PDA

View Full Version : Activate TEC when needed....

Ocbench
05-29-2003, 03:38 PM
I have a Swiffy MCW50-T, and I was wondering if i can just activate the TEC when i need it? Since it is connected with a Molex plug. So if I can just run it on water, with the TEC not connected with the PSU, while running Default???

Best regards

Daniel Andrew Lowe

mdzcpa
05-29-2003, 04:10 PM
Although not impossible, this is something I would not suggest doing. Do to the pelt being placed in between the cold plate and the water, the pelt will act as an insulator when it is not powered. This will result in temps far worse than a regular MCW50 (non TEC). Leave it powered or get another MCW50 for non TEC use.

KnightElite
05-29-2003, 06:43 PM
Yeah, like he said, you'll want to change the block out, because the TEC will act as an insulating layer.

Ocbench
05-29-2003, 11:53 PM
Ahh okay I see. I was just wondering if it was possible, but it makes sense that it in actuality actes like an insulation towards heat from the gpu.

Thanks for the help..

Daniel Andrew Lowe

wdd1040
06-01-2003, 05:29 PM

Tedinde
06-01-2003, 06:05 PM
I used to run my 226 watt tec 5 volts on the PS rail with no problems when not balls to the wall overclocking.

You could try that, Check the temps to make sure it's not overheating. Im assuming your wanting to do this when @ stock volts, and no overclocking for day to day??

I tried it on mine today. Handles it and still cooler than on air.