PDA

View Full Version : Xbox360 1080p?

arisythila
03-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Hey guys, Im thinking about getting a Xbox 360 for the HD DVD playback

On the site it says, "Supports 1080p output from the Xbox 360 without requiring an HDMI connection"

I really have no clue, but im 100% sure someone here knows.

~Mike

Kanten
03-10-2007, 04:19 PM
It all really depends on the HD set you use it on. Some sets will support 1080p input via component, while others due to the ever-brilliant HDCP scheme will only take the signal through HDMI.

MrDeeds
03-11-2007, 12:59 AM
What that means is the 360 supports 1080p over vga and only over vga.

So if your big screen doesnt have vga your not going to be seeing anything over 720p.

arisythila
03-11-2007, 05:30 AM
Okay, Im pulling 1080i from Component right now, I have the Samsung HL-S5088W, Back of my TV looks like so.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/7705/7705708_ba.jpg

So would I need the 360 VGA cable?

VGA CAble (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7479604&st=Xbox+360+VGA&type=product&id=1126591946321)

This link says it only supports 1080i I just want to make sure I get the right thing.

Thanks again.

~Mike

3rd-Dimension
03-11-2007, 05:45 AM
samsungs are some of the few tvs that do support 1080p over component.

edit: just remember to do the update that allows the 360 1080p output

edit 2: I thought I remembered this correct, vga doesnt even really do 1080i, heres proof, just grab component cables and ull be good to go with 1080p output

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/40/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/p1/

edit 3: dang it i keep remembering things, if u wanna know EVERYTHING about ur tv go here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=665890&highlight=5088w

arisythila
03-11-2007, 05:50 AM
Where do I go for this update?

Thanks

jbrukardt
03-11-2007, 08:04 AM
VGA will do 1080p just fine, the component will as well, but perosnally i think the colors look better over vga (ive tried both)

arisythila
03-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Ill give a whirl to both. Does anybody know about the MEdia Center deal? Im snagging a copy of XPMC right now. Does it allow you to play Different kinds of rips? XVID, and DIVX?

~Mike

Soulburner
03-11-2007, 10:00 AM
That has nothing to do with your version of Windows and everything to do with your codecs.

Do a search for the K-Lite Codec pack. I just installed it today ;)

3rd-Dimension
03-11-2007, 10:01 AM
VGA will do 1080p just fine, the component will as well, but perosnally i think the colors look better over vga (ive tried both)

any reviews of someone who has used it as such? Not lookin tryin to call out or anything, I just bought a 65inch mitsu 1080p which doesnt do component 1080p and every review ive read for the vga says it doesnt do 1080p res. That was like the one reason I was leaning toward ps3 since the 60 gig has hdmi output.

BTW the update for the 360 is auto when u sign in with ur silver xbox live account.

edit:

Ill give a whirl to both. Does anybody know about the MEdia Center deal? Im snagging a copy of XPMC right now. Does it allow you to play Different kinds of rips? XVID, and DIVX?

~Mike

I know vista fully utilizes the 360, no idea if mce 2k5 and lower does, anyways i would prob use another app for xvid stuff, etc anyways to send to the xbox, one would be tversity show here

http://tversity.com/screenshots/

also i think u dont need mce with that prog, cant remeber, just read the site and ull c

3rd-Dimension
03-11-2007, 10:06 AM
That has nothing to do with your version of Windows and everything to do with your codecs.

Do a search for the K-Lite Codec pack. I just installed it today ;)

no necessarily, it used to be the extenders for media center edition would only detect the video files encoded in windows media video format or a windows condoned format, not sure if theyve implimented full divx support in streaming to the extenders yet. Ive read that v2 extenders that r suppose to work with vista should allow this capability

afireinside
03-11-2007, 11:02 AM
So wait you're saying the new MS media extender supports divx? I want x264 streaming...

