by the apptle tv unit or by an computer with an long usb cable between the ghetto solution in the apple tv unit and the comp.

Mr. Popo
03-24-2007, 02:49 PM
no optical drive and the usb port isn't used for anything except for service. so i can't see it happening anytime soon.
Accessing is not a problem, just a little rewiring.

triple_A
03-24-2007, 05:01 PM
thats some pretty powerfull hardware packed inside that tiny box.
lets see if there's some XSmember able to overclock that thing :D

cirthix
03-25-2007, 03:48 AM
that's a very interesting board, especially the tiny dothan! pretty cool, very low power.

Vapor
03-25-2007, 07:20 AM
It's pretty nifty that they're running 'normal' PC parts for something like this IMO.

Most other companys would have proprietary hardware to the hilt that would take awhile to 'learn' and program for. In the end, it woulr probably be inferior anyway....

Apple just used ultra-low power, inexpensive parts that they're very used to developing for :)

alpha0ne
03-25-2007, 07:36 AM
I would just love to mod/overclock one of these babies and 'talking/input' should be easily doable :clap: :banana: :banana: :banana:

3 bananas for a great piece of hardware that I cant wait to get my paws/soldering iron on :fact:

triple_A
03-25-2007, 07:42 AM
I would just love to mod/overclock one of these babies and 'talking/input' should be easily doable :clap: :banana: :banana: :banana:

3 bananas for a great piece of hardware that I cant wait to get my paws/soldering iron on :fact:

hahaha

good luck with that.

zerotol
03-25-2007, 10:25 AM

Nice :banana: the goal to install windows xp and use dvd on it and usb mouse /keyb :p:

ugp
03-25-2007, 11:47 AM
I am sure the USB will be hacked to be used for more than service and all. Apple is probably just limiting it's capabilities. They have to know that it is going to be done. Just a matter of when is all.

cursivearmy1
03-25-2007, 04:58 PM
can you use this baby as an HD-DVR or just for stuff from itunes or off a mac. because if not this thing would be a perfect candidate for a HTPC PVR box.

wa77ss
03-26-2007, 05:08 PM
can you use this baby as an HD-DVR or just for stuff from itunes or off a mac. because if not this thing would be a perfect candidate for a HTPC PVR box.

Thats what I was hoping for too, but I think the answer is no. :(

But still if you think about it, its a very useful little piece of hardware.

All movies/music/pictures streamed to your living room television flawlessly.

Plus you can add XVid support for you BT lovers :fact:

Might as well have put a TV tuner on the thing though eh?

lowfat
03-26-2007, 05:24 PM

it has no video inputs

Vapor
03-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Might as well have put a TV tuner on the thing though eh?Apple TV Pro maybe? :D

wa77ss
03-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Apple TV Pro maybe? :D

What is that? Is that already out?

:confused:

I want one if I can get any kind of Apple TV tuner....

Vapor
03-26-2007, 09:25 PM
No, probably not even in anything more than planning yet (if that)....just a possible name for it. :p:

zerotol
03-27-2007, 05:44 AM
how to replace the hd

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/23/how-to-upgrade-the-drive-in-your-apple-tv

Other ppl have booted linux on it too :banana: , let the moddinggames begin :clap:

Booting from usb has also been succesfull

source tweakers.net (dutch)

Jack
03-27-2007, 06:16 AM
A lot of hacks are made, since it came out :)
This website has some info:

http://www.appletvhacks.net