PDA

View Full Version : setting up a RAID1 array

xlink
03-07-2007, 10:00 PM
my step father(who is almost entirely computer illiterate) desires to setup a RAID1 array on his Dell(after hearting about it from a Dell tech)

I have never set up a RAID array(I assume it's just a matter of enabling it in BIOS, and installing RAID drivers when setting up windows)

the question is, for a RAID1 array, would a windows reinstall be necessary(my step father feels it would take him "hours" to get windows set up again as he likes it/with his apps ands chances are, for him that's probably accurate), or could the other drive simply be added and BIOS configured?

tuskenraider
03-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Well you need to make sure his system even has RAID capability. Since it's a Dell I doubt it entirely. Second, if he's looking to RAID1 for backup, he's looking at the wrong solution. RAID1 is for uptime, in case one drive dies another can be online to take its place. If one drive gets corrupted and the OS gets hosed, files deleted, etc., it happens to the other. But anyway, a reinstall usually is not necessary for a RAID1 setup and you need to find his purpose to correctly point him in the direction he needs to go.

Serra
03-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I'll agree with tuskenraider in most of his points... I too doubt that the Dell he has is capable of on-board RAID, and a re-install is generally unnecessary. A cheap SATA card capable of RAID-1 can be purchased for $70 (CAD) or less.

As far as whether it's a viable backup solution or not would depend more or less on what you want. Admittedly, a RAID-1 array will protect against the failure of one disk entirely... but if all you want is a solution that will store files and don't mind the idea of having to install Windows if the disk fails, there is an easier method. Simply plug in a second SATA drive and use an automated backup program to back up his files every night (or on whatever schedule you want).

For that, I would personally suggest either Cobian Backup (no file compression but it's free and works like a charm) or Acronis (not free, but offers file compression of around 50%).

xlink
03-08-2007, 04:20 PM
thanks for your help.

I'll suggest the latter to him as it seems that RAID1 is not what he would desire

one question though, why wouldn't a Dell board support onboard raid. I know they're pieces of crap, but Intel has been integrating chipset level RAID for a while, would it be cheaper for them to get board w/ onboard RAID0 and 1 and use that for their RAID configurations over a cheap SATA controller?