PDA

View Full Version : Practical Question: Bong or Radiator

L33T
03-09-2007, 06:27 PM
When I first decided to jump upon the concept of a bong design, it attracted me because it appeared to be less expensive than a similarly performing radiator or heater core setup. Alas, I learned, based on the project logs of other people, that to make a aesthetically appealing bong, it cost over a hundred dollars... some people, such as AussieJester, spent about $150 if I remember correctly from his pseudo-worklog to make a -- let me say, beautifully made bong.

Though then I was in Home Depot and I found that PVC pieces aren't quite as cheap as I had simply guessed; furthermore, they were missing the important T-piece, which seems to be necessary; nonetheless, the other pieces were:

White PVC Pipe Fitting 4" Pipe, 45 Deg PVC Wye, Socket ... $8
PVP Pipe 4" x 10' ... $18
120mm fan ... $6

This is by no means a comprehensive list; I can think of some other things I might need: some PVC cement $10(?), a PVC cutting saw $20, ; and if I want other connection pieces -- bends, T's, &c... each piece is about $8 it seems. If I were to just want a T-pipe with a T-pipe connected to each of its two feet as "supports", that'd be about $24... then I need about four caps at $3 a piece for $12 total.

So far that's $98. I still need some way of breaking the water apart into droplets, which I suppose may be done using the top of a CD container and punching holes into it (you know, the kinda of CD "tower" you get when you buy a bunch of CDRW's). But then that might be a bit too large in hindsight. Let us just assume that building this thing will cost about $15, even if it means just buying a shower head.

Now we're at $113. I'd need a bit of paint to make it look nice; a bottle of spray paint could run about $10. Fortunately I already have a supply of various grit sandpaper.

In total, this bong would cost $123.

That's the problem, and it doesn't stop there. Apparently you can no longer use things you don't wish to inhale as fumes. I plan on using Pentosin G12, which I suppose I don't wanna inhale. Also, it raises humidity, which is a huge negative for me, since I'd be using this down in the basement. We're already running dual dehumidifiers 24/7 just to get rid of the humidity. I'd hate to think that I'm running a humidifier just across the room.

All those things aside however, it was the cost that startled me.

That brings me to my second idea, which I brought up long ago (mind you, this isn't my idea originally; Zenjirou originally did it first). The idea is to use an aftermarket car radiator -- not a typically small one; no: a large one. It would be something like this, for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-87-88-89-ACCORD-KOYO-HI-FLOW-NEW-RADIATOR-JDM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQitemZ8022210 177QQrdZ1. A Koyo radiator. Don't be fooled by the $79 Buy It Now price. Look at the shipping: $25. That makes $104 total. Well, I could buy it at my local car parts store for just $4 more, and have the satisfaction of getting it immediately.

And a radiator is-a radiator. Each PVC component is-not-a bong. You've got to build it, which I realize is part of the fun, but for $108, I could have a working product; perhaps I need to screw in a pair of 1/2" ID barbs, but that's child's play.

$108 and I can get absolute silence.
$123 and I can get a waterfall effect.

What do you guys think?

Mr. Peanut
03-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Bongs:
-Require you to add water frequenlty, as it evaporates out of the top.
-Drastically increase the humidity of your room.
-Are large. Too large to mount internally, and if if you had a small one, it would probably form water droplets inside your case, eventually frying something.
-Can get temps below ambient.

Also, while I'm no expert, I do understand that the key to the bong is the formation of water droplets mid-fall. Thus, you want to go for the "waterfall effect" that you mentioned.

Mr. Peanut
03-09-2007, 06:34 PM
how do "bongs" work with just PVC near as well as a rad? i dont get it

and 10' long? where are you going to put that?

pics of some already made ones?We already have threads for this. Use the search function :)

SlicerSV
03-09-2007, 06:37 PM
bongs work by releasing the heat of the water directly into the air, similar to how a waterfall has warmer water before and colder water where it collects at the bottom. bongs are EXTREMELY efficient, but they're not quiet, and as mentioned they release humidity, and any additives you have in your water, into your air.

i'd use the radiator, myself. i've never been a fan of bongs. with that big a radiator, if you just add one of those extremely large DC fans in front of it and get an undervolted adapter so it's quieter, would be nearly as efficient as a bong, without the bad parts.

theelectic
03-09-2007, 06:39 PM
What kind, or how much pump would you need to get decent flow through that car radiator? Would a D5 cut it?

MaxxxRacer
03-09-2007, 06:43 PM
if you want it to be practical get a radiator.. there is nothing practical about bongs.

L33T
03-09-2007, 07:35 PM
if you want it to be practical get a radiator.. there is nothing practical about bongs.

If NOL heard that... I can see the angry tears streaming out already ^__- jk jk. I mean, bongs are really kwl; so are radiators too. Though I think in my situation a radiator my be better suited... I'm not saying a radiator is better than a bong or vice-versa.

What kind, or how much pump would you need to get decent flow through that car radiator? Would a D5 cut it?

