PDA

View Full Version : rad standoffs?

sundaysinner
03-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Im going to mount my rad on outside back of case.I have been looking for brackets to stand it off a few inches from back.I havent been able to find any.The rad box is all i have seen.Does anyone know where i can find brackets for this?

IanY
03-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Im going to mount my rad on outside back of case.I have been looking for brackets to stand it off a few inches from back.I havent been able to find any.The rad box is all i have seen.Does anyone know where i can find brackets for this?

Those come packaged with the RadBox, together with all the necessary screws.

DVL73
03-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Hack any old and dusty 120x25mm fan ? :) Essentially, you already have the mounting holes - just dremel cut the 4 joints, so that you are left only with the fan shell.

By the way, if you mount the radiator at the back of your case, just make sure that you duct the hot air from the psu fan. Ideally, you should have something similar to "chimney".

sundaysinner
03-08-2007, 11:54 AM
I just bought the
Thermochill PA 120.2 rad.I want to mount it on outside back of case.I also bought shroud.Anyone reccomend a good quit fans to use?I want to stand it off from back a couple inches for ventilation.If anyone has done this could you post pics or link maybe where to buy brackets?Thanks for your help.

IanY
03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Buy a Swiftech RadBox. It comes with all the hardware. It costs just $20.

theelectic
03-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I used 3", 8-32 machine bolts with long, 35mm hex spacers and nylon lock nuts. Total cost, around $2. I mounted the bolts through the inside case fan out through the case, so I got around 45mm of bolt sticking out. Put the hex spacer on, then bolt it to the fan that's mounted on the radiator.

sundaysinner
03-08-2007, 02:01 PM
theelectic which way do you have fans blowing?

DVL73
03-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I just bought the rad.I want to mount it on outside back of case.I also bought shroud.Anyone reccomend a good quit fans to use?In some broad sense, people here are addicted to Yate Loons. I'm not saying that they are bad option, but for example Scythe SFF21 (S-Flex) is equally good if not better option and Nexus is another fantastic candidate too. Do you want to downvolt/control your fans or you want them to be silent at stock speed ?

I want to stand it off from back a couple inches for ventilation.If anyone has done this could you post pics or link maybe where to buy brackets?
This may give you some idea, my previous system build:

http://62.204.32.7:10973/TEMP/pa160_back.jpg

It was PA160 mount and you may notice the water temp sensor too (as pictured above). Also, you will notice that PSU is the enemy for the (radiator) ambient temps as hot air is accumulating in the obviously wrong place. It will affect the radiator performance, that's for sure, and chimney will improve your temps even more. My new build is with the PA120.2 mounted in the same fashion and PSU chimney is installed too. Unfortunately, my camera is stolen and I can't take the pictures (at this moment) of my new build. However, this may be useful as visual interpretation:

http://62.204.32.7:10973/TEMP/pa160_duct.jpg

It's piece from Sunbeam CPU ducting kit.

Hope this makes sense.

theelectic
03-08-2007, 03:43 PM
theelectic which way do you have fans blowing?

Push pull. I left the stock 120mm exhaust case fan in. The bolts mount through the stock case fan, through the case, then I put the radiator and fan on. Hopefully you can make it out in this lousy pic:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5595/dscn6088fj6.th.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn6088fj6.jpg)

So basically, all the air moves to the left.

sundaysinner
03-08-2007, 03:54 PM
downvolt/control your fans
yea would like the option to turn down unless the stock ones are really quiet then i would go with those.

sundaysinner
03-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Push pull. I left the stock 120mm exhaust case fan in.
are you pushing from inside the case out at end blowing and sucking towards back exiting out last fan?

theelectic
03-08-2007, 04:16 PM
are you pushing from inside the case out at end blowing and sucking towards back exiting out last fan?

Yup, all the air moves to the left. It's not ideal, but I figure with the 35mm or so of clearance between the case fan and the middle fan, the middle fan is not getting pure hot air, and I measured my inside case temps around 20C (1-2C above ambient).

Oh yeah, I also shut off the internal case fan, my load temps didn't change much within the 1 hour I left the fan off, but my inside case temps went up a lot so I turned the fan back on. So I know the hot exhaust air from inside the case is not a huge deal.

DVL73
03-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Oh yeah, I also shut off the internal case fan, my load temps didn't change much within the 1 hour I left the fan off, but my inside case temps went up a lot so I turned the fan back on. So I know the hot exhaust air from inside the case is not a huge deal.Short term exposure to the hot air from the case exhaust points is not major problem. Long term is. Several hours or days (if your PC is running 24x7 as in my case) worth of accumulated and hot ambient air can do anything but no good to the radiator performance. Also, you have to be aware that case positioning is the major factor too, when placing radiator externally. Is the case in the corner of the room or not? Are there are any near by obstructions (typically wall) on the way? Is it completely surrounded by the (desk) furniture so that there is no open air around ? ... and so on as so on.

I believe that my temps improved by at lest 4*C - 5*C when proper case positioning took place and hot air is properly ducted from the back of the case. At the same time, you won't believe how HOT my radiator was with the previous set-up. Now, it's barely warm. Luckily enough, I don't have any case exhaust fans (apart from the PSU) on the back of the case. They are on the top. Generally speaking, I would always recommend (if that's possible) that people use top or side exhaust points when mounting the radiators at the back of the case.

theelectic
03-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah, the radiator positioning I have now is not ideal, and the entire computer is under my desk, but I'm satisfied with the temps I'm getting (40C load, X2 3800+ @ 2.7GHz 1.45V). I'm sure I could get better performance with a top mount radiator and the case on top of my desk, but it's a no-go in my current work area. Gotta do the best with what you've got :)

sundaysinner
03-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I was also thinking of mounting it on bottom with fans blowing down.I have the coolermaster stacker 830 so side is all mesh pleanty air.My concern with that is heat rises and dont want to be suckin hot air back in .Anyone have experience mounting on bottom of case?