PDA

View Full Version : The TRUTH about the T-bred 2200+. Post rumors, stories, facts?

Michael Rogers
06-26-2002, 06:45 PM
Hi. I'm new to this forum so please forgive any mistakes in ettiquete, thanks.

I want to buy the new 2200+ Athlon with the Tbred core.

BUT, I've heard all sorts of rumors about whether it will or won't even post on a mb that doesn't have an updated BIOS ready for the 13.5 multiplier.

Also, in the unlocking guide on this forum it says the L1 multipliers are NOT cut. That the #1, #3, #5 L3 bridges are the ones that need to be bridged to LOWER the multiplier for a non-updated BIOS.

I also read on amdmb that that person thinks that with an updated BIOS the chip may not need to be unlocked at all. That with the L1 bridges not cut, the chip may be unlocked from the factory.

Anyway, all these rumors and conjectures have given me pause before buying the chip.

Anyone heard any other rumors pro or con the T-bred??

I've heard
1. It's hotter with the smaller surface area of the core.
2. It doesn't want to OC with raising the multiplier very much.
3. Multipier is unlocked.
4. Multiplier is locked.
5. Pencil trick works on L1.
6. L1 isn't cut so doesn't need pencil trick.
7. L3 bridges 1 3 5 need to be connected.
8. Won't work with such and such a mb without BIOS upgrade.
9. Won't work with any mb without BIOS upgrade.
10. Might work, but won't accept 13.5 multiplier.
etc. etc. etc....

Thanks to those on this forum for maintaining such a good resource for those trying to find the TRUTH. The AMD site is just promotional fluff, I think.

Michael Rogers
Athlon 1400@1529 (133x11.5) BUT STABLE ALL DAY LONG
MSI K7T266Pro (MS-6380)
Aircooled

Maximus Nickus
06-27-2002, 09:12 AM
So many rumours, as usual theonly way to see the truth is too see for yourself.

Its a waiting game.

sysfailur
06-27-2002, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the forums. This should straighten things up.

1.Yes.
2.There isn't much room to go higher than 13.5x on mobos. Some mobos don't go to 14 or 15.
3.No.
4.Yes.
5.No need to do it. L1 are all connected.
6.Yes.
7.Yes.
8.Yes.
9.No.
10.Well then it isn't working now is it?

damn1
06-27-2002, 03:46 PM
To add to the rumors:
Abit KX7-333(RAID) and AT7(E) is what all the noise is about... Some other boards support the new 0.13um cores outta da box, but we don't care about the other boards, do we?..

On the Abits, you have ta unlock this puppy to even post, but do the unlocking and popping in only after you booted with a lower grade 0.18um CPU, made sure you're stable, and flashed to the latest BIOS.

P.S. Who uses the stupid Soyos and Epoxes anyway.. Like we can't do the CPU vmod or something...

P.P.S. i suggest ordering a $30 Duron with this 2200+ badboy, just to be safe :smileysex