PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about Radiical radiators?

Fossil
03-21-2007, 04:44 AM
Topic says it all. I can get them here easily, they look about equivalent to Black Ice, but they talk themselves up big. Have there been any tests of these? Any anecdotal evidence? Anything at all?

No sign of my PAs yet, but even if they are as good as everyone says, with the price and difficulty of obtaining them in Australia, they're hard to recommend to (local) people who ask about w/c stuff. Something tells me that the radiicals perform more like comparable BI rads, or maybe not as good. I am tempted to buy one just to try it out - but which one?

I couldn't even find any detailed specifications of them on their own site. I guess I don't get a good feeling about them, though I would like to as they are locally available and cheaper than the prices I've seen for Black Ice stuff. (oops, missed the don't out of this first time around)

For almost every one of their rads they say:

This radiator easily outstrips all of the radiators we have tested it against bettering their test scores by a significant margin. Brass and copper construction.

They're a bit careful not to say what they tested them against. I think that kind of talk doesn't come across too well.

Marci
03-21-2007, 05:14 AM
See my comments on XSPC blocks in this thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137947

The same applies to XSPC / Radiical rads. Bought in bulk from China, stick on your own stickers, sell em as your own brand. Alphacool were using them at one point, but had quality issues (severely twisted cores etc) straight from the manufacturer resulting in high return rates, and eventually got sick of them and stopped buying them.

Borgod
03-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Mate buy your Thermochills directly from them.
I got 2 delivered to me in Perth and it took 3 days, was packaged supurbly and the DHL tracking service is very good.

With shipping taken into account they work out not much more expensive than your typical BIX from PCCG, and the shipping will be a lot quicker than what PCCG can provide.

email Steve
tradesales@thermochill.com

pss75
03-21-2007, 10:06 PM
I had one once, it is now at the bottom of some landfill site somewhere, the thing was so **** i was too ashamed to ebay it!

azn_bboy07
03-21-2007, 11:53 PM
mate, how much did it cost u for shipping + rads? which rad model did u order? i live in perth as well..:toast:
westside rulez:woot:

Fossil
03-25-2007, 03:16 AM
Thanksf for the info about Radiical.

My Thermochills are coming via a friend in the UK, and I am quite happy to wait for him to send them on because I know they will be packaged the way I want them and sent by the courier I ask for. Actually, he's also sending me some Alphacool stuff, and I save enough postage by getting Alphacool to send to UK not Oz to pay for the whole shipment including my Thermochill order, so it makes sense. Alphacool are either over-charging for postage to Oz, or using a courier that over-charges them. As for Thermochill direct to here, I don't know about the price, but I have heard stories (on here) about Thermochill's packaging being a little basic and maybe not ideal for taking the bashing that can occur with air-mail over that distance. Of course, that issue might have been resolved ages ago, hard to tell as people are always ready to post gripes, while successes aren't so worthy of mention. (e.g. Apogee GTX ripped to bits already and nobody even has one).

Anyway, its clear enough that Radiical are a poor purchase, I won't bother with them even for an experiment.

Shipping cost for the three radiators, various bits, and the Alphacool pump, top + tank from UK is 85 pounds including insurance, which is not a lot more than Alphacool wanted for just a pump and top. My friend ordered my rads (2x PA120.2 and 1x PA160) along with quite a few other bits from over-clock uk, who I thought were just Thermochill in a different hat anyway.

I don't know why people are always saying that the price of Thermochill stuff is prohibitive, even adding in that shipping cost I am not paying much more for them than I would for BI gear from somewhere more local. I should think that if I was ordering in the UK they might even come up cheaper than BI.

Speaking of PCCG, I live in Melb, and have never had anything ordered from them arrive later than next day, in one case it arrived same day :) My only complaint about PCCG is that they don't stock certain popular items: e.g. no FuZions, no DDC2 pumps, no DD gear whatsoever.

Marci
03-26-2007, 01:57 AM
My friend ordered my rads (2x PA120.2 and 1x PA160) along with quite a few other bits from over-clock uk, who I thought were just Thermochill in a different hat anyway.

S'correct. Over-Clock UK existed first... ThermoChill arose a few years down the line basically out of the same company. Originally ThermoChill was PCLincs, but they went under and were bought out by us. In the original days when owned by PCLincs, we provided 50% of the finance to get it up and running, and consulted on the design aims etc for use in watercooling as ourselves and PCLincs were the two major watercooling resellers in the UK at the time. So from day one, ThermoChill was a co-operative between several UK companies to cater for the UK Scene as importing (HWLabs) radiators back then was costly and return rates were high which cost a fortune in return shipping alongside unscrupulous companies not honoring warranties etc - we were all losing out. The UK Resellers had enough, so between them setup ThermoChill to fab rads in the UK for the UK. These days HWLabs etc are much bigger and as such, much cheaper & housed in better economical conditions (exch rate in their favour), meaning ThermoChill are no longer better on price in the UK - or anywhere else - hence we concentrate on performance. If all we can do is be more expensive, we may as well have the performance lead to help justify it. Anyways, later on ended up with ourselves being the sole owners. This all took place during the HE Series era...

The issue with shipping from the UK is that business shipping rates and domestic shipping rates vary greatly. For example, NorthernIreland - part of the UK... however, it costs an extra £10 - £15 to ship there on top of normal price because the courier has to "cross water". Basically, UK Couriers charge excessive rates, which has the knock on effect of making UK Resellers look as tho they're charging excessive rates. In reality, we have no other option... other than to make a loss on shipping. The profit isn't there to do so.