PDA

View Full Version : System Expectations

spin_doctor
03-16-2007, 05:10 AM
This'll probably come across as a bit noobish, but then I suppose I am an OC noob...:rolleyes:

With the system listed in my sig (and adequate cooling of course), what is the likelihood of breaking the 4GHz mark?

From the reasearch I've done (here and other places) it would appear that the limiting factor may be the memory (675MHz 4-4-4-12 @ 1.9V), but I can't find anything definitive...

My plan is to go 9x445MHz for the cpu and memory (1:1) and hopefully a vdimm of 2.1v will allow that. I found another post that mentioned that memory having a "wall" around 470MHz so with a bit of luck it'll be ok.

Crucially, are there any critical factors I've missed out or are my estimations not unrealistic?

Nerfy
03-16-2007, 08:07 AM
This'll probably come across as a bit noobish, but then I suppose I am an OC noob...:rolleyes:

With the system listed in my sig (and adequate cooling of course), what is the likelihood of breaking the 4GHz mark?

From the reasearch I've done (here and other places) it would appear that the limiting factor may be the memory (675MHz 4-4-4-12 @ 1.9V), but I can't find anything definitive...

My plan is to go 9x445MHz for the cpu and memory (1:1) and hopefully a vdimm of 2.1v will allow that. I found another post that mentioned that memory having a "wall" around 470MHz so with a bit of luck it'll be ok.

Crucially, are there any critical factors I've missed out or are my estimations not unrealistic?

Looks pretty good. Make sure you have good cooling for CPU, and adequate air flow for the RAM. You might be able to get 445 on the ram, but voltage will need to be around 2.1-2.2, as you said, and I think the latencies will have to be 5-5-5-15.

sparkY1000
03-16-2007, 01:09 PM
I am running 2x512Mb of the same RAM and they are easily capable of 416MHz 4-4-4-12 @1.9V I havent had chance to push them yet but I will try and post some results of how far they will go! :)

spin_doctor
03-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the replies folks!

@Nerfy: I was going to take the timings down to 5-5-5-15 as a matter of course, but I'm not sure how the RAM will like anything more than 2.1V... :confused:

@sparkY: I've heard that the 512Mb sticks (although smaller) go faster than the larger 1Gb sticks. I have no idea why that would be, but please post your results back anyway! :yepp:

Thanks again!

Doug

freakBYnature
03-18-2007, 03:35 AM
I am running 2x512Mb of the same RAM and they are easily capable of 416MHz 4-4-4-12 @1.9V I havent had chance to push them yet but I will try and post some results of how far they will go! :)

I too have the same sticks as you sparky, 2x512, but there is no way the msi-mobo is letting me run them on 416mhz 4-4-4-12 on 1.9V. I got 375mhz out of them on 1.95V and 4-4-4-12-15 1T. May be the mobo, too little volt, different chips or maybe you are running 2T? I always prefer 1T over 2T and try to get the best oc on 1T running :)

EDIT, NEW INFO:
Even tried 2.2V which is max for the MSI mobo, tried HTT multi 3x, and timings 5-5-5-15-19 2T, but I didn't get a go there either, get a boot and that :banana::banana::banana::banana:, but orthos says now way jose after just 2 secs every time! It may be that the memory controller don't get enough electricity, but then I'm stuck at 750MHz again, cause the mobo won't let me juice anything but volts up for the RAM-sticks anyway... Got a regular decent overclock all in all I think, considering that every single Volt is stock ;) But no xtreme OC though.... wish I had a better board to test out CPU and RAM on now, but that's what one gets for being cheap once in a while :slapass: :p: