PDA

View Full Version : RMA the KX7-333 or not?

deerhunter
06-26-2002, 11:12 AM
Abit told me to RMA the KX7 as the solution to not working with the AMD 2200. I must admit I am a little leary about modding the bridges on a CPU that I don't even know works normal.

Do you guys think that RMA'ing will get me an Abit that works normal with the 2200?

Thanks for the opinions.

xgman
06-26-2002, 11:21 AM
No, I would just close the L3 bridges. It will unlcok the cpu and you can run any multiplier. I fyou don't want to do that I would RMA the board and get an epox 8k3a which I have one running on right now and it doesn't require a mod, but nice to have the mod anyway.

Hardass
06-26-2002, 11:30 AM
What is your chip running on that mobo?

deerhunter
06-26-2002, 11:37 AM
both chips in my sig run on this Abit. I'm a lot confused as to why they recommend RMAing? The, poor english speaking, tech I talked to said I must send the mobo to them for testing. I asked, don't you have some there to test? He said, yes but I must RMA.
I asked about the BIOS posted on their site that was supposed to make the 2200 work and the tech couldn't understand what I was saying. I asked whether there is a new BIOS forthcoming and he wouldn't confirm or deny. eeem say, go to webiste and RMA. WTF? :confused:

damn1
06-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Take your time and make this board work ! It's worth your trouble. onnecting L3 bidges may or may not void your warranty, but i bet getting a cheapo duron and reflashing the bios to newest on KX7-333 can fix your issue.

TheDude
06-27-2002, 04:53 AM
Hi all,

First time here. Did not know about this place and was floored when I saw some of the users here. Evidently this is where the big dogs hang.
Anyway...my Xp2200 will not boot with my AbitKX7R...I thought the unlock went well..looks nice and tidy. Popped an old 1100 cpu in and it won't post either. Checked all my connections, reseated cpu , cards, etc. Running out of ideas. I did happen to notice that after the vapochill kicks the board on the red reset light flickers for just a split second. Any ideas anyone?
Thanks!

damn1
06-27-2002, 05:26 AM
Keep it simple. Get a good power supply (at least 300W brand name), put in a single DDR stick closest to the CPU, AGP card that works, and nothing else. Also better make sure nothing is caught between your backplane and the motherboard (screws, in-laws, lead toys)... Unplug all the light and case switch headers. Clear the CMOS. Use the screwdrver to turn the puppy on, wait for 20sec. If it's dead, it's dead.

P.S. Welcome to the forum

TheDude
06-27-2002, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the welcome,

I have a brand new Antec 420w PS that I jumped to make sure it works. I will remove the board and put it on a wooden cutting board to make sure it is not shorting on something...swap the ram around..the manual says use dimm4 but the diagram for the power pins on the header was wrong in the manual so your point is well taken there. Good suggestions all and thanks. I am excited to find this forum... a lot of you guys are well known OCers and I expect to learn a lot here!

OPPAINTER
06-27-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by deerhunter
both chips in my sig run on this Abit. I'm a lot confused as to why they recommend RMAing? The, poor english speaking, tech I talked to said I must send the mobo to them for testing. I asked, don't you have some there to test? He said, yes but I must RMA.
I asked about the BIOS posted on their site that was supposed to make the 2200 work and the tech couldn't understand what I was saying. I asked whether there is a new BIOS forthcoming and he wouldn't confirm or deny. eeem say, go to webiste and RMA. WTF? :confused:

Abit doesn't know what they talking about, they would have to RMA every single mobo that trys useing an XP2200:D

OPP

damn1
06-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by TheDude
Thanks for the welcome,

I have a brand new Antec 420w PS that I jumped to make sure it works. I will remove the board and put it on a wooden cutting board to make sure it is not shorting on something...swap the ram around..the manual says use dimm4 but the diagram for the power pins on the header was wrong in the manual so your point is well taken there. Good suggestions all and thanks. I am excited to find this forum... a lot of you guys are well known OCers and I expect to learn a lot here!

Sheesh, i didn't mean to say run outside the case.... The mounting points on the case should all be conductive, because often they are used to provide a cleaner ground connection by motherboard manufacturers. No wooden or plastic stuff, please...