3rd-Dimension
03-11-2007, 11:36 AM
http://www.hardware.info/en-US/news/ym2cmJqRwpya/Linksys_announces_network_ready_DiVXDVD_player/

"As Linksys has bought the network hardware company KiSS they are starting to release products under their own name, and gradually fading out the KiSS brand name. The first product to hit the market is the DP1600. This is a networked DiVX and DVD player, able to play DivX-, XviD-, Nero-Digital-, MPEG-1/-2-/4- and WMV9 encoded video, as well as MP3 files and audio CD's."

"Linksys claims that the DP1600 is one of the first devices that will be able to act as a media extender in the upcoming Windows Vista operating system, thanks to an additinal chip they have named "Pika"."

edit: somemore resources

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/media/MCX.mspx

http://jtsang.blogspot.com/2006/12/v2-extenders-vs-mce2005.html

arisythila
03-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Im loading Media Center 2005 up right now, going to check it out, to see what it does so forth. I have a TV tuner in that computer, but its upstairs, I wonder if it will grab live TV from this computer upstairs. I will let everybody know.

~Mike

Kanten
03-11-2007, 04:32 PM
From my experience with my Westinghouse LVM-37w3, the 1080p looks noticeably better over component.

Having tried both component and VGA, I noticed the colors appeared a bit washed out and the gamma a bit bland on the latter. It could be different based on different monitors though.

Lestat
03-11-2007, 04:58 PM
the 360 vga cable is a crap shoot
why?
cuz it uses the crappiest cables you can find.
thus you get alot of loss and cross talk between the wires.

things the VGA cables are WELL known for
1. washed out colors.
2. hazey screen, like the contrast is way off.
3. lines in the screen . easy way to see this is by certian times the 360 has black screens, say during a loading sequence or something of a game. or prior to getting to the xbox dashboard. you will see verticle lines that are sort of jittery and flashing,, now in a game you wont see it, but it just proves the point that the 360 vga cables are crap. if MS had just spent a little more money none of these issues would be there.

so use the vga cable for what you will but i have been thru 3 of them and i still have the white lines in the screen. again they are only visible if the screen is pretty much :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: black.

and no you can not do divx and such via the xbox360 you can only do WMV and pictures and such. i maybe totally wrong on my next statement but i do not think you can do TV either by streaming it from your MCE PC.
oh you can do pictures and music too.

if you want to run all types of video codecs you need to download Transcode360

Doom5
03-11-2007, 05:19 PM
The VGA cables are not crappy. The issue is believed the difference in way PC monitors and TVs handle a VGA signal, like the contrast, black level, etc.

Lestat
03-11-2007, 07:04 PM
The VGA cables are not crappy. The issue is believed the difference in way PC monitors and TVs handle a VGA signal, like the contrast, black level, etc.

you are correct, partially.

the vga cables are crap, 1 simple piece of evidence to prove this is the fact that if you actually looked around, you will find that people, and im not talking me, have to go thru several cables to get one that isnt all washed out etc etc.

i have read the argument about the way the TV is receiving the signal, and its a half a$$es argument with very little validation to it, but it doesnt support the evidence, as ive said for the 3rd time now, that you can go thru several cables before you get one that doesnt have washed out colors, and lines etc etc.
the first 360 i had i got a vga cable with it, and it was perfect. now im on my 2nd xbox (technically my third as the 2nd one bricked) and im on my 3rd vga cable just for this one xbox.
Again, if the TV had issues recieving and decoding the signal different VGA cables would have ZERO difference. and to dispute the fact that this is undispted evidence to the fact that the cables are crap is rediculous.

the 360 vga cables are known, and i mean known, to be a poor excuse for a cable.

now, lastly if you knew anything at all, and i mean anything at all about cables, and a/v signals and how low grade small awg cable can effect quality you wouldnt say "they are not crap".

go buy a p.o.s. elcheapo thin cable for your pc then buy one of the nice thick ones with the inline filters built in and see what happens.

i can argue this point with you all day long, i make and sell cables everyday.. i know what im refering to.

arisythila
03-12-2007, 07:28 AM
I will give the Transcode 360 a try, see how it works.

