PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up a Prometeia on a Radeon 9800Pro

Bleam!
05-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Hey lads,

I'm working on my new rig...
I've got a mach2 on my AMD, and have a mach1 (Intel one) left that I don't use, but I want to use it for a future R9800Pro i'm going to buy soon

Does anyone know how to attach it to the 9800Pro?
It's for constant use (24/7/365)

Bleam.
:toast:

twiztdskatr
05-28-2003, 11:40 AM
:eek: Wow thats nice, maybe you should PM OPPainter, he has a VapoChill on his 9800P, maybe he could offer tips...

Bleam!
05-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by twiztdskatr
:eek: Wow thats nice, maybe you should PM OPPainter, he has a VapoChill on his 9800P, maybe he could offer tips...

o well ty :D

Method Man
05-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Clamp that sucker on there :)

OPPAINTER
05-28-2003, 12:07 PM
I use C-clamps, I have a steel plate on the back of the card.

OPP

Bleam!
05-28-2003, 12:11 PM
OOOOOookay o_0
Is there any efficient way of hooking up the prom with help of the mounting holes?
or woulnd't it work? :/

OPPAINTER
05-28-2003, 12:20 PM
No clue, never hooked up a promy, if I did i would still use my clamp setup, worked great with my MCW462 block and now the Vapo.

OPP

Holst
05-28-2003, 12:46 PM
I think Bleam is looking for something more..... how shall I say.

I think "less ugly" is the best...

I dont see why you wont be able to mod a prommy mounting bracket to fit. If you can get the hole for the evap over the core you can probably clamp the plate down pretty hard against the allready installed surround on the core with two bolts.
You can add neoprene to reduce condensation, You will have to be quite neat if you dont want to cover you ram up.

Maybee one day ill have a spare prommy to try this on :D

Bulldog20
05-28-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by OPPAINTER
No clue, never hooked up a promy, if I did i would still use my clamp setup, worked great with my MCW462 block and now the Vapo.

OPP
Lo Opp, hows tricks?
Just waiting for my new GPU cooler :D.
Here's my old one ;)

http://www.bulldog.34sp.com/cpuspeeds/Card2.JPG

Cheers

JCviggen
05-28-2003, 12:55 PM
its easier on the 9800 than on the 9700... less caps in the way :)

piece of cake with a C-clamp

Kunaak
05-28-2003, 01:17 PM
what I did was take a spare CPU bracket from the prometeia, cut the socket legs off so it's no longer usuable on the CPU socket.
but its nice and flat.
the Prometeia mounts into this thing really well.
then in the spare metal off to the side just place the modified CPU bracket over the GPU core, poke a pencil to the metal to make a note where the holes are, drill some holes there.
then take some nuts and bolts, and mount the modified CPU bracket to the core, but leave alot of room around thesides and fill that with some seal string from the prometeia.
mount the prometeia, then seal around the whole monstrosity with some spare seal string.
I have only used this once like this when playing with some Dry Ice.

unfortunatly I don't have my 9800 pro at the moment to take a photo for you, but I should have it back by this weekend or early next week.

short version.
you just take your spare CPU bracket and adapt that to the videocard.

Bleam!
05-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Kunaak
what I did was take a spare CPU bracket from the prometeia, cut the socket legs off so it's no longer usuable on the CPU socket.
but its nice and flat.
the Prometeia mounts into this thing really well.
then in the spare metal off to the side just place the modified CPU bracket over the GPU core, poke a pencil to the metal to make a note where the holes are, drill some holes there.
then take some nuts and bolts, and mount the modified CPU bracket to the core, but leave alot of room around thesides and fill that with some seal string from the prometeia.
mount the prometeia, then seal around the whole monstrosity with some spare seal string.
I have only used this once like this when playing with some Dry Ice.

unfortunatly I don't have my 9800 pro at the moment to take a photo for you, but I should have it back by this weekend or early next week.

short version.
you just take your spare CPU bracket and adapt that to the videocard.

Thanks for the Idea, going to do it that way :) :toast:
I'll let u know when I'm done with it.. :banana:

Bleam!
05-29-2003, 04:48 AM
I still don't figure out your way of working Kunaak :/
so this is my prom head:

http://users.pandora.be/bleamzorz/promhead1.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/bleamzorz/promhead2.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/bleamzorz/promhead3.jpg

1. What socket legs?
2. What spare metal off the side?
3. If I drill holes on the places, won't I damage the head?

Method Man
05-29-2003, 05:01 AM
Red is the clamps

Blue is the graphics card

light blue is a long piece of neoprene

Just do it like that and remember to do LOTS of condensation prevention.:D

NyCUndaGrounD
05-29-2003, 06:42 AM
Yea yur goin to need some big clamps to clamp that prom head. Just cut out several neoprene pads to the shape of the copper coil and clamp it down with more neoprene pads on the back.

Bleam!
05-29-2003, 07:31 AM
What.. is... neoprene?

jinu117
05-29-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Bleam!
What.. is... neoprene?

Some mousepad is made with it some handrest, some wet suit, its "new-age" material that doesn't pass water, light, flexible and should be cheap...:P