PDA

View Full Version : Lux Design to start carrying White Water Blocks produced by DTek

twiztdskatr
05-31-2003, 05:27 AM
http://www.lux-design.com/wwp4.html

Pre-order today!

:toast:

gobbo
05-31-2003, 09:01 AM
I beleive dangerden have a maze4 in plan aswell, looknig good for us watercoolers atm with these new blocks coming out.

Anyone know a UK based store that stock the whitewater blocks??

Johnny Knoxvill
05-31-2003, 10:13 AM
haven't see any resellers in the UK yet, i'm also waiting so i can go watercooling :D

Johnny Knoxvill
06-01-2003, 10:01 AM
the maze 4 is also coming out, not seen any reviews yet

beatnic
06-01-2003, 01:25 PM
if it's available in the UK i bet it's gonna be ££££ expensive.. even a swifty block costs £52 where u can get it in the US for $52.. heheh.. just change the currency sign..

Johnny loves Catalina LOL

luihed
06-01-2003, 01:37 PM
There's an option at lux to get it shipped on wer. june 5 (or was it to your door at june 5?), so i guess it will be available this week..... Shipping for that date though cost $31 Cnd , im willing to wait another week to save some money.....

Johnny Knoxvill
06-01-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by beatnic
if it's available in the UK i bet it's gonna be ££££ expensive.. even a swifty block costs £52 where u can get it in the US for $52.. heheh.. just change the currency sign..

i heard that several UK resselers have asked d-tec if they can sell it, but they refused. so it looks like may have to order from US :mad:

gobbo
06-01-2003, 01:42 PM
DangerDen Maze4 looks a very good block, i belelvie Marci from over-clock is expecting some in next week!

antipop
06-02-2003, 05:20 AM
I'm waiting some review from both to see how they perform

beatnic
06-02-2003, 06:53 AM
hope Marci can bring in the white water as well

Johnny Knoxvill
06-02-2003, 07:15 AM
apparently the maze 4 is only 1 celcius better than maze 3, we'll see how it performs in the reviews.
anyway don't you need 3 fittings to get the maximum performance out of the WWB?

JeffPH
06-02-2003, 07:43 AM
Just 2 fittings it comes with y connector for the 2 outs.

Holst
06-02-2003, 08:00 AM
TBH the difference block design makes is pretty small when you get to high end blocks.

1*c is a big difference with 100watt load.

I found that there were two big places to optimise watercooling, the mount onto the CPU itself and cooling the water.

Getting 1*c cooler water is much easyer than getting your block 1*c more efficent, and has the same result. Your never gona get 5*c change on your block, but its not hard to do with water temp.

Cathar
06-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Holst
Getting 1*c cooler water is much easyer than getting your block 1*c more efficent, and has the same result. Your never gona get 5*c change on your block, but its not hard to do with water temp.

I'll tell that to all the high-end overclockers (~100W heat loads) who saw 6C drops over the Maze 3 when they switched to the White Water then shall I?

luihed
06-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Are the whitewater going to be just as effective for the P4s as they are with the athlons..... the design looks good on the athlon but with the bigger surface area of the p4s Im not sure if its gonna be as effective.....

antipop
06-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Cathar
I'll tell that to all the high-end overclockers (~100W heat loads) who saw 6C drops over the Maze 3 when they switched to the White Water then shall I? Really 6°C, damn now i want one more and more but i need more money!
Does the Dtek one performs as well?

Cathar
06-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by luihed
Are the whitewater going to be just as effective for the P4s as they are with the athlons..... the design looks good on the athlon but with the bigger surface area of the p4s Im not sure if its gonna be as effective.....

Under the heat-spreader the P4 die is just 11.3 x 11.3mm in size. The heat load flux does not spread evenly throughout the heat spreader, and ~90% of the heat load is dissipated in the middle 11.3x11.3mm area of the IHS, and most of the rest is dissipated within a central 16x16mm area, which is what the White Water focuses on.

Now where it gets weird is that some P4's are stubborn with their temperature reporting. Some will report quite a large drop in temperature, while others will report a small drop, and this seems to be unique to the CPU itself, and not the test system. I've got P4 CPU's here where on one you'll see a 5C drop over a Maze 3, and on others you'll only see a 1C drop being reported.

P4's use two thermal sensors and do some "magic" to arrive at the final reported value. P4's also chronically under-report their actual temperature as they are in fact no cooler running than an AMD CPU given the same cooling setup, yet they'll report very low temperatures. Some P4 CPU's don't under-report, and it's on these ones that the large temperature drops are seen.

The theory, simulations, and testing points to a situation where the P4's will see about 1C less of an improvement over the AMD CPU's, but erratic P4 temperature reporting makes it somewhat hard for this to be shown.

I've seen users report 5C drops on very hot P4's (3.85GHz/1.75v) over a Maze 3, even given that the Maze 3 could only manage a 3.70GHz overclock on the CPU, and then I've seen people who've reported only 1C temp drops, but still achieve a good extra overclock.

The important thing to take away from this though is to know that the P4 CPU dies are almost exactly the same size as a Palomino AthlonXP die, and the IHS just acts pretty much like the waterblock has an extra 1.27mm of copper thickness on its base.

Cathar
06-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by antipop
Does the Dtek one performs as well?

The DTek block is indentical in all ways that count, being the jet nozzle plate and the channels dimensions and base-plate dimensions. These are the elements that are responsible for doing the cooling, and they are exactly the same. The only difference between the two blocks is the top piece that holds the barbs, and it is wholly unresponsible for any cooling effect.

JeffPH
06-04-2003, 03:44 PM
CAthar, have you compared white water with a DD Maze 4? if so does it still give that 5C drop over the WW? Thanks

beatnic
06-05-2003, 03:28 AM
Cathar, we want the White Water in the UK ;)

Johnny Knoxvill
06-05-2003, 03:51 AM
yeah they need at least one european resseler, otherwise d-tek will seriously lose out

antipop
06-05-2003, 04:45 AM
Dtek ships to europe so as cooltechnica. I don't think that it'll be cheaper in europe even if you include the shipping. Anyway i've asked the shipping price to cooltechnica, it should be around 30-40$

Cathar
06-05-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by JeffPH
CAthar, have you compared white water with a DD Maze 4? if so does it still give that 5C drop over the WW? Thanks

Uh, no one has a Maze 4 yet. They're not shipping, although they should be any day now.

The Maze 4 isn't even on my personal radar. From a water-block design perspective, I estimate it'd offer maybe a 1C gain over a Maze 3.

The Maze 4 keeps with DangerDen's marketing philosophy so far as I can tell. A nice little block for a decent price, but not chasing the top-end of town performance.

gobbo
06-05-2003, 05:29 AM
Maze4 stuff
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Blocks/maze4.asp

Thats at DangerDen, not seen any reviews of it though.

NoFuture
06-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Lux-design is half an hour drive from my house. I need to save some money for water cooling...

Marci
06-11-2003, 10:16 AM
We should have the WhiteWater blocks in a week or two....