~Mike

the 360 vga cable is a crap shoot
why?
cuz it uses the crappiest cables you can find.
thus you get alot of loss and cross talk between the wires.

things the VGA cables are WELL known for
1. washed out colors.
2. hazey screen, like the contrast is way off.
3. lines in the screen . easy way to see this is by certian times the 360 has black screens, say during a loading sequence or something of a game. or prior to getting to the xbox dashboard. you will see verticle lines that are sort of jittery and flashing,, now in a game you wont see it, but it just proves the point that the 360 vga cables are crap. if MS had just spent a little more money none of these issues would be there.

so use the vga cable for what you will but i have been thru 3 of them and i still have the white lines in the screen. again they are only visible if the screen is pretty much :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: black.

and no you can not do divx and such via the xbox360 you can only do WMV and pictures and such. i maybe totally wrong on my next statement but i do not think you can do TV either by streaming it from your MCE PC.
oh you can do pictures and music too.

if you want to run all types of video codecs you need to download Transcode360

s7e9h3n
03-12-2007, 11:32 AM
If you're only after the ability to play back HDDVD, then simply just buy the HDDVD drive and hook it up via USB to your computer. Get PowerDVD HD and then you'll be able to play HDDVD's on your computer. Remember, ideally you'll have an hdcp compliant video card (e.g. 8800, 7950, R600, some x1600's) with possibly an HDMI output.....

arisythila
03-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Oh, I already have a Xbox 360.. so ill us it to play the HD DVD's

~Mike

Soulburner
03-12-2007, 05:04 PM
The XBox 360 doesn't play HD DVD's. That's why they made a $200 add-on drive :rolleyes:

arisythila
03-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Well I have an Xbox 360, and the HD DVD Drive... LOL, so Ill let the Xbox play the HD DVD movies :-)

~Mike

Khaotic
03-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Has anyone done a resolution check of a 360 VGA cable to make sure the output (when set to 1080p or 1080i) is acutually 1920x1080 to reflect REAL 1080 resolution?? Hopefully i have those numbers right. I'm tired and freakin' mad about some other $hit at the moment, so shoot me the right numbers if i'm wrong.
I'd like to get VGA cables so i can play my XBOX on my PC monitor when the wife is hogging the HD TV.

MrDeeds
03-16-2007, 03:12 AM
What that means is the 360 supports 1080p over vga and only over vga.

So if your big screen doesnt have vga your not going to be seeing anything over 720p.

I retract my earlier statement that the 360 only does 1080P over vga. I based my comment primarily on hearsay and experiences others have said they've had. I've done some of my own research over the last couple days since im in the market for a 1080P lcd.

The 360 successfully outputs 1080P over component and vga for video game play but not for the hd-dvd attachment. If your using the 360 with component cords the maximum resolution the 360s hd-dvd will send to your television is 1080i. The requirement of a vga cord for 1080p content with the hd-dvd is further complicated with the fact that most 1080p televisions dont have a vga input and there are even less tvs that accept a 1080p input over component.

This is one of the reasons we're going to see hdmi on the 360 refresh later this year.

i have read the argument about the way the TV is receiving the signal, and its a half a$$es argument with very little validation to it, but it doesnt support the evidence, as ive said for the 3rd time now, that you can go thru several cables before you get one that doesnt have washed out colors, and lines etc etc.
the first 360 i had i got a vga cable with it, and it was perfect. now im on my 2nd xbox (technically my third as the 2nd one bricked) and im on my 3rd vga cable just for this one xbox.
Again, if the TV had issues recieving and decoding the signal different VGA cables would have ZERO difference. and to dispute the fact that this is undispted evidence to the fact that the cables are crap is rediculous.

