PDA

View Full Version : Amd 333 ?

Treblig
06-26-2002, 10:35 PM
I am curious as to what the newest AMD north side reference chipset is . I run the AMD 761 north on my board and given the problems that VIA has been having I don't think I could trust them . When looking at the newer AMD boards all I see is VIA kt 333 . Is SIS making a chipset to support 333 ? I think I would even trust them before VIA right now . Any info ? Laterzzzz

JBELL
06-27-2002, 12:46 AM
try nForce

N8
06-27-2002, 03:51 AM
ALi has a 333 chipset...Iwill board I believe.
Hell, I love VIA chipsets :)
I love VIA's 4in1's and their frequent updates :D

Maximus Nickus
06-27-2002, 09:47 AM
The KT266A is the only Via chipset i would recommend.

The Epox 8KHA+ is supremely fast, stable and overclockable. I know a lot of people who have it and are sorely satisfied. The only complaints I've heard are dead boards on arrival requiring RMA's, however thats rare and for $100 well, nuff said.

M_N (oc'ers.com)

Treblig
06-27-2002, 02:41 PM
Well believe me I would like to be able to trust Via . I write at another forum and it just seems that I have been reading a lot of bad news about them lately . Kinda like Microsoft with there XP updates , they have updates to fix the updates ya know what I mean ? I have heard that the Nforce chipsets are a little slow ! Any comments and I have been thinking about getting into a Soltek Purple Ray 333 , any one checked them out yet .

damn1
06-27-2002, 03:28 PM
nForces are pretty slow with stock stuff, and even with decent graphics... The reason being the Hypertransport bus connecting nForce north bridge and whatever the south bridge may be.
You get V-Link on VIA, which is as fast, if not faster than Intel's hub connections.

P.S. the reason why you see so many people having troubles with VIA chipsets is because people buy them :p

P.P.S. It's not about trust, but about perforance and technological excellence.. It takes guts to go up head to head against Intel.

Treblig
06-27-2002, 03:48 PM
If I were gonna be running an Intel CPU I would definatly go with VIA . I wont be running and Intel any time soon . Not anti Intel just pro AMD . Like I already stated I run AMD 761 north and was just wondering if AMD had a 333 chipset . I like the Idea of running reference chipsets . Performance is king tho , you are right .

damn1
06-27-2002, 03:59 PM
AMD has a very limited chipset making operation, and they only make chipset to introduce new CPU form-factors to the market (apparently). AMD will not be introducing a new chipset until they hit 64-bit cores. There's the multiprocessor North Bridge chips, but for a single CPU I'd definately pick KT333 + 8233a over KT266a (old PC2100), SiS 745 (budget, questionable overclocked stability), or nForce 420 (i wonder who was smoking up in nVidia).

P.S. now, that's personal preference; for customers, i do nForce with built-in "GeForce2MX on Tylenol" cuz it's easier.

The Coolest
06-28-2002, 08:34 AM
Right now it depends what you need the system for if this is for games then prolly the VIA KT333 would be the best choice, but if its for stuff like data processing, aka photoshop and such, I saw an ATI chipset, in applications like photoshop it blew away VIA & nForce chipsets! Like had 20%-30% better performance, but it did suffer in games, being much slower. so its pretty much your choice, if you need the computer for serious work and data processing and 3d rendering then go with ATI, if u'r into games go with VIA KT333

damn1
06-28-2002, 10:49 AM
Where did you see the ATI benches?

Treblig
06-28-2002, 12:08 PM
Cool , coolest ! LOL . Gaming and Shorno thats about it !!! LOL , priorities huh . Thanx .

Micutzu
07-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Treblig
I have heard that the Nforce chipsets are a little slow ! Any comments and I have been thinking about getting into a Soltek Purple Ray 333 , any one checked them out yet .

The nVidia chipset is a little slow in the memory benches , but in fact has the largest memory bandwidth out there (2channels) , wich is in part used for the onboard vid-card .

The Soltek DRV5 (purple ray) is a good board , i've tested one that went to 165 FSB with the 1/4 FSB/PCI divider no problem . And that's with a generic RAM .With a decent RAM it could hit the 200 mark easily. It's only inconvenient is the multiplier , RAM-v and AGP-v settings that are made from jumpers and not trough the BIOS . Also the v-core goes to only 1.85V , so no extreme overclocking with it . :banana:

Treblig
07-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Cool , thanx for that info Micutzu . Thats realy the board I want and have been hearing good things about it . It comes with either the KT266a or the 333 and I'm gonna go for the 333 . Later and thanx all .

Micutzu
07-01-2002, 03:14 PM
Well there are 3 models : DRV4 , ERV and DRV5 . The DRV5 has KT333 (that's the one i've tested) , the other 2 have the KT266A and are maybe the fastest KT266A boards . The main difference between the DRV4 and ERV is that ERV has the multiplier setting in the BIOS .

Treblig
07-01-2002, 03:26 PM
I am afraid of the 266's ... LOL . When I'm ready the 333 will be the choice . I still need to consider a newer CPU but , on a Daddy with 2 kids budget . LOL . Probably be able to get the board and try to burn up the Duron before a new CPU . As far as the Vmod can't you set the default bridges hotter on the Die ? Or if you did the board wouldn't support the voltage ? Hmmmmmm

Micutzu
07-01-2002, 09:55 PM
I don't know i've never tried that...