There's one mounting point on top of the motherboard that has a component dangerously close to it, with a screw running a high chance of shorting out. I just used a hard drive screw witha flat head there... otherwise, it should work :)

TheDude
06-27-2002, 12:22 PM
That's why I said I would remove it from the case..in case a screw was shorting it..at this point I want to eliminate any possiblity. If it does not post tonight, it's being exchanged tomorrow. thanks

damn1
06-27-2002, 03:24 PM
Abit shoulda known better, damn !

majormav
06-27-2002, 03:59 PM
problems ....problems with abit boards.... cant dispute that they are quick as all the big boys use em but why have 1 problem after another .... i tried the kx7 it lasted 3days couldent get it to do any serious o/c even with vmods... so i gave up and went back to epox just waiting to get my mitts on a thouroughbred bet i dont have the same problems ...

damn1
06-27-2002, 04:08 PM
I see 4 problems with KX7-333:
1. missing caps to cut cost (i guess we in TX have a different mindset from homies up in Tai)
2. that screw is way too close to some components (my near-sighted self can handle sitting down and looking for the right screw)
3. cpu vmod needs be done on the factory
4. all them boys who wanna roll with the overclockers shouldn't be allowed to buy Abit parts unless they pass some kind of electronics IQ test :p

That list is a lot shorter than the gripes that i have against any other board on the market

TheDude
06-27-2002, 05:09 PM
Well...guess I can't run with the big dogs. Tried everything...the KX7R will not post. Gonna RMA it. Could have just been DOA and I pissed away 2 days messing with it. Should I get the same board? If not what other board would be best with 2200 tbred and 400mhz ram?? No onboard anything please. Thinking about the Enmic 8TTX2+ almost identical to the Epox...Thanks

Couldn't find that board..getting the epox8k3a+...yeah I know! but I don't wanna have to do the volt mods and I don't care if it's not the fastest pc in the solar system...geesh my buds think I'm extreme...they should meet you guys!

Porch Puppy

mdzcpa
06-28-2002, 03:27 PM
I had the same trouble with my Tbred 2200 not posting in my KX7. I was sure my unlock procedure was perfect. I tried the unlock procedure a few times just to make sure....but no boot. I was sure it was the KX7...I was bummed.

But, I tried the unlock procedure one last time, this time laying the conductive grease on nice and thick...almost globbed it on.

Slapped it into the KX7 and it booted right up:) It's been great since, able to loop 3DMark2001SE for hours at a time at 202FSB at CAS 2, 4 way, 2,5,3 2T.

I think the problem lies with the Tbred needing very good unlocking bridges.

That doesn't discount the fact that a stock locked TBred will not run in a KX7. There is no excuse for that! I've been a diehard Abit for years, but this is really just too much of an oversight to forgive. Abit blew it bigtime.

But to those having troubles with an unlocked Tbred on the KX7, I suggest you revisit the unlocking procedures and get those bridges adequately connected. If you do it right...it will work:)

TheDude
06-28-2002, 04:01 PM
Glad you sorted it out. While I wait for the Epox, I will put another coat on the bridges. Mine must have just been DOA because I popped a known good 1100 in it and still no post. I have built over a dozen machines and this was my first DOA board. Oh well it happens. Hell....I will probably get rid of the Epox in 6 months and move on to the next one anyway...never owned one before and kinda curious..always used Abit or Asus in the past. I would like to try a Gigabyte sometime also. For me it's all about fun and learning. I come off looking foolish sometimes, but hopefully my mistakes will help someone else avoid them. There are newbs that know less and gods like OPP whom I will never catch. The really cool thing is how everyone here is willing to help, nomatter what level you are on.

mdzcpa
06-28-2002, 04:36 PM
Your never foolish for trying to learn:)

Good luck with your Epox:)

deerhunter
06-28-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
I have built over a dozen machines... I come off looking foolish sometimes... The really cool thing is how everyone here is willing to help, nomatter what level you are on.
Been there done that, and agree, it is nice to get help from the top to the newbie! Well said!

himura-dono
06-30-2002, 11:14 AM
what, you thought this was [H]?

TheDude
06-30-2002, 01:43 PM
LOL.....not [H]ardly! I don't think the ops here will ever let that happen. This is beyond a doubt the best forum I have ever seen.