I'm using DDC2's with the DDCT-01 top (Petra). I have two loops, but while using the radiator, I'll use Y-connectors so it will be a sort of a figure 8.
Loop1: CPU, DDC2|DDCT-01
Loop2: 8800GTX, NB, DDC2|DDCT-01

how do "bongs" work with just PVC near as well as a rad? i dont get it

and 10' long? where are you going to put that?

pics of some already made ones?

Naah no device that transfers heat to the ambient air shall ever set foot inside my beloved case. All cooling and heat exchanging to the atmosphere is done outside the case. 10' long isn't the height of the bong; it's the height of a piece of PVC tubing. They sell them at 10' long for $18, but you can get them at 2' long for $8. I think I'll buy the former, and just cut a segment I need.

Bongs:
-Require you to add water frequenlty, as it evaporates out of the top.
-Drastically increase the humidity of your room.
-Are large. Too large to mount internally, and if if you had a small one, it would probably form water droplets inside your case, eventually frying something.
-Can get temps below ambient.

Also, while I'm no expert, I do understand that the key to the bong is the formation of water droplets mid-fall. Thus, you want to go for the "waterfall effect" that you mentioned.

Evaporation of the coolant is my primary concern, which divides into three things:
o Loss of coolant
o Increase of humidity
o Dangerous fumes in the air

The coolant temperature will be below ambient with a bong, but with the radiator, I should achieve ambient temperatures on the coolant. I stand a good chance to get sub-zero temperatures on load using the Koyo radiator.

L33T
03-10-2007, 02:10 PM
MaxxxRacer, you mentioned before to Zenjirou that you recommend running the waterblocks in parallel.

Now the question is, how should I do this?

I was thinking in order to preserve flow rates (I'll be using a pair of DDC2-DDCT-01's), I should use a pair of Y-connectors that splits a 1" ID tube to two 1/2" ID's.
Please refer to this post: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1182783&postcount=22

So I would find a pair of 1" ID to 1/2" ID splitter.

What do you think?

Nerfy
03-10-2007, 02:55 PM
If you have to buy EVERYTHING you need to make a bong, then yes, it will be expensive.

I, for one, already had a hacksaw (even a wood saw will work on PVC), PVC glue, paint, and various other tools. I also made my own shower head out of a tupperware container. Total cost for me < $50 (I didn't focus to much on aesthetics).

To control algae, use this. Safe on copper and to evaporate.

http://www.kineticfountains.com/fountec.asp

Don't like the idea of buying gallons of distilled water to refill the thing? Use this with tap water.

http://www.kineticfountains.com/protec.asp?campaign=sitesearch

The only negative aspect of using a bong, in my opinion, is difficult transportation. Humidity was never really a problem for me, and water loss was quite conservative (needed to add about a half gallon for 12+ hour LAN party).

L33T
03-10-2007, 03:23 PM
If you have to buy EVERYTHING you need to make a bong, then yes, it will be expensive.

I, for one, already had a hacksaw (even a wood saw will work on PVC), PVC glue, paint, and various other tools. I also made my own shower head out of a tupperware container. Total cost for me < $50 (I didn't focus to much on aesthetics).

To control algae, use this. Safe on copper and to evaporate.

http://www.kineticfountains.com/fountec.asp

Don't like the idea of buying gallons of distilled water to refill the thing? Use this with tap water.

http://www.kineticfountains.com/protec.asp?campaign=sitesearch

The only negative aspect of using a bong, in my opinion, is difficult transportation. Humidity was never really a problem for me, and water loss was quite conservative (needed to add about a half gallon for 12+ hour LAN party).

Well, my computer is typically on 24/7... and since I'm running TEC modules while folding, it will be an incredible amount of heat.... that's why I'm pretty sure there will be quite a bit of humidity. Yea, unfortunately I don't have a lotta things available to build it. =(

AussieJester
03-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Check your local supermarket for baby bottle cleaner, cost me $AU6
for a litre one small cupful treats 2 litres of water works a treat at
keeping the bugs at bay :-) If you have a dremel, use that with a cutting disk
to cut your pvc pipe...i wrapped a piece of tape around the pipe to get
a straight line to follow when cutting :-) You will definitely need a vent IMO
if the room is small and not ventilated

Nerfy
03-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Well, my computer is typically on 24/7... and since I'm running TEC modules while folding, it will be an incredible amount of heat.... that's why I'm pretty sure there will be quite a bit of humidity. Yea, unfortunately I don't have a lotta things available to build it. =(

Ah. With TEC's you will have some high evaporation rates.

L33T
03-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Check your local supermarket for baby bottle cleaner, cost me $AU6
for a litre one small cupful treats 2 litres of water works a treat at
keeping the bugs at bay :-) If you have a dremel, use that with a cutting disk
to cut your pvc pipe...i wrapped a piece of tape around the pipe to get
a straight line to follow when cutting :-) You will definitely need a vent IMO
if the room is small and not ventilated

Ah. With TEC's you will have some high evaporation rates.

-------

Yea thanks for the replies... I think I'll go with the giant radiator. BTW AussieJester, absolutely incredible work there; it was very well done to say the very least.

I suppose I'll start a new thread dedicated to the KOYO project... following in Zenjirou's footsteps so to speak haha.