I can agree with you that there seems to be a quality control issue with 360 vga cords but i dont think your getting the problem with the tvs.

When you use the vga input on most tvs, the tv doesnt give you access to color adjustments in the menu because it assumes its a pc thats going to be hooked up to it and your going to make color adjustments with the video card from within the os. So in essence the tv becomes a monitor with no way of adjusting settings other than brightness and contrast. Hence the reason it looks washed out on some tvs with not much color. Its a problem from both sides because there are some televisions that give you access to all color settings no matter then input and dont have a problem with the 360 and microsoft could and should have just used hdmi from the get go.

Has anyone done a resolution check of a 360 VGA cable to make sure the output (when set to 1080p or 1080i) is acutually 1920x1080 to reflect REAL 1080 resolution?? Hopefully i have those numbers right. I'm tired and freakin' mad about some other $hit at the moment, so shoot me the right numbers if i'm wrong.
I'd like to get VGA cables so i can play my XBOX on my PC monitor when the wife is hogging the HD TV.

The 360 was always capable of 1080i from its original release and now is capable of 1080p for gameplay on component and vga but only vga for the hd-dvd. You just have to make sure the monitor or tv your going to use is capable of accepting 1080p/1080i for the input you want to use.

arisythila
03-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Samsung DLP's LCD's allow for 1080p over component. And from what I See, with HD-DVD it also allows 1080p while playing 1080p movies.

~Mike

cyanidebm
03-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Greetings, my personal experience with Westinghouse LVM-37w3 & the Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD drive is 1080p playback only through the VGA. 1080i with component.

3rd-Dimension
03-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Greetings, my personal experience with Westinghouse LVM-37w3 & the Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD drive is 1080p playback only through the VGA. 1080i with component.

Probably because ur tv only accepts 1080p over hdmi and computer input, its the same with mine, hence earlier discussion in thread

Samsung DLP's LCD's allow for 1080p over component. And from what I See, with HD-DVD it also allows 1080p while playing 1080p movies.

~Mike

it does, u can use 1080p component for hd dvd movies right now. However they do have a copy protection feature that will be turned on in the future sometime that will automatically downscale the quality when not sent over an encrypted output i.e. hdmi with hdcp.

cyanidebm
03-16-2007, 09:53 PM
No, my TV does 1080p over component, been playing GRAW2 at 1080p over component. Only HD-DVD plays at 1080i over component.

arisythila
03-17-2007, 05:47 AM
it does, u can use 1080p component for hd dvd movies right now. However they do have a copy protection feature that will be turned on in the future sometime that will automatically downscale the quality when not sent over an encrypted output i.e. hdmi with hdcp.

So I better buy all my movies now?

~Mike

3rd-Dimension
03-17-2007, 06:14 AM
No, my TV does 1080p over component, been playing GRAW2 at 1080p over component. Only HD-DVD plays at 1080i over component.

nm, re read and the 1080p over component was talk before release, heres official specs though and ur right max over component for hd dvd is 1080i, and if u have a 1080p tv it will alot of times upscale to 1080p which is prob whats happening with other dude.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/21/xbox-360-hd-dvd-playback-maximum-1080i-via-component-1080p-vga/

So I better buy all my movies now?

~Mike

Buy ur movies? The AACS that downscales the res if played over non hdcp hasnt been turned on but if it ever does the only input u can use for true 1080 from hd dvd player will be over hdmi, unless u use something like any dvd which now supports the ripping of hd dvd and blu ray disc encryption.

arisythila
03-25-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm able to play 1080p with VGA cables, but not able to run 1080p in movies VIA component. So you do need the VGA cable.

Games play at 1080p, but movies do not, via Component.

VGA does play in 1080p tho.

~Mike

s7e9h3n
03-25-2007, 02:58 PM
.... unless u use something like any dvd which now supports the ripping of hd dvd and blu ray disc encryption.

Which, if I may add, is quite a nice piece of software.....